Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.
Thread: Ongoing Forum Maintenance

1. Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread. #1

Ongoing Forum Maintenance

Hi folks,

Just a heads up that we are working on our forums database and load balancers currently, and this will continue up until the end of next week. This on-and-off maintenance will possibly cause some downtime on the forums with the heavier-hitting changes.

So what's being addressed?
    - Slow load times on accessing Dangerous Discussion forum.
    - Prepping for Jurassic World Evolution release this next week.
    - Scaling up our forums instance count and hardware settings over the next 10 days.
    - Updating up the mySQL server... just a little.

What somewhat near and longer term changes are coming?
    - Our forums are growing... quite fast this year. As such, our current AWS configuration is a fair bit out of date. We'll be rebuilding the stack in full.
    - Planning to upgrade our backend from php 5 to php 7.
    - Make a couple tweaks on the SQL database server.
    - Cleanup some older SQL tables on the forums.
    - Throw hammers at the servers and see what happens.

What's the really-long-range changes on the horizon?
    - We still plan to move to another forum software. Other priorities are ongoing right now.

2. Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread. #2
    - mySQL Server maintenance completed.

- Changed how the backend/servers interacts with the SQL server.

- Will be keeping an extremely close eye on this change. This update/change and maintenance should possibly resolve the slow loading on the Dangerous Discussion forum, and may have decreased site load-up times overall.

NOTE: You may have been logged out of the forums during this maintenance window. I completely cleaned out the session table.

3. Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread. #3
    Feel free to reply to this thread if you find any slowdowns with the most recent slowdown fixes applied.

4. Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread. #4
    - Updated memcache a little bit. (Only just a little.)

Just replying to confirm that DD access is now much quicker. It's still a bit slower than other sections, but it's no longer a 5s lag. So thank you, I guess.

Now try to move a couple of threads around. We'll see how good the improvements to Dangerous Discussion were after there are a couple of redirects on the first two pages.

6. Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread. #6
    Had a couple deadlock alarms sent to me earlier today during peak hour. Will be working to fix those this week.

7. This is the last staff post in this thread. #7
    Originally Posted by Chris Simon View Post (Source)
    Just replying to confirm that DD access is now much quicker. It's still a bit slower than other sections, but it's no longer a 5s lag. So thank you, I guess.

Now try to move a couple of threads around. We'll see how good the improvements to Dangerous Discussion were after there are a couple of redirects on the first two pages.
    This is great to hear.

I went searching for a thread like this because the DD forums are slow for me.
    Sadly, still slow today.

Replying to my own post, but speed for DD seems better now.