Page 35 of 35 FirstFirst ... 30333435

Thread: Powerplay should not be made Open-only. Here's why... [EDITED]

Originally Posted by 6opoDuJIo View Post (Source)
    Not many people rants about 3.0 engineering and material storage, right? It was just too good and nearly nobody post "refund demand" just because engineering have changed.
    Indeed.

Originally Posted by 6opoDuJIo View Post (Source)
    So, this is similar case.
    Not quite - because the changes to Engineering didn't potentially place three year old game content behind a PvP-gate.

Originally Posted by Robert Maynard View Post (Source)
    Not quite - because the changes to Engineering didn't potentially place three year old game content behind a PvP-gate.
    That's why I wrote "similar" and hot "the same". Yes, it'll might bring more pvp, but it'll might bring (actually, i'm pretty confident that it will) more player cooperation and interaction - information exchange, which routes are safe for hauling, convoying with "warmongers" protecting their spacetruckers (which still will have plenty of space of making merits/undermining/fortification), sudden raids and so on. Everything of this existed for ages in Eve online and i'm excited even to possibility of witnessing of similar activities in Elite.

Originally Posted by Robert Maynard View Post (Source)
    Indeed.

Open only isnt a "pvp gate". All the pve activities would remain.

Originally Posted by Cheese Helmet View Post (Source)
    Open only isnt a "pvp gate". All the pve activities would remain.
    And that's the standard of debate you're getting, Sandro.

Hope it's useful fella.

Originally Posted by Goose4291 View Post (Source)
    If you powerplay, you PvP.

Sandro has spoken.
    "If you choose to participate in Powerplay, it will add a whole new dimension to Elite: Dangerous," Lead Designer Sandro Sammarco says. "These powers have their own ethos and methods. How they take control of systems varies depending on whether they favour warlike or more pacifist methods. Some will conquer systems with economics, others by just sending in the troops. Either way, you can be part of that.

Combat-focused players may choose to side with warlike Powers for combat missions and perks, while trade-focused players may prefer to side with a Power looking to expand their trade monopoly.

"You could choose a Power for any number of reasons," Sammarco continues. "Maybe you'll pick one who dominates a regular trade route you like or one that offers the kinds of missions you like to fly. Maybe you'll pick one whose politics you favour or maybe you'll just side with one who's about to go to war with your best friend's faction!""

Sandro has spoken.

Why are these people, trying to kill Christmas?

Is it because, they have all been naughty and expect nothing?

Originally Posted by Ziljan View Post (Source)
    You're right that blockades in Open will never be an air tight filter with p2p. But a blockade doesn't need to be air tight to have a significant effect does it?

And if in the end all we get is the "illusion" of a blockade, remember that we are also in an illusion of a spaceship, and isn't that just another name for "fun"? I don't need to utterly incapacitate the opposition in order to have "fun" do I? I just need to feel like my actions matter. And very likely, they would.

How do you get a 'significant' blockade in this game? It won't happen. When the illusion is weak, the outrage will be strong...just watch, the calls for Open only everything will only get stronger. This is a worthless choice...but, I'll just sit back and watch the salt....

Originally Posted by Roybe View Post (Source)
    How do you get a 'significant' blockade in this game? It won't happen. When the illusion is weak, the outrage will be strong...just watch, the calls for Open only everything will only get stronger. This is a worthless choice...but, I'll just sit back and watch the salt....
    Indeed. As soon as it doesn't have the intended results (bringing more fish to the Open barrel), they'll be right back to the forum whinging about Solo/PG's and PvE players.

Sure, Sandro- give them PP. It really doesn't affect "diddly" for most Solo/PG's and PvE focused players. Sure, it strips out a bit of the "lore/story" in the game and the reasons for why things are going on around the player, but it really has no effect on a player that doesn't at all engage in PP. Problem here is that it's not going to suddenly quiet the masses as you might think it will... their focus is and has always been on the destruction of the mode system so they can get their EVE-in-cockpits at long last. And now that they think you're suddenly "listening" to them- they feel ever more emboldened to call for removal of Solo/PG's on top of a mere PP Open proposal. And it doesn't matter that you've explicitly stated that you're not going to change anything else at present time- because they think it's coming eventually.

Don't do it...you will be sorely disappointed.
    Apparently No Mans Sky is adding in full on multiplayer in it's next update.

Really though my ideal mode would be an offline mode with the ability to invite a few friends into MY game via a private server that I could mod to my liking!

Now that would the a real /thread.

Originally Posted by Space Dandy View Post (Source)
    Apparently No Mans Sky is adding in full on multiplayer in it's next update.

Really though my ideal mode would be an offline mode with the ability to invite a few friends into MY game via a private server that I could mod to my liking!

Now that would the a real /thread.
    You might want to pick up Freelancer 2 on ebay then, as thats pretty much exactly what that is

Have you ever tried to blockade something?

Originally Posted by sovapid View Post (Source)
    yep! It doesn't work.

Originally Posted by Ziljan View Post (Source)
    You're right that blockades in Open will never be an air tight filter with p2p. But a blockade doesn't need to be air tight to have a significant effect does it?

And if in the end all we get is the "illusion" of a blockade, remember that we are also in an illusion of a spaceship, and isn't that just another name for "fun"? I don't need to utterly incapacitate the opposition in order to have "fun" do I? I just need to feel like my actions matter. And very likely, they would.
    Here's a recent example of the problems facing Open PP:

Originally Posted by Han Zulu View Post (Source)
    I've been part of an expedition (DECE: Dead End's Circumnavigation Expedition) since fall last year. We're going around the whole galaxy and will be done in 6 months.

One issue we have is that every couple of weeks we try to do a meetup and a mass jump together, in the same instance. The way we go about doing it is that we wing up with each other and essentially force the instancing server (or whatever it's called) to put us all into the same visual group. Now, the problem we're having is that we rarely can maintain more than 10-15 people in an instance before our computers/games start to crash and freeze. (link: https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showth...=1#post6719566)

This issue shows that instancing isn't ready for a sensible PvP MMO game as Open-PP is supposed to be. The problem I have isn't so much that there's a technical limit around 10-15 players, but rather that the whole game executable goes nuts. Either the screen completely freezes, sometimes pixelates in the process, or the game just drops out of existence and the bug-report screen pops up. I haven't experienced any whole computer crash just yet, but hear that some have had that issue as well with blue screen.

Now, if FDev could at least somehow add a "try-catch" code in there to gracefully exit any crashes of this kind, perhaps take the player to the menu in worst case instead of a complete freeze/crash. In best case maybe just drop out of the instance and the other players disappear from your view (as they do when they log out). In some cases people are still there after their crash, visible to the other players, but won't disappear until a bit later.

I don't think Open-PP play will be any more satisfying for the hard core PP players if the enemy can fly around in separate instances or that your game crashes mid-combat only because of some wings entering the arena.

Something has to be done to improve the quality of these before it's even worth thinking of forcing PvP on a PP Open only idea.

(On a side note, I'm a supporter of putting PP in Open, just sayin', but some things needs to get done first.)
    I'm not suggesting air-tight....I'm suggesting that the devs can't even close down enough to change the outcomes....all they CAN do is raise the level of PVP. This rise in PVP, however, won't stop any of the issues everyone is wanting repaired. The game doesn't work that way.

Originally Posted by sovapid View Post (Source)
    Only absurd ideas on the forums.

Turns out I'm rubbish at it.

Page 35 of 35 FirstFirst ... 30333435