Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: CPU / MB recommendation please

My budget is variable right now. Its summer in Seattle and I have a motorcycle in the garage that doesnt run and the sun and road call me . So lots of things are claiming money that would allow me to go hardcore on my PC.

Likely this is where I am going with my money on my PC (same as the links above)
    1500X $137 (comes with a reasonably rated fan) (just checked this link and the price jumped to $167, so now the 1600 is within $10, so perhaps the 1600)
    Base motherboard, I think I found an ASROCK for $54
    And 2X4 DDR4 for around $100.

Then of course CV1, but this will still let me get the bike going to or any number of other home repair projects *joy*. So my VR gets an upgrade, but still not what it could be - such is life .

Always this is the best forum ever, thanks for some great help!

Scott

Originally Posted by Desert63 View Post (Source)
    1500X $137 (comes with a reasonably rated fan
    AFAICT the X models do not come with a fan.

Ah OK, it's the older 95W 5-1600X and 7-1000X series CPUs that don't come with a cooler.

Originally Posted by Shadowdancer View Post (Source)
    Ah OK, it's the older 95W 5-1600X and 7-1000X series CPUs that don't come with a cooler.
    The 1500x is a bit different, I don't think there is a vanilla version, hence the cooler.

Saying that, I still wouldn't go with it, the 1600 is far better, also comes with the cooler, as powerful as the 1600x (the 1600x basically being a pre overclocked 1600) it's also s much better prospect for VR.

Originally Posted by MickyG1982 View Post (Source)
    The 1500x is a bit different, I don't think there is a vanilla version, hence the cooler.
    It's a 65W part, the other X models are 95W and I guess the coolers before the 2000 models weren't rated for that.

Originally Posted by Necronaught View Post (Source)
    Bear in mind in CPU intensive games an overclocked i5 2500K can keep up with Ryzen due to IPC speeds. My son has a 2700X and a 1070. He gets about 3 FPS more in Arma 3 than my 7 year old i5 2500k coupled with an RX 570. He was super upset about that. This is playing a 70 player coop. He fares better in Far Cry 4 but that's more to do with his 1070 I would guess.

Go Intel.
    I will say my OC 2500k is hands down most favorite processor I have ever owned. That said, I am currently running a Ryzen 1700@ 4ghz and it has been smooth as butter. Great piece of kit paired with a 1080ti.

Originally Posted by straha20 View Post (Source)
    That said, I am currently running a Ryzen 1700@ 4ghz and it has been smooth as butter. Great piece of kit paired with a 1080ti.
    The power in the rough

Arma 3 is aparently a 2 core process and a 5+ year old game. A terribly outdated benchmark.

New games, and particularly elite can utilize all 12 threads of my i7 8700k and AMD ryzen owners say the same if you don't have a thread count at the ready, something needs to wait.
    And with vr that waiting means dropped frames, and dropped frames make you sick.
    My i7 4790k couldnt keep up with the demands of vr, you might love your aging i5, but at this point it is no more than a functional security blanket.

Practically all games these days can use 8 threads or more from a CPU.
    Windows is also highly capable now to load balance over cores, so if you have more, windows can load other process on them.
    So anyone who says to prioritize single core speed over multicore are just plain wrong and half a decade behind the times.

Over the past year I have been digging into it, and honestly for the past two years gaming has been moving towards truly multithreaded from the old adage of "gaming is a single core anyways, best CPU for gaming is the i5" hasn't been true since then.

Also keep in mind that AMD pretty much was so far behind for so long up until the release of Ryzen.

ED can use as many threads as you tell it to, but without VR it will never heavily load more than four, and the sum of all the rest can often be executed comfortably on one or two logical cores. VR is a bit more demanding as rendering another viewport is generally another two threads of significant load.

My advice is... suck it up and wait till 2019. Seriously. Key reasons:
    * GPU prices are coming down slowly
    * New generation of NVidia cards, the 11x0 is on the way supposedly, and I've learned my lesson with NVidia cards and that is "Wait for the Ti version because it will cause price drops"
    * there is talk about new processors both from AMD and Intel which should lower the price of existing ones, plus you want to make sure you have a new chip without all the spectre/meltdown shenaningas
    * VR can benefit from instruction sets found on newer processors (which an i5 2500 or 3570k like mine doesn't have - AVX2 comes to mind as they started with Haswell). I completely don't know my way around AMD support tho atm.
    * There is usually benefit from a newer chip with more IPC for VR and you can overclock those if you have an unlocked model
    * one can hope for DDR4 price decrease though now it seems unlikely.

At least that are my reasons for holding with building new rig till 2019.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12