Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 31 to 40 of 40

Thread: Landing at given coordinates

  1. #31
    Originally Posted by Codger View Post (Source)
    I started a new CMDR last week, just to experience the fun of starting from nothing again. It's been a while since I did that, so I decided it was time.

    The game has changed quite a bit since my last start.

    The mission board is all over the place now, with so many different types of missions (and wing missions thrown in) -- it all must look terribly confusing to a real newcomer. But as an experienced player, I was overjoyed with all the choices. I quickly discovered a nice little anarchy system that was giving out skimmer destruction and planetary scan missions for way more credits than the typical data deliver stuffs. My first planetary scan earned me 500,000 credits. Coulda jumped right into a Cobra. But I didn't

    Instead I experimented with the new C&P, and took on those illegal missions that I would have avoided in my earlier run-throughs. This CMDR has been wanted a lot. But a little planning makes it easy enough to deal with. And the payouts are worth it. I like the new system better than the old.

    While just goofing around doing missions and raising my rep to get better payouts, I wound up a Cadet in the Federation. And the rank-up missions trolled the hell out of me, constantly showing up right at the top, but unavailable due to reputation, or ship size, or something else. I must have seen 20 of them before I got one I could take. This would drive a newcomer crazy, I'm sure. It just made me laugh, knowing that good old RNG was having a go at me.

    Anyway, I'm in a Viper MK IV now (the mini-Python ), and really enjoying it. Did a couple of assassination missions to test out my loadout (NO engineering yet, of course -- nothing is unlocked). I was Harmless. My adversary was Harmless. We circled each other a lot. Beams are awesome (I actually haven't used beam lasers much before). He died, I didn't. It was fun

    I've really been enjoying the planetary stuffs (I do skimmer missions by searching for POIs, it's just more fun than attacking the big base they always send you to). I picked up a lot of mats just derping around. Heck I even got antimony and arsenic and polonium without actually searching for them. I hoover everything I see, now, lol. Planets are much better looking now than when I last did a restart, too. More stuff to find, more interesting scenery. I even found a T-10 whose pilot had left the ship there and gone off to do...something. Anyway he wasn't there, but his ship was wanted. I blew it up for a nice payout.

    There's something about the starting part of playing ED that is very engaging -- it's the part of the game that is most like being a real freelance pilot, I think.

    Don't get me wrong, I love the later stuff too, and I'd never actually delete my main save, but it is truly fun to start a CMDR.

    And I'm still learning new stuff.

    I think I shall move to Empire space and maybe rank up to get a Clipper. I never had one, so..new experiences are good, right

    o7
    Rep for calling the Mk.IV a "mini Python" because that's exactly what she is and how I feel about that ship!
    I've just never been able to put a sticker on it.

  2. #32
    Originally Posted by Tyres O'Flaherty View Post (Source)
    OMFG to quote the vernacular. Same here! Beer is cold too AND! I have some bbq'd chicken wings left over from earlier so I'm completely fuelled up One more poke at my FSD - need more arsenic and wakes - and I'm maxxed on that component.

    @Lt. Dan - go into your right hand panel. Now, this is from a very beer-addled memory, but one of the functions is SRV refuel. You'll need certain mats - phosphorus for one. God send., I could spend hours at Dav's now and perhaps will.
    Dang .Just reread this slightly inebriated missive and realised I quoted the wrong part of the post :/ I thunk the missive came across though; I, too, am spending inappropriate amounts of time in this game

    Now, where is that arsenic?

    I also came across an automated mining field on Deciat 1. I shot one of the rigs and it left me some bauxite. One of them scanned as mining gold but I wasn't sure if blowing them up and transferring it to the ship was a good idea...

    Edit: no, got the quote correct - it's just displaying in odd way on my Kindle .Bizarre.

  3. #33
    Originally Posted by Codger View Post (Source)
    I started a new CMDR last week, just to experience the fun of starting from nothing again. It's been a while since I did that, so I decided it was time.

    The game has changed quite a bit since my last start.

    The mission board is all over the place now, with so many different types of missions (and wing missions thrown in) -- it all must look terribly confusing to a real newcomer. But as an experienced player, I was overjoyed with all the choices. I quickly discovered a nice little anarchy system that was giving out skimmer destruction and planetary scan missions for way more credits than the typical data deliver stuffs. My first planetary scan earned me 500,000 credits. Coulda jumped right into a Cobra. But I didn't

    Instead I experimented with the new C&P, and took on those illegal missions that I would have avoided in my earlier run-throughs. This CMDR has been wanted a lot. But a little planning makes it easy enough to deal with. And the payouts are worth it. I like the new system better than the old.

    While just goofing around doing missions and raising my rep to get better payouts, I wound up a Cadet in the Federation. And the rank-up missions trolled the hell out of me, constantly showing up right at the top, but unavailable due to reputation, or ship size, or something else. I must have seen 20 of them before I got one I could take. This would drive a newcomer crazy, I'm sure. It just made me laugh, knowing that good old RNG was having a go at me.

    Anyway, I'm in a Viper MK IV now (the mini-Python ), and really enjoying it. Did a couple of assassination missions to test out my loadout (NO engineering yet, of course -- nothing is unlocked). I was Harmless. My adversary was Harmless. We circled each other a lot. Beams are awesome (I actually haven't used beam lasers much before). He died, I didn't. It was fun

    I've really been enjoying the planetary stuffs (I do skimmer missions by searching for POIs, it's just more fun than attacking the big base they always send you to). I picked up a lot of mats just derping around. Heck I even got antimony and arsenic and polonium without actually searching for them. I hoover everything I see, now, lol. Planets are much better looking now than when I last did a restart, too. More stuff to find, more interesting scenery. I even found a T-10 whose pilot had left the ship there and gone off to do...something. Anyway he wasn't there, but his ship was wanted. I blew it up for a nice payout.

    There's something about the starting part of playing ED that is very engaging -- it's the part of the game that is most like being a real freelance pilot, I think.

    Don't get me wrong, I love the later stuff too, and I'd never actually delete my main save, but it is truly fun to start a CMDR.

    And I'm still learning new stuff.

    I think I shall move to Empire space and maybe rank up to get a Clipper. I never had one, so..new experiences are good, right

    o7
    Terrific post Codger ... are we gonna get a second series of videos? (maybe just a couple of special editions covering what's changed since the last series?)

  4. #34
    Originally Posted by Alec Turner View Post (Source)
    Terrific post Codger ... are we gonna get a second series of videos? (maybe just a couple of special editions covering what's changed since the last series?)
    I dunno. There’s so many bugs right now. I’m debating still.

  5. #35
    Originally Posted by sinisalo View Post (Source)
    I like to stick to 0/90/180/270

    The idea is you travel on one of these headings. If traveling on 0(360) your latitude will increase. If on 180 latitude decreases.

    Conversely, flying on 90/270 will increase/decrease your longitude only.

    Any compass point 'in the middle' of these cardinal points has the effect of changing both latitude and longitude, making precise navigation to a specific co-ordinate more difficult.

    So choose a direction, doesn't matter which, and fly until either the long or lat is correct. Then turn 90 degrees and fly until the other one matches as well. You have arrived at your destination
    best explanation I seen in a long time .. thanks +1 thanks

  6. #36
    Originally Posted by Tyres O'Flaherty View Post (Source)
    Dang .Just reread this slightly inebriated missive and realised I quoted the wrong part of the post :/ I thunk the missive came across though; I, too, am spending inappropriate amounts of time in this game

    Now, where is that arsenic?

    I also came across an automated mining field on Deciat 1. I shot one of the rigs and it left me some bauxite. One of them scanned as mining gold but I wasn't sure if blowing them up and transferring it to the ship was a good idea...

    Edit: no, got the quote correct - it's just displaying in odd way on my Kindle .Bizarre.
    I personally gather arsenic on Deciat 4 (next door to Felicity's). From my experience, just stick to the 'brown' regions and not the reddish ones. I went from having 18 to 36 units of aresenic last night in about an hour or so, so I'm good on arsenic for a few ships to get a G5 FSD upgrade

  7. #37
    Originally Posted by Codger View Post (Source)
    (I do skimmer missions by searching for POIs, it's just more fun than attacking the big base they always send you to)
    Oh wow, been playing since launch and I never knew you could do that! I assume you need to be in the rough area of the base so that the skimmers belong to the right faction. Not a fan of the base missions in general so thanks for that, and always great to hear thoughts on the game from the perspective of a "new" CMDR.

  8. #38
    My go-to planet for arsenic is Timbalderis B 1. It has arsenic, and mercury (worth 2 arsenic) and polonium (worth 9 arsenic). Shoot every rock you see.

    It’s still not “fast”, but it’s the best I’ve found.

  9. #39
    Originally Posted by MAIN SEQUENCE View Post (Source)
    Oh wow, been playing since launcher and I never knew you could do that! I assume you need to be in the rough area of the base so that the skimmers belong to the right faction. Not a fan of the base missions in general so thanks for that, and always great to hear thoughts on the game from the perspective of a "new" CMDR.
    You can find skimmers of your target faction anywhere on the planet the base is on, but your best bet is within 100km radius of said base, where basically ALL skimmers you find belong to that faction.

  10. #40
    Originally Posted by Codger View Post (Source)
    My go-to planet for arsenic is Timbalderis B 1. It has arsenic, and mercury (worth 2 arsenic) and polonium (worth 9 arsenic). Shoot every rock you see.

    Itís still not ďfastĒ, but itís the best Iíve found.
    Yes, see bolded! Many rocks, meteorites and outcrops must pay the ultimate price to get our minerals LOL

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123