Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: PC - What specs are required to play Elite at max settings?

Originally Posted by Alec Turner View Post (Source)
    I'm not seeing Tyres' sig either and I definitely don't have sig's disabled (i.e. I can see ArJay's).
    that's weird. and probably tj's fault ...

Queue the Twilight Zone theme... my sig displays fine on my PC but not on Kindle or phone...

Specs:

i7 5820K @ 4.4 ghz. GTX 980 ti sc. 16gb ddr3. Corsair obsidian 900d. 500gig m2 ssd. 1t ssd. 3t hdd. Soundblaster z. Benq 27". 1kw brick. A few other bits and bobs.

Edit: correction, desktop site version is displaying the sig on my Kindle

Um, correction to my fist post on this thread: I just made the game chug a bit by changing supersampling to x2 It's now back to x1.0 and I'm struggling to see a difference.

Originally Posted by Tyres O'Flaherty View Post (Source)
    Queue the Twilight Zone theme... my sig displays fine on my PC but not on Kindle or phone...

Specs:

i7 5820K @ 4.4 ghz. GTX 980 ti sc. 16gb ddr3. Corsair obsidian 900d. 500gig m2 ssd. 1t ssd. 3t hdd. Soundblaster z. Benq 27". 1kw brick. A few other bits and bobs.

Edit: correction, desktop site version is displaying the sig on my Kindle
    Did you make the post on your Kindle/phone? The default behaviour then is not to post signatures. You might otherwise have different settings for those devices, as those forum settings are stored client-side.

As for max settings, the first question is: what resolution do you intend to play at? What kind of framerates will make you happy?

At 720p, the game will run at 60Hz/ultra on a mid-spec gaming laptop - 7300HQ, GTX 1050, 8GB DDR4-2400
    At 1080p, the game will run at ultra on the same rig but with a 1050Ti - 1080p/60Hz/ultra, although there might be the occasional drop.

If you want higher resolurtions or higher framerates, say on a 1080p/144Hz disdplay, you're going to need a serious rig. For example, an i7-6700K (overclocked), 16GB DDR4-3000 and a GTX 1070 on a 144Hz display sometimes drops frames down to 120-ish. At those kinds of refresh rates, however, it's almost impossible to discern when it happens.

Originally Posted by znrt View Post (Source)
    you likely have sigs disabled (99% of sigs are boring, no point in seeing them on EVERY post! ).
    they can still be seen clicking the user name -> view profile.
    I meant to post a reply to this but forgot...

I try to ensure that my sig image only appears max of once per page. So when I make further posts, I go back to previous ones, edit, advanced and untick "show signature". A bit of a habit from "dial-up" days.

Originally Posted by Para Handy View Post (Source)
    I meant to post a reply to this but forgot...

I try to ensure that my sig image only appears max of once per page. So when I make further posts, I go back to previous ones, edit, advanced and untick "show signature". A bit of a habit from "dial-up" days.
    You're seriously doing that?
    You've got way too much free time, I guess.

I'll take a look at my settings for the sig thing . I'm on the Kindle now looking at tge desktop version of the site.

As for my in game settings, I'm using a BenQ GW2760HS 27" @ 2560x1440 but I'm not running any fps checker to see what my frame rate is. But it is super smooth.

....... I'm using a BenQ GW2760HS 27" @ 2560x1440 ..
    I think you are quoting the wrong number - that model is only a 1920x1080 VA screen.

I use a GW2765HT which is 2560x1440 IPS (3 years old now) and is, as you say, super smooth (as well as being really sharp and excellent colour performance).

http://www.benq.co.uk/product/monitor/gw2765ht

Originally Posted by Chris Simon View Post (Source)
    You've got way too much free time, I guess.
    Indubitably

Originally Posted by Hossi View Post (Source)
    ...And don't forget about the sound, the sound is amazing if you have the proper hardware.
    Seconded. I added a sound blaster z a couple of years ago and noticed an immediate improvement over the on-board 5.1 sounds - imho well worth the money - doubly so if you play with good quality headphones.

I'll take a look at my settings for the sig thing . I'm on the Kindle now looking at tge desktop version of the site.

As for my in game settings, I'm using a BenQ GW2760HS 27" @ 2560x1440 but I'm not running any fps checker to see what my frame rate is. But it is super smooth.
    Control F is working ingame again.

I think you are quoting the wrong number - that model is only a 1920x1080 VA screen.

I use a GW2765HT which is 2560x1440 IPS (3 years old now) and is, as you say, super smooth (as well as being really sharp and excellent colour performance).

http://www.benq.co.uk/product/monitor/gw2765ht

Indubitably
    You are, indeed, correct! I got mine from Scan but they don't seem to have it anymore but Amazon does https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I was tempted by that 32" AOC job given how cheap it was but it was just too big and the stand didn't have any height adjustment https://www.scan.co.uk/products/315-...hoCWg8QAvD_BwE

...I use a GW2765HT which is 2560x1440 IPS (3 years old now) and is, as you say, super smooth (as well as being really sharp and excellent colour performance)....
    On the basis of the two firm recommendations I picked up a 27" GW2765HE - note the E, not T at the end. As far as I can tell (from the BENQ web site) the E and T have identical specifications, yet the E variant is 70 cheaper (which for me is quite significant).

My suspicion is that the E may be the European designation, and interestingly the box was branded as a GW2765, with no HE or HT suffix, leading me to think that they are indeed the same.

200 from box.co it was delivered 'fast-enough for free' this Friday (8th June), the box included all necessary cables, including a Display Port (DP) cable, and the monitor is absolutely brilliant! The colours are deep and rich, and the blacks are black, with everything looking pin-sharp.

It replaced a 24" TN panel from Viewsonic, and that extra 3" and IPS really make a huge difference, I actually uttered an oath as I went through the letter box for the first time - it feels flipping HUGE (as do cockpits)! Previous I just went through the letterbox, now it swallows me.

I was worried that increased resolution (I went from 1920x1080 to 2560x1440, using an nVidia GTX 770) would make games 'chug', but moving from DVI-D to DP seems to have compensated as ED runs at least as fast as before, if not a wee bit faster and smoother. Weird huh!

So many thanks for the recommendations CMDR's o7.

EDIT:
    ...I was tempted by that 32" AOC job given how cheap it was but it was just too big and the stand didn't have any height adjustment
    I can very very strongly recommend getting a monitor arm(s) stand for your monitor(s), as they are completely brilliant and worth every penny. The amount of desktop they free up is massive, and if you attach an angle-poise lamp to the frame/an arm, you've got everything in one place, and up out of the way. To put this in to context, I would give back my BENQ before I gave back my monitor arms. I would recommend my model, but it's so old you can't buy it any more... a bit like me...

Originally Posted by CMDR MacCait View Post (Source)
    Hey Forumites.

While I am not new to Elite (console) player, I wish to switch to Elite on PC... which of course mean buying a PC. Being a Mac guy, I am a foriegner to the world of PC...

...So, as I will be using it for the sole purpose of playing Elite Dangerous at max settings, I was wondering if some of the more experienced Elite PC players may be able to chime in and offer some advice on what to look for, or what is needed to play Elite on PC at max settings?

Any advice is greatly appreciated

Mac
    Sounds like you are sort of in my boat. Cash strapped. This goes to screen shot of what I have >>> https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Bb...zaDI9QIIvc065x << and the setting I can currently run.
    My rig is a Dell Optiplex 990 with 2600 i7 3.4 GHZ turbo cpu. Cost used with 4 gig ram. $215
    I added 4 gb of ram from another machine I already had to get 8 GB.
    I now have a GTX 745 OEM in it looking to put a Zotec 1050 TI in it. I expect to pay a bit over $200 for that.
    The 1050 is the best the OEM power supply will handle but the 990 has a humongous case with easy room for a 650 watt PSU, which should let me eventually run anything I want.
    I expect to have under $700 in it when done and Game Debate puts me above the recommended specs.

YMMV

Originally Posted by henry1491 View Post (Source)
    I can very very strongly recommend getting a monitor arm(s) stand for your monitor(s), as they are completely brilliant and worth every penny.
    People who play with just a stand are like people who say they don't like music - I don't trust 'em.

Originally Posted by the100thmonkey View Post (Source)
    People who play with just a stand are like people who say they don't like music - I don't trust 'em.
    I played around with VESA mounts on my triple head rig.

After all the tweaking and testing and switching units in and out and throwing TV's into the mix - I can safely say "never again"

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast