Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Lesser-used exploration ships?

Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post (Source)
    Been exploring again the last few weeks in a T-7.

Very good exploration ship and looks the part as well.
    Yes, it’s an absolutely brilliant exploration ship. Very underestimated in that role. I think many people don’t know that it got buffed some time ago and can now reach more than 45 ly.

Originally Posted by Lucius-Darcia View Post (Source)
    What about the federal Dropship? Never seen that on expeditions before
    Somebody took a pink dropship to BP on the original Distant Worlds.

Depends on how you view your question.

Dolphin - a pretty good explorer but not commonly used as such. I took mine to Beagle.

FDL - Not designed for exploration at all so not many use it for this.

Take the Chieftain, itís the newest ship out there, has module space and a half decent range.

Any ship can be used for exploration, the question you must answer is what you can do without on a lot of them. For me, the essentials for an exploration ship are:
    Fuel Scoop
    Heat Sink (at least 1)
    SRV
    AFM
    ADS/DSS
    Mining Lance or Mining Laser (at least one, but I usually take 2)
    Shields (have gone shieldless before, but if you like to land a lot, then the shields, even small ones, are a good buffer for hard landings)
    If the ship has more module space then I will add:
    an extra AFM
    cargo space
    maybe a repair limpet
    Most ships can be engineered into the 40 Ly range, which is decent enough for casual exploration, not really good for fringe hopping, but ok for everything else. I don't necessarily pick a ship for its viewing potential, if I wanna see something better, I just use the outside camera. But I also like a ship that maneuvers well in SC, because that is where you will be spending most of your time. If I am heading to scan an object and come up on it too fast and you have to turn away to slow down and then realign to the object, the quicker I can make the turn, the better, and the Anaconda is just not the ship for this. Its ok but gets tedious when it happens a lot. I have tried several ships out with explorer builds too include the Orca, Beluga, AspX, Dolphin, Clipper, Anaconda, DBX, Cobra MKIII, and am currently doing a maiden run in a Python, which is doing quite well, it does 42 Lys and has all the space for the essentials plus. The Orca is also a fun ship to use.

A lot of ships have drawbacks, the Beluga maneuvers like the Orca, real decent in SC, and is a nice ship, but can only fit a size 6 scoop, which really takes a long time to fill up that huge fuel tank, a lot longer then I want to spend on fueling. Even if you cut the tank in half, still takes a long time to fill it. The DBX seemed too cramped for me on long journeys but 2nd to the Conda in jump range potential. The Dolphin is just a bit shy of internal slots, but is a step up from the crampness of the DBX. The Clipper can jump almost as far as the Python and has plenty of space, but the fuel tank is just too small, can make 2 maybe 3 max jumps between fuel ups, which is ok if you fuel on every jump like I do, but it does seem limiting on where you can take the ship. I like to have more than I need then less. You could, of course, add another tank in a slot, but why add extra weight when you can achieve everything in another ship?

Originally Posted by Kodiene View Post (Source)
    Hi, I’m back. Pretty much looking for ships that don’t often see much use out in the black for one reason or another. I’m considering my IEagle for it but wanna are a different idea here.
    This beauty

the beautiful yet misunderstood Adder!

Mainstream

Anaconda
    DBx
    Asp

Middle-ground ships (examples)

Clippers
    cutters
    pythons
    Chieftain
    cobra
    orca
    beluga
    type 10
    corvettes

lesser used but still somewhat popular

Dolphin
    Keelback
    Type 6/7/9

the needle in a haystack ships

Adder
    FDS /FAS/ FGS
    Eagles
    Viper
    Vulture

Fun fact there are more FDL's going on DW2 than adders!

^^ pretty much my opinion but if you look at the DW2 roster or Inara stats I'm not far wrong with the above

Don't take a Dolphin though, that's my thing all the Krill are mine i tell thee!

A minor note:

Originally Posted by Cpt Shadow Wolfe View Post (Source)
    Most ships can be engineered into the 40 Ly range, which is decent enough for casual exploration, not really good for fringe hopping, but ok for everything else.
    Not really good for fringe hopping? 40 ly was the top jump range that could be achieved before engineering (and NS boosts), and much of the edges were explored then. Sure, you can go for a higher jump range to reach the farthest-out systems, as well as navigate the edge easier, but 40 ly is still pretty decent for that. And well, when FSD boosters roll around, most ships doing 50 ly will make it quite accessible.

@ Kenneth Mcgrew: See? The Courier's so small and quick that you forgot to add it to your list!

Originally Posted by marx View Post (Source)
    A minor note:

Not really good for fringe hopping? 40 ly was the top jump range that could be achieved before engineering (and NS boosts), and much of the edges were explored then. Sure, you can go for a higher jump range to reach the farthest-out systems, as well as navigate the edge easier, but 40 ly is still pretty decent for that. And well, when FSD boosters roll around, most ships doing 50 ly will make it quite accessible.

@ Kenneth Mcgrew: See? The Courier's so small and quick that you forgot to add it to your list!

haha yeah - it slipped through the net, mainly because i have no idea where it fits, maybe the same as the Dolphin, its somewhat popular but not en-mass

There's some other ships i've missed off the list too - scout anyone? and Frawd would be upset with the millage done exploring in the sidewinder but then that is the definition of madness and equal to climbing Everest with a self imposed limit of fitting everything you need to take into a toiletry bag

Originally Posted by Kenneth Mcgrew View Post (Source)
    haha yeah - it slipped through the net, mainly because i have no idea where it fits, maybe the same as the Dolphin, its somewhat popular but not en-mass
    I'd say it might be more often used than the Dolphin because of planetary exploration. When it comes to that, nothing beats it at speed (+ maneuverability) while still having a decent jump range and enough internals. Yes, it's a niche, but at least it has a niche where it performs the best. Meanwhile, the Dolphin is a fine little ship, but it doesn't really have anything that it does better than any other ship.

Originally Posted by Kenneth Mcgrew View Post (Source)
    There's some other ships i've missed off the list too - scout anyone? and Frawd would be upset with the millage done exploring in the sidewinder but then that is the definition of madness and equal to climbing Everest with a self imposed limit of fitting everything you need to take into a toiletry bag
    Heh, nice metaphor But yeah, and didn't he have others popping rocks planetside for him, to stock up on jump mats without having to carry an SRV bay?

Originally Posted by marx View Post (Source)
    the Dolphin is a fine little ship, but it doesn't really have anything that it does better than any other ship.

No....

but it looks darn good doing it

On my PC save, my current choice for tooling around has been a Clipper. Plenty of space for all the usual internals; nice SC turning response; Class 7 fuel scoop means I can usually top off before the FSD cooldown.

The trade off is jump/weight/fuel management. I'll have to engineer it into the ground to get much beyond a 40ly jump range; and with a stock 16T tank I've got enough range for three full jumps and a prayer if I go wandering through a field of unscoopables.

It is a nice change of pace from the Anaconda though.

I am hoping the Lakon Challenger will have more optional module slots than the Chieftain, making it a better choice for exploration. We will find out in 9 days.

The longest exploration trip I ever took (Sag A* and back, ~5600 jumps) was in a combat fit FDL, pre-Engineers.

I had an exploraconda for a while, but the supercruise maneuverability was tiresome, so I do most of my exploring in my Courier or Corvette nowadays.

My Type-6 is giving me angry looks because I haven't taken it to Beagle Point yet. My first visit was in an Anaconda and my second one in an Asp Scout.

So it'll most likely be the Type-6 for me this time. Probably won't carry a shield generator, but repair limpets for the fleet mechanic role.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123