Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 256789 LastLast
Results 91 to 105 of 134

Thread: Add your support for OPEN ONLY POWERPLAY!

  1. #91
    Originally Posted by UmbraRex View Post (Source)
    *looks down the slope and sees COD in spaceships
    I can't wait to run commando pro in my vulture and knife other ships in the back.

  2. #92
    Originally Posted by SCSkunk View Post (Source)
    Some of you are arguing that Frontier is taking your toys away, but you admit that you don't even use them. I've seen mention of Prismatics and Pack Hounds. Power Play sucks. Neglected feature but wrong way to fix it. But no mention of how Power Play works. We were promised equality across all modes...THAT was the original mistake.
    The last point I'd generally agree with, but as I said before, this ultimately sets a precedent to simply not trust anything they say going forward.

    That aside, yeah, I am expressing concern over a feature I've not even used yet; the current design sucks, and I've been waiting to see how FDev might develop it - which is the smart thing to do, surely.

    And don't give me the Griefer argument.
    Right, because your experience is everyone's? Frankly if I encounter one incident of griefing/ganking/whatever-ing it'll be one too many - no one should ever have to tolerate idiots intruding on their own gaming time (hence my preference for SP). Pretty much all my experiences of MP over the years have been marred by that kind of behaviour, see also the casual racism/sexism/homophobia/etc. I would hope/assume Elite has a slightly higher class of players, but it's still online on XBL, so little would surprise me.

    I'm not playing Elite at the moment, but I'll try to grit my teeth and give Open before I'm forced into it, and I reserve the right to potentially log on any gankers.

  3. #93
    Originally Posted by BongoBaggins View Post (Source)
    I don't think there's any need, personally. The community are massively behind this one, for a change.
    You get interdicted in powerplay all the time, so it doesn't make a dif to me. You have to go into powerplay expecting to defend yourself, so yeah, I don't give a toss either way.

  4. #94
    As someone who doesn't engage in PP and as such doens't give the slightest bit of f* if it becomes OO or not, this really feels like a move to please a vocal portion of the player base rather than a thoughtful GD decision.

    Open is always heavily instantiated and if you "force" players in Open you'll just see people using various kind of tweaks such as setting up their networks to ensure they are always instantiated separately or other nasty stuff.

    I dunno how they could fix PP but my guess is that it likely would require quite a bit of game design instead of just cockblocking stuff.

  5. #95
    No.

    Sorry, but I don't buy the argument that it is uniquely unfair for players in Solo or PG to be able to influence PP. I live in the UK and play on the xbox, so if you are in west coast USA or Australia we'll never be on at the same time for you to directly interdict me, if you play on PC or PS4 we'll never meet, even if you are in the UK and on the same platform instancing means its far from certain we'll cross paths regularly or at all.

    The open only argument has always (mostly) been a disingenuous claim from pew pewers hoping for more cannon fodder. If FDev give them what they claim they want they'll still be unhappy because those of us who don't always hang out in open aren't going to change our minds about being other peoples cannon fodder and suddenly see the 'light'. Those of us who do like PP but aren't such fans of open will be less well disposed to FDev in future and everyone else will carry on as before, including still not being able to do directly interact with other players if they are separated by time zones or different platforms.

  6. #96
    Right, I'm tired of all this complaining but now that Frontier are actually doing something I think it's time we push them to go further!

    They say all the modes are equal but this has not been true for years so this must be corrected! I'm calling for Solo only CQC! For too long, this content as been kept from solo players and it's about time Frontier addressed this blatant disregard for fairness!

  7. #97
    Originally Posted by A Sleeping Bear View Post (Source)
    Right, I'm tired of all this complaining but now that Frontier are actually doing something I think it's time we push them to go further!

    They say all the modes are equal but this has not been true for years so this must be corrected! I'm calling for Solo only CQC! For too long, this content as been kept from solo players and it's about time Frontier addressed this blatant disregard for fairness!

    Is this sarcasm?
    I'm not sure if you're being serious or joking but it would seems Frontier isn't preventing anyone from playing CQC on xbox. That our own decisions if we choose not to have Xbox Live Gold.

    Not on the topic, forcing players to move to Open in order to participate in Power Play when it currently exists outside of Open is a concern. I would argue that if someone doesn't/cant access CQC they also cant access Open but that's a different topic entirely but one that individual can easily resolve without any developer input

  8. #98
    If I were truly cynical...I'd suggest that the announcement was simply to distract from the failure and general rejection of FDev's previous and present design choices post Horizons

    I can't see anyone mentioning Squadrons any more for instance or even the alleged and wholly mysterious Q4 exploration or mining updates at all... The fact that the announcement came at a time when the general consensus across the board from reddit to YouTube to here was somewhat of a less... charitable... nature.

    FDev simply dodged the ball on the relevant issues raised by the community at large and opted to set the community alight to detract from and avoid the main issue...which still remains a lack of overall gameplay and poor narrative content.

    Whilst I've no iron in the fire over the Power play issues and gently moving that aside as blatant populist mode fiddling for the moment, still doesn't add any gameplay mechanic for anyone not power play or PvP oriented. The proposed change leaves the game in exactly the same general gameplay poor state as before the announcement...

    Very clever...burning a few witches to amuse the baying mob

  9. #99
    Originally Posted by Mole HD View Post (Source)
    If I were truly cynical...I'd suggest that the announcement was simply to distract from the failure and general rejection of FDev's previous and present design choices post Horizons

    I can't see anyone mentioning Squadrons any more for instance or even the alleged and wholly mysterious Q4 exploration or mining updates at all... The fact that the announcement came at a time when the general consensus across the board from reddit to YouTube to here was somewhat of a less... charitable... nature.

    FDev simply dodged the ball on the relevant issues raised by the community at large and opted to set the community alight to detract from and avoid the main issue...which still remains a lack of overall gameplay and poor narrative content.

    Whilst I've no iron in the fire over the Power play issues and gently moving that aside as blatant populist mode fiddling for the moment, still doesn't add any gameplay mechanic for anyone not power play or PvP oriented. The proposed change leaves the game in exactly the same general gameplay poor state as before the announcement...

    Very clever...burning a few witches to amuse the baying mob
    It actually may not be a distraction because at least someone on the Elite Wiki thinks that works hand in hand with Power Play
    Link - http://elite-dangerous.wikia.com/wiki/Squadrons

    The major concern tho is this....as proposed it would mean that Squadrons would be Open Only and that's going to tip over the pot

  10. #100
    Originally Posted by NewBlacksmurf View Post (Source)
    It actually may not be a distraction because at least someone on the Elite Wiki thinks that works hand in hand with Power Play
    Link - http://elite-dangerous.wikia.com/wiki/Squadrons

    The major concern tho is this....as proposed it would mean that Squadrons would be Open Only and that's going to tip over the pot
    Aye...there were concerns over that before the hullabaloo over PP. Mind you, it's a forgone conclusion that Squadrons would serve no purpose in solo play as would fleet carriers. I'm still of the opinion that Fleet carriers will be the paid DLC content FDev have hinted at.

    All in all, the entire shenanigans being proposed with this beyond series and FDev's recent suggestion that they'd like to see more players in open mode to sample the singularly adversarial content is pushing E-D further in a direction I'm not particularly keen on from a personal viewpoint. But that's just me.

    These changes may be needed to inject some fresh interest and perspective into the game and drive us crusty old has been's out of the running, who knows. We'll see what happens with the remainder of the unmentioned updates in Q4 to see if it's worth hanging about for.

  11. #101

  12. #102
    Originally Posted by Mole HD View Post (Source)
    Aye...there were concerns over that before the hullabaloo over PP. Mind you, it's a forgone conclusion that Squadrons would serve no purpose in solo play as would fleet carriers. I'm still of the opinion that Fleet carriers will be the paid DLC content FDev have hinted at.

    All in all, the entire shenanigans being proposed with this beyond series and FDev's recent suggestion that they'd like to see more players in open mode to sample the singularly adversarial content is pushing E-D further in a direction I'm not particularly keen on from a personal viewpoint. But that's just me.

    These changes may be needed to inject some fresh interest and perspective into the game and drive us crusty old has been's out of the running, who knows. We'll see what happens with the remainder of the unmentioned updates in Q4 to see if it's worth hanging about for.

    For the sake of argument tho….
    I'd assume that a large enough amount of commanders would go play in Open if there was an opt in/off feature of being attacked by other players outside of having a Bounty, wanted, etc.

    That's the problem...they designed a game that literally allows people to harass others.
    Do that and then this Power Play change isn't as big of a deal for a large amount. From there is only a what else are they doing in Open Only.

    I don't agree that Squads and the Mother ship stuff only makes sense in Open tho….it makes sense in solo too it would just be NPCs vs real people. Its literally how the hanger pilots work now so I can't forsee it being some hard thing to manage.

  13. #103
    Originally Posted by NewBlacksmurf View Post (Source)
    For the sake of argument tho….
    I'd assume that a large enough amount of commanders would go play in Open if there was an opt in/off feature of being attacked by other players outside of having a Bounty, wanted, etc.

    That's the problem...they designed a game that literally allows people to harass others.
    Do that and then this Power Play change isn't as big of a deal for a large amount. From there is only a what else are they doing in Open Only.

    I don't agree that Squads and the Mother ship stuff only makes sense in Open tho….it makes sense in solo too it would just be NPCs vs real people. Its literally how the hanger pilots work now so I can't forsee it being some hard thing to manage.
    FDev have proven very reluctant to add features such as this so far...namely NPC crew and NPC wings, preferring to opt for the forced multiplayer option instead. After all, it's much cheaper having inexpensive players providing the content as opposed to having some expensive devs program it in

  14. #104
    Originally Posted by Mole HD View Post (Source)
    FDev have proven very reluctant to add features such as this so far...namely NPC crew and NPC wings, preferring to opt for the forced multiplayer option instead. After all, it's much cheaper having inexpensive players providing the content as opposed to having some expensive devs program it in

    But it literally already exists so there not expense

  15. #105
    Originally Posted by NewBlacksmurf View Post (Source)
    But it literally already exists so there not expense
    If NPC multicrew existed...as it had been asked and pleaded for the same as basic NPC wingmen you could hire at a station like the SLF pilots, I would say it might work. Squadrons is simply an in game alternative to Discord and Inara to enable player groups to organise... Fleet carriers are a totally separate entity and not really connected with squadrons at all. They require (from what I can gather from what's been said) multicrew to operate...which rules out a solo commander being able to operate one either from a flight control standpoint or from a logistics one. They need so far unnamed *resources* to be able to function and update onboard facilities, as well as other functions we don't know about yet.

    It's not like they're being touted as individual player owned stations as such...financially, I've no doubt there's quite a few solo players who could already afford one, assuming fleet carriers aren't the paid DLC content as I suspect...but it would be reduced to a floating hulk requiring a set number of multiplayer crew to operate and fly it ruling out the carriers being available in solo. It's designed that way through FDev's current philosophy...for better or worse.

    Squadrons and the fleet carriers initially signalled FDev's intent toward a focus on multiplayer content with beyond, as much as the significance was largely missed amidst the shouting...the proposed power play shift certainly confirms it.

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 256789 LastLast