Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.
Thread: Is pad hogging going to be the new powerplay META?

When you dock you automatically go into the hangar and vanish into a limbo instance while you do your business. When you want to undock you get put back- if there are others in front undocking at that very same time wait or be put into another instance. Once you jump out you are reformed back into your wing.

The thing to remember is that this will be 1:1- if they are blocking you, they are not blocking elsewhere. And, if they have alt accounts they will need a lot of them to actually do harm.

Serious question as I didn't do much power play (only did some module shopping for prismatics, pack hounds, APAs and ImpHammers)

Are there really that many outpost systems affected by this? Each and every time I did my 750 merits for rank three I used my cutter and dropped the stuff at a large starport.

Is padhogging in pp really a thing? I much more got annoyed by it at the rescue ships, which are not affected by the current proposal, or at a CG which is also not affected.

In the absolute worst case - a system with only one Industrial outpost, so 1M,2S pads - you'd need three ships to completely block it, which would need to remain there continuously. That's three ships not doing something productive for their power. If it's a more conventional system - maybe two outposts and a surface port? - and most of the contests in Powerplay are towards the centre of the bubble where bigger systems are more frequent - you need more ships.

Leaving aside that there's a very easy way for an organised group (like Powerplayers!) to bypass it. It's maybe not in the spirit of the rules, but it is within the letter of them, and is sufficiently easy that people probably won't waste time and ships trying to blockade.

1) Someone in a medium ship who is not currently carrying any PP things which would be lost logs into Solo and docks with the outpost, before logging back into Open. This will put them - docked - in a separate instance.

2) They then launch from the outpost, and wing in their colleagues, who have never left Open. The Wing bonus to instancing means they're extremely likely to end up in the instance with the clear pad. They can cycle round this way for a few goes until their business is done.

3) The players AFK on the pads never know its happened.

4. This is the last staff post in this thread. #19
    Lead Designer- Elite: Dangerous Frontier Employee
    Hello Commanders!

We're looking (no ETA, no guarantee) at ways to fix/mitigate pad blocking regardless of Powerplay changes that may or may not happen.

Per-second docking fees, I hope.

"
    Dear Frontier Support

I didn't read the news since the last patch and left a script running over the weekend to fill up my Lynx Bulk Carrier with PP cargo. Now my game account shows 0 Cr.

What can you do to help me here?

Cmdr Thrust
    Bradford
    "

Originally Posted by wstephenson View Post (Source)
    Per-second docking fees, I hope.

"
    Dear Frontier Support

I didn't read the news since the last patch and left a script running over the weekend to fill up my Lynx Bulk Carrier with PP cargo. Now my game account shows 0 Cr.

What can you do to help me here?

Cmdr Thrust
    Bradford
    "
    And I hope you are not only jesting with that quote, but also your first sentence.

I bet the solution will be along the lines of regarding an instance as full when all landing pads are used up, thus not putting any more players into that instance unless winged up with someone already there.

Originally Posted by Bigmaec View Post (Source)
    Serious question as I didn't do much power play (only did some module shopping for prismatics, pack hounds, APAs and ImpHammers)

Are there really that many outpost systems affected by this? Each and every time I did my 750 merits for rank three I used my cutter and dropped the stuff at a large starport.

Is padhogging in pp really a thing? I much more got annoyed by it at the rescue ships, which are not affected by the current proposal, or at a CG which is also not affected.
    A shortage of docking pads at outposts is already a problem, especially if you are near one of the starting systems. Its not a big deal really, one can always switch to solo to get an open pad, except now with the proposed PP changes maybe you cant.
    More endless complication for little result, diverting resources from real problems. Its always easier to monkey wrench something than fix something.

Just make it so that when you enter the docking bay you drop out of the instance. Add in maximum "top-side" pad waiting time of, say, 8 minutes and then either move the pad automatically to the docking bay or fine the commander. When you want to launch from the docking bay or return to the surface, you're presented with a "calling lift" message while you're dropped into the instance.
    Could be explained in Lore since most hangers, that includes outposts, stations and planets, look like they could accommodate two bays - one on top of the other, so the lift you're waiting for may well be servicing the second dock.

Originally Posted by Sandro Sammarco View Post (Source)
    Hello Commanders!

We're looking (no ETA, no guarantee) at ways to fix/mitigate pad blocking regardless of Powerplay changes that may or may not happen.
    Ejector seats!

Lovely chocolate cookies!

If I had multiple accounts, and was trying to protect a small system that had outposts only, I'd use my other accounts to defend the system this way.
    Of course it would most likely be a futile attempt due to networking, but still.

Originally Posted by Limoncello Lizard View Post (Source)
    If you can't switch modes, how are you going to be able to dock at an outpost, rescue ship or base when there are players deliberately hogging the pad?
    Very good point, and I bet you are right.

Originally Posted by Limoncello Lizard View Post (Source)
    If you can't switch modes, how are you going to be able to dock at an outpost, rescue ship or base when there are players deliberately hogging the pad?
    Log out, log in to open until the instance is reset.
    Low wake out, and back in resets the instance as well IIRC.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast