Thread: Recommended sample rate and bit depth settings for Elite Dangerous Horizons?.

Recommended sample rate and bit depth settings for Elite Dangerous Horizons?.

Long time ED player here with a question. I have a GA-990X Gaming SLI motherboard on my PC and noticed today at the Gigabyte site support there were 3 recent (30/05/2018) updates for the Realtek options all compatible with the latest Windows 10 versions. As I have the latest version v1803 I downloaded and installed them and they are working but now I don't have my usual Realtek GUI as for some reason it has been replaced by a Windows 10 tile style one. I got it all setup again as I had it except for the sample rate and bit depth settings which I cannot remember what they were set as. Can you point me to a recommendation thanks?.

According to this FD recommend 48000Hz (or higher), 16 bit.

Thanks for the reply. As my pretty average I suppose gaming PC has options from 44000 - 192000 in both 16 and 24 bit settings and the Wiki in your link states that ED is high quality sound and recommends 48000 x 16 bit or higher I would like to know what would the best setting be in my case, or is it not that simple?.

you want 48kHz rate for most things that aren't HiFi music these days, and 16bit will be good enough too. Anything beyond that is only really interesting in situations when you know why you need it.

if you set this very high I may well tilt my head to the side a wee bit

I'd personally recommend 48kHz, 24-bit for most things, though if I'm streaming I use 44kHz, 16-bit because that's what youtube wants.

Anything over 48kHz sample rate is a waste (it's objectively pointless and no better at reproducing sounds much below 24kHz in frequency, which is already well beyond the range of most human's ability to hear), unless you are going to be doing a lot of audio manipulation later on, but 24-bit will often sound better than 16-bit on any decent hardware.

I also find the default AudioConfig.xml settings to be a bit overgenerous with the buffering so I reduce it to three buffers of 512 samples. I also force WASAPI rather than XAudio.

Originally Posted by Morbad View Post (Source)
    I also find the default AudioConfig.xml settings to be a bit overgenerous with the buffering so I reduce it to three buffers of 512 samples. I also force WASAPI rather than XAudio.
    You need to be a bit careful with buffer sizes. The game can choke at times and starve the output, which probably will just produce slight crackling but can also straight out bluescreen broken drivers (thanks, ESI…)

Originally Posted by Shadowdancer View Post (Source)
    You need to be a bit careful with buffer sizes. The game can choke at times and starve the output, which probably will just produce slight crackling but can also straight out bluescreen broken drivers (thanks, ESI…)
    Yeah, this is true.

If you are CPU limited, don't reduce the buffer sizes.

Originally Posted by Morbad View Post (Source)
    I'd personally recommend 48kHz, 24-bit for most things, though if I'm streaming I use 44kHz, 16-bit because that's what youtube wants.

Anything over 48kHz sample rate is a waste (it's objectively pointless and no better at reproducing sounds much below 24kHz in frequency, which is already well beyond the range of most human's ability to hear), unless you are going to be doing a lot of audio manipulation later on, but 24-bit will often sound better than 16-bit on any decent hardware.

Great advice, one of the reasons I posed this question was that I don't use the usual PC type speakers. I run an Optical cable from the optical out on the soundcard through a DAC converter to one of those 200W 2.1 HiFi amps you can buy on Ebay, then driven through my old 1980's Beovox S35 passive speakers and a 6.5" passive subwoofer. I took your advice last night and set it to the 48Khz at 24 bit and noticed the difference immediately on starting the game. The sound is deeper and much better overall. Most of all it seems to have improved the subwoofer frequencies. Playing some live Eric Clapton at the moment and the bass sounds really "real" if you know what I mean. Thanks again for the explanation.