Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help my Charity, Mosaiko Immigrant Centre in Sicily.

Help my Charity, Mosaiko Immigrant Centre in Sicily.

Earlier this year my wife wanted to expand our immigrant centre. We host about 12 kids, we were funded by the government and unlike a lot of these centres, our money went into the program. Our money too. Some centres have made their owners rich, ours does the opposite. Even our plans to build a house have been put on indefinite hold as our own savings were plowed into the work.

I had a feeling as to how the political wind was blowing and urged her to hold off, thankfully, she did. Now our funding is being cut and last night our new government refused its first immigrant ship. We'll be lucky to survive six months.

So in the wake of the news of the refusal to let the migrant ship dock, I've started a ridiculous gofundme. It's the money we need to stay open a year.

Even if you don't donate, please share.

Our gofundme

Faccio il possibile, promesso.

Originally Posted by Komemiute View Post (Source)
    Faccio il possibile, promesso.
    Un abbraccio e grazie!

Sicuramente una causa degna. Grazie per la pubblicazione.............. o7!

I've set a bloody impossible goal, but still, unless you try, you can't succeed.

Kids? Some of them look like men. I'm all for refugees but economic migrants from peaceful countries no thanks.

deleted by myself

Originally Posted by Necronaught View Post (Source)
    Kids? Some of them look like men. I'm all for refugees but economic migrants from peaceful countries no thanks.
    They're 14-17. And yes, the ones who're doubted are tested for age since it changes the applicable law, that happens at the disembarkation camp, but we've also had a couple of our own tested as it was suspected they'd slipped through preliminary testing.

Originally Posted by JeffRyan View Post (Source)
    They're 14-17. And yes, the ones who're doubted are tested for age since it changes the applicable law, that happens at the disembarkation camp, but we've also had a couple of our own tested as it was suspected they'd slipped through preliminary testing.
    Sincere question.

Why are almost all migrants male? Is there a culture issue making it hard for females to leave their country?

Not being funny, but I watch the news daily, and the reports on migrants are full of male immigrants. Females seem to be extremely rare.

Originally Posted by Un1k0rn View Post (Source)
    Sincere question.

Why are almost all migrants male? Is there a culture issue making it hard for females to leave their country?

Not being funny, but I watch the news daily, and the reports on migrants are full of male immigrants. Females seem to be extremely rare.
    It's definitely more male, but the number of women isn't as small as you'd think. It's actually about a third. However our centre, being for under 18s is male only. My wife was considering opening a female centre, but given the current climate we're struggling just to keep one open right now never mind expanding. As for representation I can't say. Female migrants have a whole different bunch of issues and are more vulnerable given how easily they're preyed upon for things like the mafia and prostitution. This is still an issue for our male migrants, but less so.

Originally Posted by JeffRyan View Post (Source)
    It's definitely more male, but the number of women isn't as small as you'd think. It's actually about a third. However our centre, being for under 18s is male only. My wife was considering opening a female centre, but given the current climate we're struggling just to keep one open right now never mind expanding. As for representation I can't say. Female migrants have a whole different bunch of issues and are more vulnerable given how easily they're preyed upon for things like the mafia and prostitution. This is still an issue for our male migrants, but less so.
    Thank you for taking the time to explain. I genuinely don't understand the whole situation.

Sincere question.

It is common knowledge (confirmed by very many migrants themselves) that the migrants are young men and in very good health, because they come to settle in europe for economic reasons in the very large majority of cases

And if they succeed to settle down permanently, they make to come their family members which in 9 cases on 10 is very numerous

Thank you for taking the time to explain. I genuinely don't understand the whole situation.
    It's complex, calling them 'economic migrants' simplifies the situation and makes them far too easy to dismiss. Without exception my kids who came from West Africa passed through Libya where they were imprisoned, sometimes tortured and far too often abused in ways we're still dealing with. The spirit they have is the same sort of desire for self-improvement and rise in station that founded countries like the USA and Australia and enriched countries when Europeans did a similar thing a hundred years ago. How that's been turned into a business when done on a large scale is not their fault. I was just discussing today how smaller centres like our own are usually where you find the good work being done. We have 12 kids and work hard to educate and integrate. The larger centres where 200-400 hundred young adults are housed are where you'll find most of the exploitation.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast