Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Will Carriers and Squadrons be available in Group, or limited to Open only?

Will Carriers and Squadrons be available in Group, or limited to Open only?

In light of the flash announcement over PP, do we know of an official line on this at present?

You'd have to assume given the current direction of the game (which appears to be a move towards ditching solo/private modes - whether because Frontier genuinely dislikes those players, or simply the more prosaic desire to trim player numbers and reduce server overheads) that future development and release will be either Open only or focused on open/PvP/Combat orientated play...

Originally Posted by jasonbirder View Post (Source)
    You'd have to assume given the current direction of the game (which appears to be a move towards ditching solo/private modes - whether because Frontier genuinely dislikes those players, or simply the more prosaic desire to trim player numbers and reduce server overheads) that future development and release will be either Open only or focused on open/PvP/Combat orientated play...
    Maybe let the developer actually provide more context before assuming they have some desire to destroy everyone in solo, and solo itself, because how very dare they? Just a thought.

Assume open only till further notice to avoid dissapointment.

Originally Posted by Genus View Post (Source)
    In light of the flash announcement over PP, do we know of an official line on this at present?
    Insufficient detail to know. Given neither have been defined yet, in a way that would either include or preclude, really anything at all, it's a bit early to have much of a conversation around that.

Best place to look would be in here.

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/forumd...cused-Feedback

That way you can find the answer and cut out the crap.

Maybe let the developer actually provide more context
    Context like the development team stating they'd like to see players OUT of Solo/Co-op Multiplayer and into Open???
    I'm not sure that Provides any different insight...

As carriers are not just about PowerPlay I see no reason why squadrons can't be a part of private groups, solo or open. Why would there be a need to limit them in any shape or form.

All modes one will have access to the fleet carrier.

That includes Solo, and PGs

All modes one will have access to the fleet carrier.
    Well, apart from the statement that Fleet Carriers WOULDN'T be available to single players....

Well, apart from the statement that Fleet Carriers WOULDN'T be available to single players....
    Fleet carriers are for Squadrons. They would make no sense for a single player to have sole ownership of them. But you would still be able to dock with them if you are a member of the squadron and in solo mode. Nobody is stopping anyone from joining a squadron apart from yourself. That's just the way you choose to play the game.

There is no official line, but considering it's not PVP centric content and the confirmation from Sandro that they are only considering PP for open only, I'm pretty sure squadrons and carriers will be available in all modes.

In the same way capital class aren't to any player; the developer doesn't current think this is a good thing for any player to 'own'. This does not, however, preclude access to them as part of a structure, such as Squadrons. Ownership != availability. As has been noted above.

More info will be forthcoming as the update gets closer.

As negative as I am about the recent PP bombshell.

The overwhelming cstatus on Carriers is that they will be available where a 'certain number' of players / crew resides.

Obviously this rules out solo, but there's no evidence to suggest this is open only. Group mode could accommodate carriers.

BUT I have to caveat with some evidence that Carriers have been slated as being persistent entities in space. This raises questions about if carriers can be attacked, and how viable it is to have persistent player owned assets based in Private mode, showing up in OPEN, and players in open not being able to attack. Sort of feels like OPEN will be full of ghost ships floating around with seemingly no crew.. but in reality they're in Private mode.

Doesn't compute.

One could argue based on this, that there could be a calling that therefore Carriers will NOT be persistent, or, persistence would only work if the assets are indeed confined to OPEN mode.

My money is still on open and group for carriers. But I wouldn't be confident enough to bet more than a fiver.

Originally Posted by Vorxian View Post (Source)
    As negative as I am about the recent PP bombshell.

The overwhelming cstatus on Carriers is that they will be available where a 'certain number' of players / crew resides.
    Nope, that is not what was said. It was said that there would be specific amount of people needed in a squadron to get a fleet carrier. Mode has nothing to do with that.

Obviously this rules out solo, but there's no evidence to suggest this is open only. Group mode could accommodate carriers.
    No it does not rule out solo or private groups.

BUT I have to caveat with some evidence that Carriers have been slated as being persistent entities in space. This raises questions about if carriers can be attacked, and how viable it is to have persistent player owned assets based in Private mode, showing up in OPEN, and players in open not being able to attack. Sort of feels like OPEN will be full of ghost ships floating around with seemingly no crew.. but in reality they're in Private mode.
    I doubt that Carrier will be able to be damaged in any meaningful way just like any other megaship or station. I also expect them to have defences like stations do.

Doesn't compute.
    One could argue based on this, that there could be a calling that therefore Carriers will NOT be persistent, or, persistence would only work if the assets are indeed confined to OPEN mode.
    My money is still on open and group for carriers. But I wouldn't be confident enough to bet more than a fiver.
    What doesn't compute is your complete misunderstanding of how squadrons will work when it is all written out in the Focus Forums.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast