Page 1 of 7 1236 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 91

Thread: Equipped Power Play modules should be Open Only

  1. #1

    Equipped Power Play modules should be Open Only

    All players are created equal and each should be treated fairly by FDev. And so, I offer my proposal and justification below.

    It is completely logical that Power Play should be an Open Only activity. It never should have been accessible to other modes, as its focus is entirely PvP.

    It follows that any modules gained through Power Play should also only be available in Open, as those modules were intended to be used for Power Play activities (otherwise, why would they only be available to PP players?).

    So, I propose that ships with Power Play modules equipped cannot be used in any mode other than Open. To play in another mode, the player would have to unequip PP modules before they could play in PG/Solo.

  2. #2
    I'm trying to decide whether this is creeping incrementalism or incremental creepism.

  3. #3
    Negatory. PP modules should be available from a broker that represents a PP faction, as part of the suggested missions system. This provides options to ensure players are not stranded. I am certainly for the proposed changes, meaning that all PP actions may only occur in open; but stranding people is 100% not on, and the developer, I would like to believe, will simply not do that.

    Given this is solo, we're talking of, the modules themselves can only be used against AI; they can't be used as part of power-play. Not sure this is an overly huge issue to resolve.

  4. #4
    The last thing I want to see in solo is some other commander using a mining lance, that's for sure.

  5. #5
    Originally Posted by ChuckMG View Post (Source)
    All players are created equal and each should be treated fairly by FDev. And so, I offer my proposal and justification below.

    It is completely logical that Power Play should be an Open Only activity. It never should have been accessible to other modes, as its focus is entirely PvP.

    It follows that any modules gained through Power Play should also only be available in Open, as those modules were intended to be used for Power Play activities (otherwise, why would they only be available to PP players?).

    So, I propose that ships with Power Play modules equipped cannot be used in any mode other than Open. To play in another mode, the player would have to unequip PP modules before they could play in PG/Solo.
    Lol...
    1. All players are created fairly and equal, so PP should be available to all modes.
    2. There is really nothing logical about PP going Open-only as there is no unique PvP gameplay element associated with PP.
    So the rest of your argument is pretty much invalidated.

  6. #6
    Is this the thread version of a stomping foot and angrily folded arms?

  7. #7
    Originally Posted by Falcon_D View Post (Source)
    Lol...
    1. All players are created fairly and equal, so PP should be available to all modes.
    If this were true, there would be a single mode. Because every player is equal. Players aren't all equal, so the entire thing is a daft argument. Module availability is something the developer will have to address, and I am sure they will communicate that.

  8. #8
    I think that they should make those PP modules available via non-PP methods. That will solve the issue.

  9. #9
    Originally Posted by Agony_Aunt View Post (Source)
    I think that they should make those PP modules available via non-PP methods. That will solve the issue.
    Well, sure. That would be fine, too.

  10. #10
    Originally Posted by Deggial View Post (Source)
    Is this the thread version of a stomping foot and angrily folded arms?
    Not at all, I am simply applying logic and fairness to appease both groups of players. PvPers want Open only play, PG/Solo players don't want to (always) play in Open. There should be a clear demarcation between the modes and rewards thereof. Why should PG/Solo players have access to modules intended for Open play?

    Small minds feel some people are more equal than others, and to them I say *blows a raspberry*.

  11. #11
    Originally Posted by kofeyh View Post (Source)
    Negatory. PP modules should be available from a broker that represents a PP faction, as part of the suggested missions system. This provides options to ensure players are not stranded. I am certainly for the proposed changes, meaning that all PP actions may only occur in open; but stranding people is 100% not on, and the developer, I would like to believe, will simply not do that.

    Given this is solo, we're talking of, the modules themselves can only be used against AI; they can't be used as part of power-play. Not sure this is an overly huge issue to resolve.
    No one would be stranded. You simply couldn't play in PG/Solo until you swapped out your PP modules.

    It also affects PG, where people may engage in consensual PvP. Those who benefit from PP modules will have the upper hand, which is not at all fair to dedicated PG players.

    Either the modules should be available to everyone regardless of the mode they choose to play (and this applies to acquiring the modules) or they should only be available in Open. Like the wise Solomon, I'm more than willing to cut this baby in half. It's an entirely equitable solution.

  12. #12

  13. #13
    I'm assuming that means the four weeks time to unlock the modules would have to be spent entirely in open as well? Following your sound logic, that is.

    Profits made in one mode should also be kept in a mode specific account too, right? After all, how is it fair to anyone if someone paid for the ship they are putting those modules on with credits earned in a different mode?

    Egads! What if someone collected the materials to engineer one of those modules in a different mode, never offering a target to a PP opponent diligently trying to prevent their nemesis from upgrading their ship to increase their PP potential?

  14. #14
    Originally Posted by ChuckMG View Post (Source)
    No one would be stranded.
    Yeah they would

    You simply couldn't play in PG/Solo until you swapped out your PP modules.
    In other words; stranding.

    It also affects PG, where people may engage in consensual PvP. Those who benefit from PP modules will have the upper hand, which is not at all fair to dedicated PG players.
    No, because if the modules are available across all modes, but PP itself is kept in open, I'm not sure there's an issue to solve. The problem is power-play itself, not the modules.

    Modules could be made available via brokers with a requisite wait period, which decouples the automatic requirement for dragging people into open, purely to get modules they can't use elsewhere (which makes them redundant, and that's probably not constructive). That and also solves module tourism at the same time. Yes, keep them as PP rewards as well, so neither set of players end up with a pineapple.

    Rather than cut and slash, developer can improve the entire thing to be more consistent; which is actually the point of Sandy's changes. The mechanics have a hell of a lot better chance of survival in that scenario, frankly.

  15. #15
    Originally Posted by Falcon_D View Post (Source)
    Lol...
    1. All players are created fairly and equal, so PP should be available to all modes.
    2. There is really nothing logical about PP going Open-only as there is no unique PvP gameplay element associated with PP.
    So the rest of your argument is pretty much invalidated.
    1. Yes, but if PP is restricted to Open play, then the rewards of PP should only be available in Open, or they are disruptive to PG players.
    2. Incorrect, PP is all about pushing a faction into others' territory and controlling systems. This is quintessentially a PvP game mechanic.
    3. Also, I am not saying that PP should be Open only (though there is a strong argument for that). I am merely arguing that we should attempt to make the demarcation between PP/Open and PG/Solo a very clear line.

Page 1 of 7 1236 ... LastLast