Page 2 of 70 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: The C-Pod: A DIY Command seat (build log)

Very nice, looking forward to the updates

Subscribed.....

Greetings

WOW impressive, all I did was salvaged a plank from an old set of drawers I found in my area, velcro'd it across the arms of my computer chair and then velcro'd my X52 to the plank, job's a goodin.

Seriously man, the quality of your previous job smokes almost anything on the market right now. If you ever decided to take orders, I bet you could fund just about any hobby you like. Cheers!

The response on this has been fantastic. Thank you.

The project has now officially started with my order of vinyl material and upholstery foam being placed. I also have clearance from my wife who is tremendously encouraging with my projects provided the house doesn't get taken over with 'stuff'. My kids love showing their friends my designs as well

Once my items have arrived, the first job will be to make the basic seat frame and make sure I get the rake correct. I have a Sparco racing seat in the R-Pod which I'm intending to use as a reference. It fits well and is very comfortable. MDF will likely be used throughout as the construction material. Lumbar support is also a key consideration; I don't want to be getting backache sitting in it. I'll then start figuring out how to arrange the vinyl covered panels / headrest over the top. Why not model in 3D? I think the shape and the variability in the final sizes of the seat panels are going to dictate I 'wing it' - it's never stopped me approaching my projects in this way before. Real world assembly also has a tendency of creating numerous little engineering and design challenges not always apparent in a 3D model.

I'm also going to keep a running total of costs and materials for this log. I can be a little wasteful with materials in an effort to reduce the build time.

Vinyl material (I'm using some good quality stuff for this):

Size: 1m x 1.4m x 1mm (2 way stretch)
    Cost £25

Upholstery foam (firm)

Size: 24" x 40" x 1"
    Cost: £10

I'm also thinking about using transducers for this (Buttkickers) for added immersion, even though it will just be driven by low frequency output. I will factor these in but due to the expense (and the need to replace my now dead GTX680), it will have to wait a while. I will likely go for the large LFE model if I do.

I will also integrate a number of other items to make the build as self contained as possible. Plug and play is best. I hate visible wires / cables.

Power strip
    USB hub
    Neutrik connections
    LED lighting (I also integrated this into my R-Pod)
    3D mouse (3Dconnexion SpaceNavigator pictured below would be cool)

Thanks again for your interest and support. Ideas and feedback at any time is always welcome.

Originally Posted by Uncle Natron View Post (Source)
    Seriously man, the quality of your previous job smokes almost anything on the market right now. If you ever decided to take orders, I bet you could fund just about any hobby you like. Cheers!
    My wife thinks I should do this. I'd be interested to know what sort of market there may be. If anyone is interested, let me know so I can gauge whether to look into it further.

This might be of interest to you also google aces 2 seat
    http://www.simpits.org/design/HowTo_...owTo_Ace1.html

Thumbs up

Appreciate the link and info. Thanks very much for that DD_Crash.

I love this kind of thing and judging from the responses so far there are quite a few around here that love this too. Dabbled with building my own arcade machine in the past but never managed to finish one. Quick hint for anyone thinking of doing something like this - don't play it till its finished or you will never finish it.

Anyone wants more inspiration go check out http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?board=10.0

My biggest problem was the finish of the cabinet, in the UK its really hard to get hold of vinyl of the type used to finish kitchen worktops. This leaves paint as pretty much the only cost effective finish which is tricky at best. What finish are you using?

Love that viewlix inspired 1 player by the way.

Originally Posted by ThereIs0nly0ne View Post (Source)
    My wife thinks I should do this. I'd be interested to know what sort of market there may be. If anyone is interested, let me know so I can gauge whether to look into it further.
    I'm developing with a few simulation ideas also, also with this in mind; Only I'm trying to raise money as an ED.backer, with no computer to play ED on! (GPU not looking too bad but am way short of a CPU presently) .. Until I can afford to finish that, my mind has been on peripherals, first !!

For me it's a converted car seat, but I'm fascinated to learn more about your cabinet making. Any close detailing or links you're able to share, on things like sources for your vinyl, aluminium grilles, more detail on foams and techniques for assembly, I'll be following with great interest.

I plan to develop UI control of the simulator, in link up with the game. As long as I can afford to buy parts to do this, I hope to share that experience too.

Great job. Thread followed and rep due!!

Originally Posted by ZZleeZZ View Post (Source)
    Quick hint for anyone thinking of doing something like this - don't play it till its finished or you will never finish it.

Anyone wants more inspiration go check out http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?board=10.0

What finish are you using?

Love that viewlix inspired 1 player by the way.
    Playing before finishing is a no-no definitely!

BYOAC is an awesome site - plenty of action there which puts my builds to shame!

I searched long and hard for a decent vinyl to work with. I settled on blackboard vinyl - a really nice texture to it, more forgiving than regular adhesive vinyl to work with and now a project staple.

Close up of the vinyl texture:

I use it on my heavily modified, mostly DIY desk too:

Originally Posted by Eyota Winterwalker View Post (Source)
    ... I'm fascinated to learn more about your cabinet making. Any close detailing or links you're able to share, on things like sources for your vinyl, aluminium grilles, more detail on foams and techniques for assembly, I'll be following with great interest.

I plan to develop UI control of the simulator, in link up with the game. As long as I can afford to buy parts to do this, I hope to share that experience too.

Great job. Thread followed and rep due!!
    Aside from the vinyl mentioned above, I use diamond automotive mesh, sourced from eBay. It comes in sheets of around 1m x 25cm and is easy to shape with a jigsaw with a blade to cut metal.

The aluminium bars are actually tile trim. Again really easy to cut and hollow which makes the job easier. These should be available from most hardware stores.

The fine ribbed rubber sheeting I bought on-line from here:

http://www.floormats.co.uk/fine-ribbed-rubber-matting

There are plenty of other sites which offer the same thing.

I've not tried working with upholstery foam before but have done my research - apparently it's best to cut it with an electric carving knife! I'm always up for trying something new.

I'm also always on the lookout for new materials with interesting textures.

Your UI control sounds interesting and it would be good to hear more about it and thanks very much for the rep

I do believe the phrase is "Subscribed. With bells on".
    I'll be in-game as "Randy Marsh"

As you build it, consider transportability because I am sure you'll get an invite from FDEV to show it off at trade events...

Just one word...

Wow!

Please post pix when (if?) you start the new project.

Well this is generating more interest than I'd anticipated which is great!

@DaveB - thanks - I will be considering the ability to dismantle to allow it to be moved.

@Trader Pat, I'm committed to this now and I have a propensity for posting a proliferation of project progress pictures ... that's more 'P's than I usually have on my plate.

Originally Posted by ThereIs0nly0ne View Post (Source)
    I searched long and hard for a decent vinyl to work with. I settled on blackboard vinyl - a really nice texture to it, more forgiving than regular adhesive vinyl to work with and now a project staple.
    Ah! Whats the durability like? I had a quick search around and there are millions of suppliers for all sorts of types of this, got one you recommend?

Page 2 of 70 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast