Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.
Thread: Message to Brett C: I want an unfocused feedback forum.

Originally Posted by Arthur Shappey View Post (Source)
    I have noted a truism about this forum: it appears to abhor any common sense, discipline, or order.
    Just like Frontiers Game design and development strategy

Originally Posted by Brian of Ardagh View Post (Source)
    I like this idea but I can see it ending in tears. It would be great if FDev acknowledged that they have read suggestions and that some are worthy of being stickied but I can imagine the salt that would be created. If a suggestion doesn't get stickied there will be complaints that some suggestions are being ignored, if a suggestion does get stickied people will take that as a tacit approval, leading to complaints if the suggestion doesn't show up in the next release.
    As I said in OP the stickied threads would be handled by members of the community. It requires 0 dev interaction, Brett C would just create the subforums and everything else gets taken care of by mods and volunteers. That already worked well with Alec's Best of the Forum threads and canon.

Originally Posted by Jenner View Post (Source)
    Focused Feedback forum has the 'structured' bit down, and everything else on the forum is essentially 'unstrucutred' feedback.

Not sure what would be gained, honestly.
    If you look at the feedback forum you'll realise that it's pretty useless currently. There are lots of duplicates and it's impossible to get the bigger picture of the suggestions that have been proposed so far.

Originally Posted by babelfisch View Post (Source)
    If you look at the feedback forum you'll realise that it's pretty useless currently. There are lots of duplicates and it's impossible to get the bigger picture of the suggestions that have been proposed so far.
    Let's make a sub-section for every individual gameplay element.

Seriously though. The only one who needs to read suggestions are the devs. And I don't think structuring the section would help them. If anything, it would make accessing the ideas one click longer.
    As for duplicates, I don't see any harm in repeating a suggestion.

As I said in OP the stickied threads would be handled by members of the community. It requires 0 dev interaction, Brett C would just create the subforums and everything else gets taken care of by mods and volunteers. That already worked well with Alec's Best of the Forum threads and canon.
    As I said, I like the idea. I think having mods and volunteers decide which suggestions get stickied would only make it worse though; there would be salt over "favoritism", "bias", etc.

I think a better idea, based on your suggestion, would be to have some mods or volunteers combine similar suggestion threads, remove threads that aren't really suggestions but complaints, and, if vBulletin has the capability, allow upvoting (but not downvoting) a suggestion thread. If a suggestion thread gets enough upvotes it could be stickied based on community reaction.

The idea of the focused feedback forums is great. It's good to see that FDEV reaches out to the community and tries to get our feedback onboard. The problem is that we like to talk about other stuff as well and that FDEV already has a concept in mind before asking us for our opinions. I've seen so many great suggestions posted on the forums that would truly improve the game, often without being too complicated to implement. Currently this all gets lost in Dangerous Discussion and drops off from the front page after a few hours which makes it unlikely that it'll be seen by a dev. We do have the suggestions forum but because of the way it's structured discussion rarely happens and it just comes down to a number of random threads that face the same problem of Dangerous Discussion minus the Discussion...

I propose a new structure for the suggestions forum basically turning it into DDF 2.0. Each major topic should have its own subforum with sticky threads to gather the best suggestions in one place, similar to the Focused Feedback Forums but managed by the community. Of course there would be the need for moderation, but if I look at people like Alec, Barking Mad or the furry squirrel when it comes to PvP (don't know if he is still around though...) I am pretty sure that we can find someone who is willing to spend some time on it. Subforums would be about the BGS, NPCs, Combat, Exploration, Mining, Trading, etc. You get the idea.

This would be a great resource for FDEV to get an idea about what we want and how we want it. Currently it seems like they are rather disconnected to the community and it makes me sad to see so many great ideas that seemingly aren't even considered.
    Sounds a touch like the disbanded, 'design decision'... no sorry 'development forum' that got cut, chances slim...

Originally Posted by Brian of Ardagh View Post (Source)
    As I said, I like the idea. I think having mods and volunteers decide which suggestions get stickied would only make it worse though; there would be salt over "favoritism", "bias", etc.

I think a better idea, based on your suggestion, would be to have some mods or volunteers combine similar suggestion threads, remove threads that aren't really suggestions but complaints, and, if vBulletin has the capability, allow upvoting (but not downvoting) a suggestion thread. If a suggestion thread gets enough upvotes it could be stickied based on community reaction.
    I think that would work as well.

Originally Posted by Chris Simon View Post (Source)
    Let's make a sub-section for every individual gameplay element.

Seriously though. The only one who needs to read suggestions are the devs. And I don't think structuring the section would help them. If anything, it would make accessing the ideas one click longer.
    As for duplicates, I don't see any harm in repeating a suggestion.
    Again, the current suggestions forum isn't working at all since most suggestions are posted in DD. Posting in Suggestions doesn't allow enough discussion to come up with real good ideas and posting in DD allows discussion but the thread will be lost within 24 hours. The current approach is not working.

Again, the current suggestions forum isn't working at all since most suggestions are posted in DD. Posting in Suggestions doesn't allow enough discussion to come up with real good ideas and posting in DD allows discussion but the thread will be lost within 24 hours. The current approach is not working.
    But suggestion section isn't for discussion.
    You can discuss it in DD to your heart's content and then post it in suggestions once it's refined and agreed upon (like that ever happened in DD. ). Suggestions section is supposed to be a notice board directly from players to devs, not another discussion forum.

imho, anyway...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123