Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.
Thread: Computer locks up when sitting in port

Computer locks up when sitting in port

When playing the PC version it will consistently lock up my computer when I sit in any station for more than a few minutes at a time. This never happens when using the VR version. It happened before updating Windows to the Spring Creator's Update and continues after. Since it locks up the whole computer I don't get a crash log. I have an i7-5280k, 32GB DDR4, GTX 1070.

Welcome to "sucks to be you" problems that could be caused by everything (though with hard freezes I'm less tempted to blame graphics).

Make sure your power supply is sufficient and that it does not get hot. Clean out the fins of the CPU cooler. If you are overclocking, don't. If you have all RAM slots populated, check if the crashes go away with 16GB. On the off chance that it is graphics-related, enable VSync or a hard frame rate cap in the game or in graphics driver settings.

You could also check the case fan(s) and filters. Mine need regular cleaning!

Try monitoring the psu voltages (software!), I found one of my PCs was having a 5v line problem, but only caused a problem when driving the graphics card hard..

4. This is the last staff post in this thread. #4
    Hey ScottPhil,

While this does appear to sounds like a hardware issue we should be able to confirm this if you could provide a DxDiag for us through our ticketing system we would be more than happy to assist you further.

(the DxDiag will allow us to look for things like outdated drivers current system specifications etc.)

I also have the crashes at ports. Somtimes everytime i dock.
    This started the same day as a windows 10 update.
    I have checked the integrety of the game, and nothing wrong was found.
    Got a Intel Core i7-7700K , 4 sticks of Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3000MHz 8GB ram (32 in total), ASUS ROG Strix Z270F Gaming motherboard and a MSI Geforce 1060 3GB videocard with the 390.77 driver.
    Using an older video driver after the new one refused to work with my vr headset.

I'm having the same issue. I run Windows 10 and I don't know if it relates to an update or not but for the last couple of weeks the game freezes only when in the station menus. Outside of the station the game never freezes. It will happen several times when I'm browsing passenger missions and I have to pull up the task manager and kill Elite then restart the game. I've been monitoring hardware temps and there is nothing out of the ordinary. Prior to two weeks ago this issue never occurred. I've tried updating my video drivers but the problem has persisted.

I have the same problem, usually in station when browsing the station services pages, hi spec rig too. I've submitted a reasonable number of crash reports, never heard back from FDev.

I have the spring creators update no problems here just to let you know...…………………………………..
    I would try using the log out machine function in the launcher options then a router reset and pc reboot
    my load times connection related wise(ship spin) were notably slower after the spring update mind you...…………………………….
    my advice when changing driver for win 10 creators edition
    download latest nvidia driver package for win 10
    find current nvidia driver folder normally c:\nvidia and delete it
    next reboot pc without nvidia driver installed it will boot to low res generic like safe mode (for clean registry)
    run nvidia installer package clean install option
    reboot pc

Hmmm.. sitting in dock (especially underground) may be a situation where the framerate is especially high (staring at a low-detail wall with the station name). This would suggest a potential hardware issue or hardware driver issue.

If what you describe as "computer locks up" as it's totally locked (reset or power down is all you can do to get it back), then can you try setting the display frequency to 60hz (or similarly low frequency) and enable VSYNC? This is just for a test. This will effectively "lock" the framerate to 60fps. If you can sit in dock all day long with the framerate capped, that will at least give us some direction to start analyzing the potential problems.

Originally Posted by Sharkfood View Post (Source)
    Hmmm.. sitting in dock (especially underground) may be a situation where the framerate is especially high (staring at a low-detail wall with the station name). This would suggest a potential hardware issue or hardware driver issue.

If what you describe as "computer locks up" as it's totally locked (reset or power down is all you can do to get it back), then can you try setting the display frequency to 60hz (or similarly low frequency) and enable VSYNC? This is just for a test. This will effectively "lock" the framerate to 60fps. If you can sit in dock all day long with the framerate capped, that will at least give us some direction to start analyzing the potential problems.
    The computer doesn't lock up, just the Elite application. I have to open the task manager, kill the process and then relaunch the game. I can't speak for the others but my frame rate is static inside the station (usually right at 60 fps). I've run Windows monitoring as well as hardware monitoring and there is nothing out of the ordinary going on prior to Elite freezing. No high CPU activity, no low frame rates, normal temps, etc.

A reboot doesn't help and on rare occasion I have no freezes in the station at all and the next station I hit I might have to restart Elite 5 or 6 times.

For me this started out of the blue approximately two weeks ago. I had made no hardware changes and had not updated any drivers or software that would have corresponded to the time frame with Elite starting to freeze. It is possible it corresponded with a Windows Update since I have that set to automatic.

I reinstalled Windows 10 from scratch about two months ago but Elite was running normally both before and after the Win 10 re-installation.

Originally Posted by DarthHobbes View Post (Source)
    The computer doesn't lock up, just the Elite application. I have to open the task manager, kill the process and then relaunch the game.
    Bummer... so that's not the problem.

One other question- how long have you let it sit in that locked-up state? I know mine (I live on the west coast/USA) it can take several moments before I get a network disconnected message from Elite so wondering if perhaps this might be it? It can sit there apparently locked-up for 3-5 minutes before it finally goes to a network timeout screen.

If you can get it to freeze in an opportune time, try walking away for a bite to eat or coffee and see if when you get back you get the black screen with the error above. In my case, it was an incompatible wireless card drivers when I started getting this to happen and could it simply be Windows Update has put bad network drivers that have a problem with Elite in place?

When mine is in that state, it is fully locked up... task manager shows it's not responding, etc. It's totally frozen for several minutes but *eventually* will yield the error message and unfreeze. Something also worth checking out!

Good luck!

sounds network related to me too coupled with the fact the hired amazon ECS(elastic that don't really stretch very far) low tier servers this game runs on aint exactly high bandwidth

Originally Posted by STRONTIUM DOG View Post (Source)
    sounds network related to me too coupled with the fact the hired amazon ECS(elastic that don't really stretch very far) low tier servers this game runs on aint exactly high bandwidth
    I could be wrong as I'm certainly not a network expert, but if it were network related on Frontier's end I would expect more people to be experiencing the same issue. I also don't think it's the network on my end as sometimes just sitting in the station menus not accessing anything and the game will still freeze up. I've got high speed fiber and my latency in other games usually sits around 8-12 MS.

Originally Posted by DarthHobbes View Post (Source)
    I could be wrong as I'm certainly not a network expert, but if it were network related on Frontier's end I would expect more people to be experiencing the same issue.
    In my case, it wasn't on Frontier's end. It was a ninja update (for Windows 10) where it performed an update to the OS followed by an update to a PCIe network adapter that only impacted Elite: Dangerous. I later discovered the prior drivers would not work post-Win 10 update and there were no newer drivers available for this older adapter that worked either (Windows Update installed a totally different driver as well). Everything else worked- TF2, Steam, Rust, etc... just Elite would have the random fit.

My solution was I actually had to buy a USB 3.0 network adapter which had better support and problem solved. So this can very well be something that can be fixed locally and yet everything ELSE works great on the PC at hand.

I wonder as a test if you turn of router whilst sitting in a station do you get the same freez or do you get a error message
    as it may not be a network thing after all but a driver issue in which case try my recommended driver install method post 8
    also I know for a fact that windows spring creators edition does reset your soundcard configs so you might wanna check those
    my win10 version is 1803 (os build 17134.48) and a slightly older GTX 980 driver version 385.41 no gforce exp installed latest avail for that card is version 397 but I tend not to update this if things running smooth
    which they currently are

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast