Page 21 of 46 FirstFirst ... 1117181920212223242531 ... LastLast
Results 301 to 315 of 685

Thread: Sick and tired that Solo players get treated like second class citizen

  1. #301
    Originally Posted by Jex =TE= View Post (Source)
    What does this mean for the players? It means yet more disruption and arguments and more bugs and broken gameplay as well as a feature developed that once again, like when it was first implemented, nobody wants.

    Fdev have literally gone full retard here. Everyone hated PP when it came out and they want to give us more of that crap over other stuff we could have instead?
    They made the right choice, and if you're complaining about it and you don't do PowerPlay with no valid reason.. then you have no influence in this discussion.

    Originally Posted by Jex =TE= View Post (Source)
    So ED should be ONE frikkin universe and make PVP consensual, or whatever they need to do so we can all play along together but all this redesigning it getting simply ridiculous.
    You cannot stop player interaction. Developers can only restrict gameplay and place boundaries so that players behave. If you read up on Bartle's types of players you will find there are 4 of them.


    Bartle's Player Types, http://www.gamasutra.com/view/featur..._styles_a_.php


    Since some players use PG and Solo in PowerPlay as 5C activity or to avoid consensual PvP, then it is considered bad sport. Hence Frontier made this call to make PowerPlay open only.

    Originally Posted by Dbrn47 View Post (Source)
    No going back where? It's just an idea, they can ultimately decide to not do it. Even if it does go forward, there are ramifications that they need to deal with in the process, if they just flip the switch on it, it's not going to be as good as people think.
    It's not an idea.. It's a proposal and the majority supports it. So expect it to be a feature in the game within this year.

  2. #302
    Originally Posted by AzraelDirge View Post (Source)
    This game would be dead and forgotten aside from a miniscule player base if it was single player only.
    This I disagree on. If they could make a great storyline, leave it open world and allow you to continue afterward like we are now then I see it not having any issues. Again a lot of us are explorers so we usually don't see a lot of other CMDRS anyways. However, that is why I said it should be singleplayer with co-op. As for being dead and forgotten, I'm sorry but hasn't the gaming community already explained it's desire for strong single player stories over crappy MP games. After all, games like the Witcher, Prey, Bioshock, TitanFall, Fallout, Skyrim, those all exists as single player and did and doing well. Really it just means that FDEV can't tell story if their single player game isn't a success. , look what might come of Star Citizens Squadron 42, that is a single player experience that could be awesome. So no, I don't think single player only would have killed this game. If it was done right it could have made this game amazing. In fact, isn't it telling that arguments over this game come from features like this instead of content in game and the storyline. In fact there really isn't much in this game to get excited about except modes and mp features.

  3. #303
    Originally Posted by CMDR MadRaptor View Post (Source)
    Agreed. I can't even remember where this poll took place, think it was reddit...anyways. I agree 100% on the fact that we don't even need to be discussing this right now as there are more pressing matters. And honestly, I've said this over and over now, I just don't like that precedence this sets. Yes this might be the only change but if we are okay with this then what might the deem necessary in the future, might they just cut all the modes except open?

    Ultimately that is my main concern because I don't PVP, I don't PP, I explore and find geological and organic stuff so my time is spent outside the bubble anyways.
    They need to start focusing on adding content to the game not shuffling modes and feature the messed up on in the first place. Make the game interseting for everybody involved, give us more things to find on surfaces, hell give us more worlds to land on.

    I honestly don't think we need squadrons, or anything else before we need an injection of stories and places to see and visit, things to uncover and better tools to analyze and uncover these things.

    Hell us geology geeks are stuck doing full planetary surveys trying to find geological sites because FDEV thought it'd be interesting to add these to giant worlds but not give us any, any way to narrow down a search zone.......man oh man!
    See my thread I made here https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showth...tion-Mechanics!! which I point out what we should be getting and asking why we're getting mud thrown at us.

    Originally Posted by babelfisch View Post (Source)
    You just quoted me saying that improvements to power play might bring a few people back, literally seconds ago...
    oh don't go down that hole!

  4. #304
    Dear Solo Players Who are Wary of PvP Engagements,

    As a Solo Mode Only peep I understand your pain. However, do not underestimate your survival abilities and most importantly Do Not Overestimate PvP Pilot Abilities. Testosterone often addles and can be not conducive to on the spot rational thinking.

    1. If you engineer one of the big three properly, you can make it very very difficult for maxxed engineered hostiles to take you down. Engineering has incredible defense abilities. This will at least give you a moment to NOT PANIC and assess the very unsavory situation. THE SHIP MUST BE GRADE 5 MAX ENGINEERED FOR SHIELD GENERATOR, HULL, SHIELD BOOSTERS AND HULL REINFORCEMENTS THROUGH THE ROOF. The engineering grind will be very unpleasant but if done properly you will die rarely. Your cargo capacity will be almost nil, but your survival rate will increase to insane levels. You must always run from an encounter, the longer they can engage you the more likely they can snipe out your power plant or fsd. Once again, engineering is required.

    2. Especially if confronted by a wing, in addition to high waking, you might try a faster boot sequence FSD. I have one that has a boot sequence of 2 seconds. Then you won't have to leave the system. You will sacrifice range and use a lot of power, but it is amusing.

    Knowledge can surmount anything. You are never too old to out weasel your detractors. Yes, this is only a game, but any success you have in overcoming any hesitations, fear, or underestimation is guaranteed to give you more confidence in yourself. Isn't that a good thing?

    o7

    slange

  5. #305
    Originally Posted by StarfireIX View Post (Source)
    They made the right choice, and if you're complaining about it and you don't do PowerPlay with no valid reason.. then you have no influence in this discussion.



    You cannot stop player interaction. Developers can only restrict gameplay and place boundaries so that players behave. If you read up on Bartle's types of players you will find there are 4 of them.


    Bartle's Player Types, http://www.gamasutra.com/view/featur..._styles_a_.php


    Since some players use PG and Solo in PowerPlay as 5C activity or to avoid consensual PvP, then it is considered bad sport. Hence Frontier made this call to make PowerPlay open only.



    It's not an idea.. It's a proposal and the majority supports it. So expect it to be a feature in the game within this year.


    Please stop with the reification fallacy (the map is not the territory) re: Bartle's taxonomy.


    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reification_(fallacy)

  6. #306
    Originally Posted by PeLucheuh View Post (Source)
    You have to acknowledge that solo is just a limit to the game, last example being "wing mission" : because it has to be available for solo player who ironically can't wing up, challenge and difficulty are ridiculous.
    It didn't have to be, but it has become one. Games are always better when focused mostly on one mode of play. If it was going to be heavily multiplayer it should have been that way in the first place. Instead it has taken years of dinking around, measuring interest, and putting forth mediocre features in an attempt to please all parties with minimal investment. I think it could have been a great single player game or small group co-op had they focused on it, but they chose to just dip their toes and have them bitten off by a community of bi-polar content devouring sharks.

  7. #307
    Originally Posted by StarfireIX View Post (Source)
    They made the right choice, and if you're complaining about it and you don't do PowerPlay with no valid reason.. then you have no influence in this discussion.



    You cannot stop player interaction. Developers can only restrict gameplay and place boundaries so that players behave. If you read up on Bartle's types of players you will find there are 4 of them.


    Bartle's Player Types, http://www.gamasutra.com/view/featur..._styles_a_.php


    Since some players use PG and Solo in PowerPlay as 5C activity or to avoid consensual PvP, then it is considered bad sport. Hence Frontier made this call to make PowerPlay open only.



    It's not an idea.. It's a proposal and the majority supports it. So expect it to be a feature in the game within this year.

    Now you are just lumping everybody who wants to do this solo/pg into one group. I tried it in solo/pg because the times I was in OPEN in some of these ares there was no consensual PVP, just a rebuy screen. A lot of people are in these other groups or solo to cheat they are there because FDEV messed up the OPEN mode and allowed it to become what it is today. Not just a place for griefers but a place where you can't meet up with people on planets and when you do it might not have the same things that the other CMDRS see, or that because of time zones and what not you might not see anybody anways. Open is a mess and restricting things to this mode without cleaning up that mess is a bad move. And again, talking about features right now is not good, we don't care about features, we want more story, more content.

  8. #308
    Originally Posted by StarfireIX View Post (Source)
    You cannot stop player interaction. Developers can only restrict gameplay and place boundaries so that players behave. If you read up on Bartle's types of players you will find there are 4 of them.
    Interesting at the base level, however does not account for cognitive dissociation or real world personality types (I'll revise the bumph later). As a result I would (literally) imagine Bartle is best applied to closed systems, which offer some interaction through gates?

    ED is not that, so I wonder about the efficacy of the diagram.

  9. #309
    Originally Posted by StarfireIX View Post (Source)


    It's not an idea.. It's a proposal and the majority supports it. So expect it to be a feature in the game within this year.

    Well, I'm glad you've finally come along to speak with such authority, saves me some time.

  10. #310
    Originally Posted by StarfireIX View Post (Source)
    When I meant that 1,000 players actively do PowerPlay, that I mean you'll have to multiply that if you are bringing numbers like 3-400k. So in fairness PowerPlay makes up about 35% of Elite: Dangerous.
    LOL what!??

    Mate do an equation on how on earth you got thos figures please? You said the PP community is 5k. That's just over 1% of the active players. Now you seem to get the figure that it's 35 times more?

    So 35x5000 is 175000 players, according to you, do powerplay. Not buying that for a dollar!

  11. #311
    Originally Posted by Bob Lighthouse View Post (Source)
    Please stop with the reification fallacy (the map is not the territory) re: Bartle's taxonomy.


    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reification_(fallacy)
    The types of players illustration by Bartle is used a lot by companies, so I don't see your point. My university also uses his stuff widely in lectures in my course for games development. If you're trying to say that Bartle's player types is not concrete enough? Then you don't know what you're talking about.

  12. #312
    Originally Posted by CMDR MadRaptor View Post (Source)
    This I disagree on. If they could make a great storyline, leave it open world and allow you to continue afterward like we are now then I see it not having any issues. Again a lot of us are explorers so we usually don't see a lot of other CMDRS anyways. However, that is why I said it should be singleplayer with co-op. As for being dead and forgotten, I'm sorry but hasn't the gaming community already explained it's desire for strong single player stories over crappy MP games. After all, games like the Witcher, Prey, Bioshock, TitanFall, Fallout, Skyrim, those all exists as single player and did and doing well. Really it just means that FDEV can't tell story if their single player game isn't a success. , look what might come of Star Citizens Squadron 42, that is a single player experience that could be awesome. So no, I don't think single player only would have killed this game. If it was done right it could have made this game amazing. In fact, isn't it telling that arguments over this game come from features like this instead of content in game and the storyline. In fact there really isn't much in this game to get excited about except modes and mp features.
    I'm talking specifically about the game, as is, with the story and characters currently in it. Everything you named endures on the strength of their story or characters, Elite does not have those. Simple truth of it is that a game must have some type of boundaries in order to tell a story effectively. Elite is too big to tell a tight, contained story with compelling characters. Any story they put in it would end up feeling small beside the sheer scale of the rest of the game.

  13. #313
    Originally Posted by Genus View Post (Source)
    Interesting at the base level, however does not account for cognitive dissociation or real world personality types (I'll revise the bumph later). As a result I would Bartle is best applied to closed systems, which offer some interaction through gates?

    ED is not that, so I wonder about the efficacy of the diagram.


    To be fair, I blame Bartle for the misnomer "Player types".

  14. #314
    Originally Posted by Jex =TE= View Post (Source)
    LOL what!??

    Mate do an equation on how on earth you got thos figures please? You said the PP community is 5k. That's just over 1% of the active players. Now you seem to get the figure that it's 35 times more?

    So 35x5000 is 175000 players, according to you, do powerplay. Not buying that for a dollar!
    Pretty sure the community is a lot larger than that. 1% is a bit tad wrong there. Try again.

  15. #315
    Originally Posted by AzraelDirge View Post (Source)
    I'm talking specifically about the game, as is, with the story and characters currently in it. Everything you named endures on the strength of their story or characters, Elite does not have those. Simple truth of it is that a game must have some type of boundaries in order to tell a story effectively. Elite is too big to tell a tight, contained story with compelling characters. Any story they put in it would end up feeling small beside the sheer scale of the rest of the game.

    Yeah, if we are talking about the game as is, then yes I agree. But I'm talking more of how it should have started in the first place.