Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: You're probably going to say "duh, it's obvious", but I think I get it now. (PvP dislike)

PvP doesn't actually imply killing each others characters (or here, ships). It just imply a contest that may have a winner. The propensity of CoD-style games have made it about killing others, and there is not much in the game to change that. Although the recent changes to C&P are the first steps to fix that.

S

Racing is PvP as well, without killing. Would be nice if there were more in-game support for it, like a Racing screen where you can sign up, and courses plotted with some form of beacons.

Win, lose, or draw, if I get a fair fight and a gg that's a positive encounter in my book.

Originally Posted by Mean_Mr_Grinch View Post (Source)
    Win, lose, or draw, if I get a fair fight and a gg that's a positive encounter in my book.
    What do you consider to be a fair fight?

Originally Posted by Agony_Aunt View Post (Source)
    A battle where all participants have done something wrong.

Originally Posted by Marra Morgan View Post (Source)
    Perfect answer!

Originally Posted by Un1k0rn View Post (Source)
    I was just reading the FFF, where someone's post struck me.

It said something along the lines of that they don't want to spend time with people who want to fight and destroy them in-game, however, they are happy to have "positive" encounters.

The thing is I can't help but think that "positive" means they have a chance of winning.

Do you guys think this is the cause of the PvP/E divide? People just want to "win" every time, and if they can't for whatever reason then they get upset? Because I'm not sure that's how competitive play works...
    I don't think that is meant by "positive" here.
    I think what is meant is "non-aggresive".

Originally Posted by Marra Morgan View Post (Source)
    If that's the definition, let me assure you guys, I am the fairest fighter of them all in the game.

I know this for a fact by the way, because my magic mirror told me so.

One thing that gets me is when watching top tier PvPers fight it out, its about as interesting as watching paint dry. They take forever to resolve. If this is what PvPers need to aim for.... ugh.

I think Truesilver actually made a post recently about what he thought needed to change to allow PvP fights to be more exciting and less drawn out... correct me if i'm wrong.

One thing that gets me is when watching top tier PvPers fight it out, its about as interesting as watching paint dry. They take forever to resolve. If this is what PvPers need to aim for.... ugh.
    That's true for duels, which is one of the reasons I don't go out of my way for them, but wing fights are often resolved much more quickly and in a much more exciting manner.

To me positive encounters would mean:
    1) we both agree to fight, either to the death or via some other means
    2) we greet eachother, and either have a nice chat, or move on
    3) we decide to wing up to do whatever it is we have a common interest in
    4) Someone pirates me but isn't awful about it

Basically as long as I either have fun (and they do too), or it has the potential for an amazing story, I don't really have an issue with it though. But if I were to be constantly interdicted because they simply want to watch me burn (outside of powerplay), I wouldn't very much be enticed to go back to open because it would simply be incredibly frustrating.

Originally Posted by Morbad View Post (Source)
    That's true for duels, which is one of the reasons I don't go out of my way for them, but wing fights are often resolved much more quickly and in a much more exciting manner.
    Ah, yes, 1 v 1 is what i've seen the most of. I've seen some 4v4s that have been pretty intense.

Originally Posted by Un1k0rn View Post (Source)
    I was just reading the FFF, where someone's post struck me.

It said something along the lines of that they don't want to spend time with people who want to fight and destroy them in-game, however, they are happy to have "positive" encounters.

The thing is I can't help but think that "positive" means they have a chance of winning.

Do you guys think this is the cause of the PvP/E divide? People just want to "win" every time, and if they can't for whatever reason then they get upset? Because I'm not sure that's how competitive play works...
    No, I don't think that is the case. Losing can also be a positive experience. The fight, the thrill, the close call, the not knowing, all that kind of stuff.

Originally Posted by rootsrat View Post (Source)
    No, I don't think that is the case. Losing can also be a positive experience. The fight, the thrill, the close call, the not knowing, all that kind of stuff.
    Perhaps that's a few people a few times here and there, but are there people that each time they sit down and log in do so in anticipation of "oh, let's see what battle I can lose today!"

It reminds me of Wimp Lo in Kung Pow! LOL!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d696t3yALAY

Basically a 1v1. As long as all their buddies don't drop in it's a fair fight. But I will stick around for a sec and fight everyone just to see how good they are.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast