Page 6 of 22 FirstFirst ... 4567811 ... LastLast

Thread: The reason some of you are terrified of a slippery slope...

Originally Posted by Stigbob View Post (Source)
    I never run cargo so none of that applies to me, I just dabble with PP for modules.

IIRC the max PP cargo you can get at once is only 50 anyway, which doesn't really require a trade ship in fact you can bang it all into a single slot from any of the big three without downgrading defense and offence other than one internal.
    At rank 5 you can get 50 every half hour no charge, at any time at any rank you can pay 10,000/ton to bypass the time restriction.

So someone with 700 ton hold committed to fortifying will pay 6.5 million (max rank) to fill their hold.

I grab 50 when I'm winding down at night then another 50 before I log off. Another 100 over 31 minutes in the morning, then another 50-100 for free before leaving the station when I start playing after work. I don't do this all the time, but best case it costs me 4 million a run.

50 mil salary can almost entirely cover it though, and add merits from combat and you can make a modest profit.

Originally Posted by Sterling MH View Post (Source)
    Yes you can. What you cannot do is hit them in the face. What you can do is be somewhere else so your enemy cannot harm you. You would suck at martial arts, only wanting it because you want to punch someone's face through their skull.
    Two people punching away at two different punching bags and comparing number of hits in the end is NOT martial arts.

Punching someone's face through their skull is. (Yes, ideally without your own face being punched through your face)

I think open PP's a good idea, I just also think people will adapt to it either through learning evasion or ship choice/outfitting. It will only lead to pitched battles between willing participants.
    I thought that was why so many people are acting like this is the second coming of Christ, and I dont mean with Mary Magdalene.

Im stocking up on popcorn for all the CL and FD sort your network/P2P threads if PP does indeed go open only. Might as well get it in if it doesn't as this place is going to a, and you know the word, show if it doesn't.

Oh on topic as you know might as well;

The only slippery slope Im scared off is the one down to the buss stop between the months of November and May. Most of that time its either covered with snow or ice and since the snow has just thawed, its now covered with lose grit. With luck as per last year that should be gone by June.

Originally Posted by Vedmo View Post (Source)
    At rank 5 you can get 50 every half hour no charge, at any time at any rank you can pay 10,000/ton to bypass the time restriction.

So someone with 700 ton hold committed to fortifying will pay 6.5 million (max rank) to fill their hold.

I grab 50 when I'm winding down at night then another 50 before I log off. Another 100 over 31 minutes in the morning, then another 50-100 for free before leaving the station when I start playing after work. I don't do this all the time, but best case it costs me 4 million a run.

50 mil salary can almost entirely cover it though, and add merits from combat and you can make a modest profit.
    Or a hour of pirate lord farming can cover all necessary funds for fast-forwarding PP merits in order to unlock all modules. At the current state of things of course, as those modules should GTO from PP ASAP in my opinion.

Originally Posted by lokvette View Post (Source)
    I thought that was why so many people are acting like this is the second coming of Christ, and I dont mean with Mary Magdalene.

Im stocking up on popcorn for all the CL and FD sort your network/P2P threads if PP does indeed go open only.
    The nice thing is a clogger will have to log back into open else lose the merits / cargo they cheated to save. Just wait in the instance for 5 minutes and finish 'em off or make them pull the plug again.

Originally Posted by CMDR EDGEL0RD View Post (Source)
    Or a hour of pirate lord farming can cover all necessary funds for fast-forwarding PP merits in order to unlock all modules. At the current state of things of course, as those modules should GTO from PP ASAP in my opinion.
    I'm not saying I'd do that for 750 merits for a module, rather to fortify systems to actually help the power.

When just going for a module unlock, I definitely prefer to do it your way, but the best I ever do is ~400 merits an hour.

Edit: woops misread your post. 40 kills in a PP CZ an hour is what I was referring to.

Originally Posted by Vedmo View Post (Source)

Right, suddenly I understand. I only blow things up never tried it with a cargo bay and didn't realize you could just buy them. Man that's easier than looking for the right kind of system with the right kind of target in it.

Originally Posted by QBit4D View Post (Source)
    Two people punching away at two different punching bags
    Yup. And there's a stress meter in both. And so you record who hits hardest and the one who does so wins. You see it happen IRL. It's more common when it comes to archery where you want to see who can shoot the fastest arrow in competition.

But the fact is that you STILL get to counter someone else's actions in PP because their actions are NOT "Deliver 5000 merits" but "advance my faction's standing".

Remember, you don't find out who has the hardest punch by getting them to punch each other. Frank Bruno had a bit of a glass jaw, but he was far and away the hardest hitting heavyweight ever to date.

Originally Posted by Vorxian View Post (Source)
    OP:
    I remember the first slippery slope I saw in a film:

The reason some of you are terrified of a slippery slope...
    They should have had a bigger boat.

Originally Posted by jamenator94 View Post (Source)
    The nice thing is a clogger will have to log back into open else lose the merits / cargo they cheated to save. Just wait in the instance for 5 minutes and finish 'em off or make them pull the plug again.
    I forgot logging into pg or solo would kill your pp stuff.

Originally Posted by jamenator94 View Post (Source)
    Unless they block their attacker, wait more than 5 minutes, or have some skills and knowledge of networking and Layer-4 block their attacker's IP, in which case the attacker would not even know they were right there in front of them, since packets from their IP would be discarded.

Might be time to dust off the programming books and whip up a new utility to do quick L4 IP blocks. I'll bet it gets a lot of downloads.

Originally Posted by IndigoWyrd View Post (Source)
    Unless they block their attacker, wait more than 5 minutes, or have some skills and knowledge of networking and Layer-4 block their attacker's IP, in which case the attacker would not even know they were right there in front of them, since packets from their IP would be discarded.
    Right but thats a whole lot more difficult than just logging to solo, I'm sure some will abuse it, but not anything like as many. Also blocking only reduces the chance of instancing, in a lot of cases you'll still see 'em.

Might be time to dust off the programming books and whip up a new utility to do quick L4 IP blocks. I'll bet it gets a lot of downloads.
    The more effort you put into cheating, the more effort frontier will put into banning people.

Imo, cargo should be evaporated on sudden loss of connection to transaction server (while being under PvP attack, of course).

For blocks you described, I can imagine automated ways of deciding who is to blame for P2P connection rendered impossible, by comparing routes to fail point for each party.

Right, suddenly I understand. I only blow things up never tried it with a cargo bay and didn't realize you could just buy them. Man that's easier than looking for the right kind of system with the right kind of target in it.
    You aren't fooling me comrade, that's exactly what a Yuri Grom bot would say.

Page 6 of 22 FirstFirst ... 4567811 ... LastLast