Page 11 of 70 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast

Thread: The C-Pod: A DIY Command seat (build log)

I hadn't tested it but have just done so. You are correct, the buttons and switches aren't working It's a shame that they're not looking to support these types of devices. Looks like the iPac is the way to go for any button boxes as that is a keyboard emulator. I will update previous posts with a warning.

I've screwed the back panels on:

On to the front leg pads.

Originally Posted by Attackmack View Post (Source)
    Thereisonlyone

Progress looking great!
    Will the angled pieces on the sides of the backrest be a different color?

FD MUST make ED allow for more controllers or I will be a major gamebreaker for me :/
    Cant see any reason or even complications to add support for it...
    Thanks and yes, a real shame it doesn't currently support these controllers.

All the vinyl material will be the same colour. I want it to be fairly understated and consistent in the colour scheme department.

Originally Posted by Demonmaker View Post (Source)
    Nice one, jealousy setting in haha.
    The wife's letting me use most of the garage for a cinema/games room, I'll have a half decent 7x10 "pod/room" to do something with.

Thanks for the regular updates, it's a very interesting project to watch.
    No problem demonmaker. It's great to have your own space; my wife let me have the dining room as we weren't using it regularly enough

Originally Posted by ThereIs0nly0ne View Post (Source)
    Thanks and yes, a real shame it doesn't currently support these controllers.
    If Windows sees the controller, they why not use joy2key, Xpadder or similar?

Originally Posted by DD_Crash View Post (Source)
    If Windows sees the controller, they why not use joy2key, Xpadder or similar?
    Its possible but shouldnt be needed to use third party apps

Front leg pads have been fabricated:

Top view:

I will start on the stowable console section tomorrow. It will obviously sit between the 2 front pads.

Feedback? Comments? Opinions? All welcome.

Originally Posted by ThereIs0nly0ne View Post (Source)
    Front leg pads have been fabricated:

Top view:

I will start on the stowable console section tomorrow. It will obviously sit between the 2 front pads.

Feedback? Comments? Opinions? All welcome.
    Fantastic work!

Two questions;

How is the stability? I was going throught previous pics and was wondering if your gonna strenghten the overlapping parts of the bottom so it doesnt break if you sit diwn a bit offcenter?
    And the backrest, wont it flex if you put your weight backwards?

Im not calling you fat mate, just challenging the sturdiness of mdf

And secondly, how did you screw the pads to the backrest? Just carefully measured screws straight in from the back?

Originally Posted by Attackmack View Post (Source)
    Fantastic work!

Two questions;

How is the stability? I was going throught previous pics and was wondering if your gonna strenghten the overlapping parts of the bottom so it doesnt break if you sit diwn a bit offcenter?
    And the backrest, wont it flex if you put your weight backwards?

Im not calling you fat mate, just challenging the sturdiness of mdf

And secondly, how did you screw the pads to the backrest? Just carefully measured screws straight in from the back?
    Cheers Attackmack. Thanks for the on-going interest

The stability is excellent; there's absolutely zero flex at the back even though its not screwed onto the sub-frame. This whole section is essentially the core area which the remainder of the seat will be build around. The 'L' shaped sides (which will be braced at the bottom and the back) will be screwed in place and add further to the stability. I'm making this so it's completely rigid at the cost of some additional weight.

The material covered pads have MDF backing. I've just screwed directly through the back and into the pads. I may glue them later as well once the dry assembling has been completed.

I'm 6 ft 2 but slim btw

How wide is it and how wide is the doorway to your mancave/dining room?

It probably looks much larger in the picture than it is; it's currently only 50cm wide (I measured my office chair and bucket seat to get an idea of a sensible width). The door frame is 74cm wide so there's a fair amount of room. I still have to add double thickness sides (circa 6cm) and then the side pods on top of that. It will be a tight squeeze eventually but I can always rotate it 90 degrees and pass it through the doorway on its side.

Just been sitting in it for a while. It seems fairly comfortable although it's difficult to really tell as it's currently so low too the ground and my knees are raised as a consequence. The back of the sub-frame needs drop by about 3 cm for a better angle. A simple case of trimming a few pieces of wood which shouldn't take long. The angle of the back relative to the seat seems good.

I can't believe I'm making a chair sometimes but my wife likes it so that's good.

When I got into making MAME machines as practice I decided to make a stool for my good friend to sit on while we played at the stand up machine. He has a dodgy hip so I thought it would be helpful.

It was an MDF construction that I decided I wanted to paint gloss black. I reckon I spent more on painting that thing than it would cost to buy a decent gas lift bar stool

That put me off for some time but one day I will get back to the MAMEnstien.

Looking forward to seeing this evolve.

Awesome project! How long are you expecting this to take? (Piece of string?)

You may be interested (especially pre-rift) in putting in additional screens using tablets... I found this thread and the programs there are GREAT (and simple to get working)
    http://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=48011

Originally Posted by Ian View Post (Source)
    The creativity, skill and dedication shown by some members of this forum never ceases to amaze me. So, good luck with your project! If the other stuff you've shown us is anything to go by, it's going to look pretty amazing.

I can't wait!
    Because what matters in a chair is how it looks... oh wait no it doesn't.
    [CENTER][SIGPIC]http://i464.photobucket.com/albums/rr4/gtvon/aosig2.jpg[/SIGPIC][/CENTER]

This is inspiring. Great stuff.

Page 11 of 70 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast