Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Surface Supercruise!

Surface Supercruise!

Hit 32,825 m/s on a gravity well dive last night!

<span data-offset-key="replyToPost_t3_8pzxep_initial-0-0"><span data-text="true">

Anybody gone any faster, under control? (without the beta module bug or that glitch where you get thrown in a mad spin by a station?)

-Sanderling

How did you manage that?

Just used the SpeedBowl gravity well techniques - parabolic shenanigans
    https://t.co/HQGn2P1bnG

Awesome, I did 1700m/s high altitude in a T-10 about 6 months ago, didn't risk diving deep into the well. I think you might have hit the speed record.

Highest realspace speed I've ever hit was close to 3km/sec, but that was immediately following being clipped by someone else exiting supercruise and was very much uncontrolled.

I'm not sure I understand what's going on. You have no pips and are going parallel to the surface at some crazy speed. Is this a bug of some kind?

Since gravity can accelerate a ship beyond its normal maximum speed, careful maneuvering and thruster control can translate your "fall" into forward velocity. Whether it's a bug is debatable.

The general rule is that they are bugs until Frontier declares them to be features.

Yikes. Gonna have to try this one of these days. Right now, I've gone faster in an SRV than I ever have in a ship in normal space.

Superb! (and now Trending in "Best of Forum" in the hope that others get to read about this glorious accomplishment).

o7

No pips is just due to me powering down the distributor to save fuel on the drop, same with the shields. Neither are gonna help if I ground the ship anyway
    I'm not sure it's a bug either, but as was mentioned - conversion of the gravitational pull into forward momentum relative to the planet doing the pulling. As Frontier basically sponsored the recent Speedbowl competition with prizes and press; I'm hopeful it's working as intended.
    It's far too much fun not to be

Originally Posted by Cadenza View Post (Source)
    No pips is just due to me powering down the distributor to save fuel on the drop, same with the shields. Neither are gonna help if I ground the ship anyway
    I'm not sure it's a bug either, but as was mentioned - conversion of the gravitational pull into forward momentum relative to the planet doing the pulling. As Frontier basically sponsored the recent Speedbowl competition with prizes and press; I'm hopeful it's working as intended.
    It's far too much fun not to be
    i suppose this is working as intended, you are basicly orbiting the planet.

Probably not working as intended, but since you can't really use it in combat (unlike some prior ways to push past counter thrust enforced velocity limits), they probably aren't in any hurry to change things, especially since the fix could easily have more damaging side effects.

I'm curious how this was achieved? Could someone detail it?

Originally Posted by Majic-12 View Post (Source)
    The general rule is that they are bugs until Frontier declares them to be features.
    I think its pretty cool that this exists.. Its adds depth to the game IMO using physics and skill to perform a high speed maneuver.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast