Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: (MAY HAVE SPOILERS) I went and watched the movie

While it was certainly no Jurassic Park, I have to admit that, for the most part, I liked Fallen Kingdom; I don't know how anyone can say the CGI was bad. I thought the dinos looked great and had a feeling of real weight to them; the volcanic eruptions and explosions were incredible. Admittedly, some of the bigger dinosaurs seemed to run unnaturally quickly (e.g. Anky/Brachios escaping the eruption) but that was easy enough to overlook. I will say that the Stygimoloch scene in the cells was a bit silly and the CGI there didn't hold up as well.

The villains of the story were quite cartoon-ish for sure and because we never really got to know Mills' character, it seemed like a leap for him to go from greedy to murderous. None of the villains really stood out so they were mostly ineffectual.

My biggest gripe though is the franchise continuing to push the plot of the military trying to use dinos as weapons - it just doesn't make sense. What can a pack of velociraptors do that modern infantry can't? Seriously, a T.Rex isn't going to be able to stop a tank, a drone, or even a group of soldiers armed with assault rifles. There is also the logistical nightmare of feeding an army of these animals and transporting them to the combat zones. The concept doesn't hold up and I think they should abandon this story arc in future movies. The JW movies should have just stuck to the investigation of dinosaur intelligence without the military angle (are they social, can they be trained for entertainment purposes, human companionship/work animals, etc).

I think I would have been happy if the entire FK movie had been about trying to rescue as many dinos as possible for transport to another island - almost like a dino nature documentary. They could have even kept the animal trafficking plot and the Lockwood estate/Indoraptor scenes but the emphasis should have been placed on the relocation of the dinos. Then again, maybe today's audiences wouldn't be able to handle a slower paced movie like that.

Either way, I still enjoyed the movie.

Originally Posted by Digitalfiend View Post (Source)
    While it was certainly no Jurassic Park, I have to admit that, for the most part, I liked Fallen Kingdom; I don't know how anyone can say the CGI was bad. I thought the dinos looked great and had a feeling of real weight to them; the volcanic eruptions and explosions were incredible. Admittedly, some of the bigger dinosaurs seemed to run unnaturally quickly (e.g. Anky/Brachios escaping the eruption) but that was easy enough to overlook. I will say that the Stygimoloch scene in the cells was a bit silly and the CGI there didn't hold up as well.

The villains of the story were quite cartoon-ish for sure and because we never really got to know Mills' character, it seemed like a leap for him to go from greedy to murderous. None of the villains really stood out so they were mostly ineffectual.

My biggest gripe though is the franchise continuing to push the plot of the military trying to use dinos as weapons - it just doesn't make sense. What can a pack of velociraptors do that modern infantry can't? Seriously, a T.Rex isn't going to be able to stop a tank, a drone, or even a group of soldiers armed with assault rifles. There is also the logistical nightmare of feeding an army of these animals and transporting them to the combat zones. The concept doesn't hold up and I think they should abandon this story arc in future movies. The JW movies should have just stuck to the investigation of dinosaur intelligence without the military angle (are they social, can they be trained for entertainment purposes, human companionship/work animals, etc).

I think I would have been happy if the entire FK movie had been about trying to rescue as many dinos as possible for transport to another island - almost like a dino nature documentary. They could have even kept the animal trafficking plot and the Lockwood estate/Indoraptor scenes but the emphasis should have been placed on the relocation of the dinos. Then again, maybe today's audiences wouldn't be able to handle a slower paced movie like that.

Either way, I still enjoyed the movie.
    Yeah the 'using dinosaurs as weapons' thing is what I hated about the first Jurassic World aswell... in the original film the velociraptors were truly terrifying, they were something menacing that you couldn't control... but you instantly take that terror away when you see them being trained by humans. They've just made them feel like pets. I wish they kept the velociraptors as the villains.

Originally Posted by UnseatedDonkey View Post (Source)
    The Brachiosaurus moment. So sad

I was quite conflicted by the film. On the one hand it was thrilling and anjoyable.

On the other hand, they start cloning people, destroy the islands and kill all the dinosaurs. A handful survive? - Not for long.
    • 1 raptor - can't breed.
    • 1 rex - can't breed.
    • 1 mosasaur - can't breed.
    • 1 anky - can't breed.
    • 2 trike (mother and daughter/son) - can't breed.
    • a handful of compies - possibly the only ones who can breed.
    Yeah I do wonder what they’re building up to with that “Welcome to Jurassic World” Malcolm line at the end (with the current state of affairs it’s really more of a “briefly welcome to Jurassic California and neighbouring territories”). My prediction is that Maisie is going to be our next villain, deliberately breeding and releasing more dinosaurs into the outside world because she relates to them - perhaps because there’s not just a human in that cloning operation? How bad was Hammond at the end?

Either that or Wu bred them to be super-amenable to hybridisation and the Stegoceratops comes into existence naturally, if you catch my drift. We already know that Blue and Rexy share a blood group, which certainly isn’t normal for two naturally occurring individuals from wild species and the vet implies that any carnivore will do as long as it doesn’t have too many fingers.

well it's not a good movie but a good entertainement, i would watch it again. Some of the comment above just sayed why it was bad, the actors the duo Owen/Claire...come on..
    But i went to see it with no expectations, i just wanted to see how the universe of JP/JW was evolving...and the cool dinos. And i was not dissapointed.
    If you go to the movie theater with high expectations you are always going to be dissapointed, clear your cache guys, this is aint JP anymore. Put your brain next to you and enjoy

I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12