Page 26 of 26 FirstFirst ... 162223242526

Thread: Little things that break immersion and world integrity.

One thing I'd like is more or better landing control, right now you request landing and if there are pads avail, you get one assigned and cleared.

You don't have a path assigned to you or way points, and I say this with smaller outposts in mind that make it difficult to see where the pads are.
    But also the bigger orbitals, personally I'd like to see a bigger slot, or even better: Two slots (one for ingress, one for egress)

Also a queue system if there are no pads available, I haven't had to deal with that in ages but in the smaller outposts it got annoying fast

Originally Posted by Stealthie View Post (Source)
    On which note...

The whole thing with NPCs is a bit wacky.

I can hire 3 NPCs in one system, jump into an Eagle, fly across the bubble, swap to a Corvette and have my pick of the 3 NPCs I hired.
    Ergo, they are travelling with me in my Eagle.
    Somewhere.

That being the case, how do they all survive if your ship gets destroyed and none of them are on duty?
    If they're all aboard my ship, why can't I pick which one is on duty in-flight?
    If I have 3 NPCs aboard my ship, why can't I get one to fly an SLF and another to fly the ship while I drive around in the SRV?
    Hell, come to that, why can't I launch an SLF to protect me when I'm in the SRV at all?

So many questions.
    To me the whole npc thing sucks.
    Poorly done.
    Silly.
    Incredible annoying.

Originally Posted by rootsrat View Post (Source)
    UPDATED 15/06

I have received a notification from a developer that they find this thread and our feedback very useful and are taking it on board. Keep the feedback coming guys!

I will keep updating this list to demonstrate just how many different things don't really make sense or are not very consistent with either the rest of the game or itself, or just simply break immersion. Some are smaller issues, some are bigger ones, but majority should be relatively easy to fix - and yet nothing is being done about them, despite some of them being in the game since the very beginning. Instead more are introduced with every release

....[/LIST]
    Can this thread be stickied? This should be a staple for reference of future developments.

Originally Posted by Quester91 View Post (Source)
    SLF is telepresence, it's clearly an afterthought handwavium explanation since their first iteration had life support systems and the fighter could have been destroyed from lack of oxygen. I mean, devs change the lore as best suits their budget at this point, so we're discussing unicorns right now and it's all empty talk.
    It's infuriating, and arguably not necessary. In the 8- and 16-bit Elites "insurance" took the form of saving the game to cassette tape, floppy disk or hard drive in case something bad happened. There was no talk of datavising needlecasts into backup storage or activating clones, either in the game or in the support material which in many cases went into great detail about how other aspects of the lore worked. The creators didn't bother with an explanation because they knew it was a game, they knew that we knew it was a game, and there'd have been little point trying to come up with something coherent that would make sense to everyone. So they didn't bother. Even the game itself broke the fourth wall, with the options screen headed "Load / Save Commander", icons of floppy disks and instructions to "Start Tape, Then Press Any Key."

ED comes along, we go multiplayer with a shared clock, and suddenly everything has to have an inconsistent, pseudo-scientific explanation of which FD have made a complete cat's breakfast. Some members of the community have come up with better, more solid interpretations but even those aren't flawless. They all break down at some point because there's a disconnect between the character's world and the player's world that can't be glossed over. Because it's a game.

If FD had just accepted that and applied it universally like they did with, say, the launch instruction that tells you to press a key on your game controller, we could have done away with much of this pain.

FWIW I think Stealthie's post above is a pretty good stab at reconciling the mess of NPC / telepresence stuff we currently have, except losing the ship on SLF loss if you have no crew is unbelievably cruel to solo explorers who use SLFs as scout ships. It would also require a lot of coding, and history has taught us that community-driven ideas that require a lot of coding tend not to gain much traction.

If I had carte blanche I'd get rid of all of it and keep it simple. When you transfer to an SRV or SLF you are in the vehicle. If you get more than 20km from the ship in an SLF, the ship "enters supercruise or orbital cruise for safety" just as it does when dismissed from a surface i.e. it disappears. If you die in either vehicle, you're put back in the ship. If you lose the ship, you go to the rebuy screen at the nearest or last docked station. No explanations, no lore. Just game mechanics. In this context, that's not a dirty word.

Originally Posted by Jack Schitt View Post (Source)
    FWIW I think Stealthie's post above is a pretty good stab at reconciling the mess of NPC / telepresence stuff we currently have, except losing the ship on SLF loss if you have no crew is unbelievably cruel to solo explorers who use SLFs as scout ships. It would also require a lot of coding, and history has taught us that community-driven ideas that require a lot of coding tend not to gain much traction.
    Good of you to say so.

TBH, I really just want some return on the (gigantic) investment I've put into NPCs.

Ideally, I'd like to see them sat in the empty seats in my ship, being useful.
    I'd like to see NPCs have special skills which, when they're on duty, buff the performance of your ship.
    NPCs might have combat skills (stick 'em in the SLF or use them as a copilot), engineering skills (your ship takes less damage and repairs faster), gunnery skills (better turret/gimbal tracking) or exploration skills (better range on DSS and, perhaps, more credits for discoveries) etc.
    I'd also like to see NPCs have contextual dialogue when they're on duty too, so they say stuff which makes you feel like you've actually got a crew aboard, and I'd like to see some kind of "action wheel" so you could turn to your copilot and then tell them to do things like "Land ship", "Dock ship", Fly to target", "Follow target", "Scoop cargo" etc.

In the absence of any of this (all stuff which NPCs really SHOULD be capable of), it seems like giving NPCs the ability to "rescue" you from a downed SRV/SLF would be the bare minimum that'd make us feel like they're actually aboard our ships for a reason.

Bear in mind, it's not like this'd be restricted to SLF capable ships.
    Even if you were off exploring in, say, a DBX, as long as you've got an NPC on the payroll they'd be available to "rescue" you.

I just think it'd be a simple first-step in creating some usefulness for NPCs to justify what we pay them.

Originally Posted by Lightspeed View Post (Source)
    There's a distance issue with the SLF. If we were really piloting the SLF, we could get any distance from the ship. But they impose a maximum limit, for reasons I don't understand.

The SRV gets round it by having the ship dismissed to "safe orbit." They can't do that with the SLF because we would expect to see the ship.

If they could just scrap the distance limit between ship and SLF, we could be real inside the cockpit.
    It's a technical issue.

An instance can only expand so far. Once two players are far enough away, they split into their own instance.

If you left your main ship in a fighter, and went beyond this limit, your ship ceases to exist. Where does it go? If it is then simulated... Where is the simulation run? It can't run on your machine, that's running the instance your slf is in, and there is no "master server" to have your main ship hold its own (empty) instance.

If you had crew in your ship, and they left the instance in a fighter, both instances could be open, but there's no true guarantee you'll be able to get back into the right one to dock...

And if you left your NPC in control while you flew off in a fighter, while a crew member runs the guns, well, who holds your ships instance? The gunner? Well what about if you can't get back into their instance due to connection issues?

There's a lot of complicated questions, which have undefined answers, all to do with peer to peer instancing.

I hope they find a solution, because until they do, no SRV in multicrew.....

Originally Posted by Novo Mundus View Post (Source)
    It's a technical issue.

An instance can only expand so far. Once two players are far enough away, they split into their own instance.

If you left your main ship in a fighter, and went beyond this limit, your ship ceases to exist. Where does it go? If it is then simulated... Where is the simulation run? It can't run on your machine, that's running the instance your slf is in, and there is no "master server" to have your main ship hold its own (empty) instance.

If you had crew in your ship, and they left the instance in a fighter, both instances could be open, but there's no true guarantee you'll be able to get back into the right one to dock...

And if you left your NPC in control while you flew off in a fighter, while a crew member runs the guns, well, who holds your ships instance? The gunner? Well what about if you can't get back into their instance due to connection issues?

There's a lot of complicated questions, which have undefined answers, all to do with peer to peer instancing.

Thankyou for the explanation +1

Where does it go?
    It used to show up on the GalMap back in its latest dock station but I dunno if it's still the case.

I don't really see the big deal, there, TBH.

"Auxillary vehicles operated from a mothership have no sensors or scanning systems of their own and are tethered to the mothership via an electronic data link which allows them to receive real-time telemetry from the mothership"

There ya go. Problem solved via the use of plausible techno-waffle.

You drive around in an SRV and your ship takes off and remains in orbit above you (conveniently BVR) but maintains the data link.
    You fly around in an SLF and if you go out of range your SLF shuts down as a "safety feature" when the data link is out of range.

Incidentally, depending on how sadistic I was feeling, if it was up to me I might consider getting rid of the "ship AI" completely.
    That way, when you're using an SRV you'd be limited to a range of 25km from your parked ship and you couldn't dismiss your ship.
    Get an NPC and you can dismiss your ship and it'll "follow you around" so you can roam freely in the SRV.

Again, creating more reasons to have an NPC.

What does my immersion...

Hmm..

Probably seeing Mike Hunt, or Chris Roberts ... then, you jump to the max limit of your engineered ASPX, and no sooner have you arrive you see Mike Hunt again.. How many Hunts are there in this game anyway?

oooooooooooh that rattles me... especially if you've already exploded Mike Hunt 3 times already...

Originally Posted by Lightspeed View Post (Source)
    There's a distance issue with the SLF. If we were really piloting the SLF, we could get any distance from the ship. But they impose a maximum limit, for reasons I don't understand.

The SRV gets round it by having the ship dismissed to "safe orbit." They can't do that with the SLF because we would expect to see the ship.

If they could just scrap the distance limit between ship and SLF, we could be real inside the cockpit.
    Yeah, I don't really think the developers spend a lot of time thinking about how to do what they want to do. An SLF doesn't have an FSD, therefore it's already pretty limited in range. If the goal is to prevent the SLF from getting too far from the main ship it could be a fuel limitation. I'm sure it would burn through fuel faster than a normal ship and it should give you a warning when you are nearing the half way point, or point of no return. That warning would need to be adjusted if the main ship is following so that the return range has changed.

As it is the SLF is an expendable drone that can be left behind if the main ship needs to flee. I'd rather that not be the case.

Stepping away from the telepresence discussion, of course there are aspects and events in the game that cause me to scratch my head in wonder....

(1) You jump through all the hoops to get your modules all engineered up. You know that due to the RND gods, your now engineered modules and weapons are kind of unique. And add to the fact that sometimes you even get to use special ammunition with your now highly modified weapons. Then the bubble bursts, firstly the unique ammo that only could be created by a reclusive Engineer with a caffeine addiction can be resupplied at any station, any platform, if you have the right rubbish and trash on your ship you can even create the ammo yourself! Next is the big clanger for me. The Gods of ED wave their pinky finger at you, and you are unfortunately sitting at the rebuy screen. Here is were the magic happens, you have a series of choices: lose everything and take the free ship, pay the minimum and get the empty carcass of your ship back or throw the big bucks and get back an exact replicate of your old ship. Yep, all those modules that could only be lovingly enhanced by our caffeine loving engineer are now readily available at EVERY STATION and EVERY PLATFORM INSTANTLY.

(2) This is kind of similar to Point (1), but the whole 'getting your ship back' at any port via rebuy still confuses me. I can guarantee if I checked at a Ship Yard and Outfitting immediate before a rebuy, the chances of my ship, much less all the modules and weapons being available would be close to zero (notable exceptions would be places that have everything, but they are definitely the exception.)

Page 26 of 26 FirstFirst ... 162223242526