Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 91

Thread: Equipped Power Play modules should be Open Only

  1. #31
    fair point but this:

    Originally Posted by ChuckMG View Post (Source)
    It follows that any modules gained through Power Play should also only be available in Open, as those modules were intended to be used for Power Play activities (otherwise, why would they only be available to PP players?).
    i'm not sure about. pp modules are not inherently pvp-y, nor powerplay-y. they were just byargw (behind yet another random grindwall).

    one solution is remove them as pp rewards. i would make them available to all, although sandro no doubt would prefer you mat grind your eyes dry for them ...

    ok, i'll get my helmet now ...

  2. #32
    Originally Posted by ChuckMG View Post (Source)
    All players are created equal and each should be treated fairly by FDev. And so, I offer my proposal and justification below.

    It is completely logical that Power Play should be an Open Only activity. It never should have been accessible to other modes, as its focus is entirely PvP.

    It follows that any modules gained through Power Play should also only be available in Open, as those modules were intended to be used for Power Play activities (otherwise, why would they only be available to PP players?).

    So, I propose that ships with Power Play modules equipped cannot be used in any mode other than Open. To play in another mode, the player would have to unequip PP modules before they could play in PG/Solo.
    Uhm. With the same reasoning, PvE-earned modules should not be usable in PvP. Restricting PowerPlay activities to Open is fair enough, but if they start restricting the use of PowerPlay modules to Open only, that's going to drive a solid wedge into the playerbase, and a fair amount of them will no doubt leave. What would be the justification for this? Where is the logic? I see only downsides and bad reputation coming as a result.

  3. #33
    I expect a lot of refund demands if FDev decides to restrict/take away modules people already spent their hard time grinding for.

    I myself most probably would (unless they also introduce something groundbreaking to really make it worth playing, but I doubt it).

    Hence I see slim chance of it happening. But FDev design decisions all over the place nowadays, so who knows.

    Making PP open-only already borderline - since no doubt many people bought Horizons with solo PP in mind, so by taking it away they no longer have the product they purchased.

  4. #34
    Originally Posted by ChuckMG View Post (Source)
    All players are created equal and each should be treated fairly by FDev. And so, I offer my proposal and justification below.

    It is completely logical that Power Play should be an Open Only activity. It never should have been accessible to other modes, as its focus is entirely PvP.

    It follows that any modules gained through Power Play should also only be available in Open, as those modules were intended to be used for Power Play activities (otherwise, why would they only be available to PP players?).

    So, I propose that ships with Power Play modules equipped cannot be used in any mode other than Open. To play in another mode, the player would have to unequip PP modules before they could play in PG/Solo.
    Or make Powerplay modules available at tech brokers in the Powers territory as well as powerplay.

  5. #35
    To balance the OPs suggestion, all engineered modules (all), should be Solo/PG only. If you switch to Open, all engineering should be stripped off.
    This would actually make for balanced PvP combat, no? (As Ive seen a number of PvP players ask for this.)

  6. #36
    Makes sense.

    Also you should only be allowed to use the powers equipment while you are pledged.

  7. #37
    Here's a novel concept:
    How about folks stop telling others how to play?
    'no engineering in open' NO
    I have engineered ships for a variety of uses. What mode I use them in is my own business.
    Where does this madness end? Guardian modules only in solo? Ridiculous notion.
    How about we say combat ships only in solo? That's as daft as some of the suggestions being bandied around and just as pointless.

  8. #38
    I don't know about the modules only working in Open, but I could see power modules only working while you're pledged to that specific Power, and then being disabled if you leave. That would make more sense to me.

  9. #39
    Originally Posted by lefty1117 View Post (Source)
    I don't know about the modules only working in Open, but I could see power modules only working while you're pledged to that specific Power, and then being disabled if you leave. That would make more sense to me.
    Not really. How do the modules detect whether or not you're pledged to a power or not? A game can only take so much handwavium before things come apart at the seams.

  10. #40
    Originally Posted by Mephane View Post (Source)
    Not sure if genuine suggestion or argumentum ad absurdum.
    Neither, he's just trying to get a rise out of players who are opposed to open-only PP by stirring the pot. As if the pot actually needed stirring at this point in time. Obvious troll is obvious.

  11. #41
    Originally Posted by ChuckMG View Post (Source)
    All players are created equal and each should be treated fairly by FDev. And so, I offer my proposal and justification below.

    It is completely logical that Power Play should be an Open Only activity. It never should have been accessible to other modes, as its focus is entirely PvP.

    It follows that any modules gained through Power Play should also only be available in Open, as those modules were intended to be used for Power Play activities (otherwise, why would they only be available to PP players?).

    So, I propose that ships with Power Play modules equipped cannot be used in any mode other than Open. To play in another mode, the player would have to unequip PP modules before they could play in PG/Solo.
    What does that really achieve though?

    It'll be really annoying to have to swap out modules or FD would have to build some kind of solo / open option switch into outfitting.

    The modules are available to people who put in the time and effort to help their factions, they are not a reward for playing in open (although soon will only be earned in open of course) and they aren't things which shouldn't be used in solo.

  12. #42
    Originally Posted by Kzak View Post (Source)
    Not really. How do the modules detect whether or not you're pledged to a power or not? A game can only take so much handwavium before things come apart at the seams.
    ???

    If player = unpledged, disable module. Seems pretty straightforward logic to me

  13. #43
    Originally Posted by lefty1117 View Post (Source)
    ???

    If player = unpledged, disable module. Seems pretty straightforward logic to me
    Try explaining this in-game. Like, if your RL self has bought an Intel brand CPU and have used it for years, then you switch to AMD. How do you explain that your Intel brand CPU suddenly ceases working because you have switched to AMD?

  14. #44
    Originally Posted by Kzak View Post (Source)
    Try explaining this in-game. Like, if your RL self has bought an Intel brand CPU and have used it for years, then you switch to AMD. How do you explain that your Intel brand CPU suddenly ceases working because you have switched to AMD?
    PP modules have DRM with always-online requirement

  15. #45
    Originally Posted by RidingTheFlow View Post (Source)
    PP modules have DRM with always-online requirement
    That's what hackers are for.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast