Page 21 of 55 FirstFirst ... 16192021222326 ... LastLast

Thread: Little things that break immersion and world integrity.

Originally Posted by Liqua View Post (Source)
    Agreed that it's a poor design choice.

'simple' fix:

- Every time there is a 1 point change to your reputation with one of the superpowers; the others are reduced by 1.05 points (or some other balancing decay factor).
    - When your reputation in one of the superpowers reaches 0 you're de-ranked 1 level and set to 80% of the new rank.
    - Potentially, 2/3 of the galaxy map will eventually hate you and make travel (and the game) a lot more interesting.
    - Not affected by 'out of game' time (so won't hurt casual players), only affected by your in-game actions.

Your choices now have meaning!

Yes, those who are maxed in all 3 will find, as they play, they will slowly de-rank ... change is always resisted, but sometimes necessary to bring excitement back into the game.
    You know... if the Combat, Exploration and Trade ranks worked similarly- it would almost work akin to a "profession" of sorts.

You could only be one of the 3 at the top- and could still delve as much as you wish, but the result is always one stands out.

Originally Posted by Liqua View Post (Source)
    Agreed that it's a poor design choice.

'simple' fix:

- Every time there is a 1 point change to your reputation with one of the superpowers; the others are reduced by 1.05 points (or some other balancing decay factor).
    - When your reputation in one of the superpowers reaches 0 you're de-ranked 1 level and set to 80% of the new rank.
    - Potentially, 2/3 of the galaxy map will eventually hate you and make travel (and the game) a lot more interesting.
    - Not affected by 'out of game' time (so won't hurt casual players), only affected by your in-game actions.

Your choices now have meaning!

Yes, those who are maxed in all 3 will find, as they play, they will slowly de-rank ... change is always resisted, but sometimes necessary to bring excitement back into the game.
    I very much like this idea. I have a high rank in both superpowers (not Alliance, as there appear to be few reasons, if any, for me to bother) and I would find it very interesting to have to make a choice, and experience very real consequences (beyond loss of standing, into disdain/attacks/worse profit margins/reduced station privileges from the opposition.) Just like in Freelancer. I loved it when I occasionally forgot that I'd jumped into a system where I was not well liked, then realised that I had to "bun like ruggery" before I was piled upon by wave after wave of angry Corsairs.

Originally Posted by Jex =TE= View Post (Source)
    Skip to 2:06
    What game is that? I'd like to check that out...

Originally Posted by RJMcReady View Post (Source)
    also systems that are permit locked by rank but then have nothing of any extra value inside.
    Very good point about permit-locked systems. They seem to be special, but there is nothing special about them. Doesn't really make sense.

Originally Posted by Joe Akeem View Post (Source)
    I've said it before: Gigantic glass domes on nearly all ships is illogical and breaks sense of scale like nothing else.
    It's transparent aluminum, almost as tough as the ship's hull.

Originally Posted by Sylveria View Post (Source)
    You know... if the Combat, Exploration and Trade ranks worked similarly- it would almost work akin to a "profession" of sorts.

You could only be one of the 3 at the top- and could still delve as much as you wish, but the result is always one stands out.
    I would not like that, the Exploration and Trade ranks are achievements. The Combat ranks should be based off you abilities or skill, not how many kills you get. This way Combat could go up and down and you could get more appropriate enemies based on your capabilities not the mission rank. This would also allow the different levels to of NPCs to become harder and more challenging to those who are better, and be manageable to those who are of lesser skill.

Originally Posted by rootsrat View Post (Source)
    Very good point about permit-locked systems. They seem to be special, but there is nothing special about them. Doesn't really make sense.
    This has neve been explained and the source of a lot of frustration with the engineers as permit locked systems only added more grind.

You should write film reviews:

"thread and feedback very useful .... taking it on board"
    developer, Cambridge.

But I jest. It's good your efforts and contributions have been noted. They'll never deal with everything, of course, but if the broad brush is taken on board to tighten up on some of the glaring anomalies (tele-presence anyone?) and to avoid further big issues going forward, it will be a very good thing.

It would be nice that after you kill a Pirate that was attacking an NPC miner the NPC miner says thanks.

Also if the NPC faction is allied - ie. System security si greem the response to friendly fire is the same as if you shoot a wingman - audio "watch it CMDR" and that's it. These fines dont amke sense if you are there looking for bounties.

If NPC with bounty scans you and finds non cargo, they dont go "next time fill it with gold" they realise you area bounty hunter and run away!

Breaks immersion that I can't store ore at a station yet no problem parking a starship there

Originally Posted by Pville_Piper View Post (Source)
    This would be an amazing game if even half those items were added/completed... To add my immersion breaker (that's not on the list), a mission board that reflects the current system state... If the system is outbreak, the mission board should be spamming source and return for medicines not 25 massacre wing missions. If it's in famine, source and return food items, not tea or data. Make it believable. If a system is in boom state, how about adding some source and return missions for rares... "Hey, times are great and we want to celebrate... How bout getting us 5 units of Kamatra cigar and 10 units of Lavian Brandy to help us celebrate". These shouldn't be on every board and maybe only to those who are above a certain rank/status. I really would like my elite rank in trade to mean something.

I hate that I work hard to rank up with the local factions but if I want to do a combat style mission I have to do it against one of the local factions of which I have worked hard to gain rep with. Why is it never to a faction in another system/station that is not present in the current station that I'm not likely to have reputation with? For that matter, why does the station manager or top clan condone lesser factions handing out missions against them in their own station? If it was me, I'd toss them, out on their ear!
    One of my iBreakers is the missions during War/Civil War that don't target the MF they're at war with - not a single one - they target every other MF in the system.

I've also started to notice a pattern where some MFs are consistently offering "good" missions ("good" = extra INF during war, more CRedits during a Boom, etc) while other MFs, especially the one I'm trying to help, are offering no missions for INF or CRedits during the State that one would expect to see such missions.

Why are Massacre and Assassination missions always being offered regardless of MF's State? I know it's a cutthroat galaxy, but it seems every MF supports killing more than anything else.

As someone who once worked on radar systems IRL, I can tell you the multiple cold war style spinning radar antennas at each and every landing pad is ridiculous. In fact, so is having what looks like ATC towers at every landing pad. It's the equivalent of putting radar and a tower at every passenger gate at an airport.

Considering our gun turrets can track targets without spinning radar antenna from the 1980s, these shouldn't even exist in stations at all. If they want to give us a moving thing to look at, get rid of these radars and give us either NPCs connecting hoses to our ship or even a robotic cart or something. Gosh, I'll settle for someone in the window of the "passenger gate" waving at me!

Yes, this really does annoy me...

Originally Posted by rootsrat View Post (Source)
    UPDATED 14/06

I have received a notification from a developer that they find this thread and our feedback very useful and are taking it on board. Keep the feedback coming guys!
    I don't know if this has been mentioned, but I really dislike the sprite rotation on the plasma ejections from stars. It tends to ruin the immersion in VR if you encounter it. When I find an example, I will record it and link the video here.

--edit

See how the sprites in the particle effect is anchored to the ships rotation. Gases, clouds, etc don't rotate in sync with the observer in real life, as far as I know. (CME=coronal mass ejection)

It's a huge immersion breaker. I stopped exploring in VR because it's like a rude awakening each time you see it, and my son stopped playing Elite all together a while back because of it, but he's back now doing other things than exploration.

Planet textures loading abruptly. Specially when landing, where you fix the horizon and see the surface popping, or when approaching at fast speed from supercruise.

Originally Posted by Han Zulu View Post (Source)
    I don't know if this has been mentioned, but I really dislike the sprite rotation on the plasma ejections from stars. It tends to ruin the immersion in VR if you encounter it. When I find an example, I will record it and link the video here.

--edit

See how the sprites in the particle effect is anchored to the ships rotation. Gases, clouds, etc don't rotate in sync with the observer in real life, as far as I know. (CME=coronal mass ejection)

It's a huge immersion breaker. I stopped exploring in VR because it's like a rude awakening each time you see it, and my son stopped playing Elite all together a while back because of it, but he's back now doing other things than exploration.
    OH GAWD, this is massive for me as well, I actually hate it! Every single time it's like a big "THIS ISN'T REAL" in yo face

Very good call, added to the list!

Originally Posted by M4st0d0n View Post (Source)
    Planet textures loading abruptly. Specially when landing, where you fix the horizon and see the surface popping, or when approaching at fast speed from supercruise.
    Never noticed on landable worlds tbh, but it's horrible on atmospheric worlds, especially earth likes. Added.

Originally Posted by Han Zulu View Post (Source)
    It's a huge immersion breaker.

It is now that you made me see it

Page 21 of 55 FirstFirst ... 16192021222326 ... LastLast