Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.
Thread: Game crashes every single time you start 3D rendering.

Game crashes every single time you start 3D rendering.

Frequency of the Bug/Issue
    Rarely

Describe the Issue
    Game launches fine.
    Main menu works fine.
    As soon as you actually load in to an island, the game will freeze for a second or two before just crashing to the desktop.

I was able to play ONE session of this game right after installing the Jurassic World optimized nvidia driver. Before installing I was having the same exact issue, figured the driver fixed it. Took a break from playing, have not been able to play since.

Reproduction Steps
    Start game, load save or start new game.

Expected Result
    I would rather be able to play my $60 game instead of having it crash when I try to play it.

Actual Result
    Instead, the game crashes every single time you actually load into an island.

Supporting Evidence URLs
    none

3. Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread. #3
    Hey GoNzOTW,

Thanks for your report - I have passed all your info across to be looked into and hopefully find the cause of the crash!

Sorry for any frustration caused by this issue!

4. Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread. #4
    Hey GoNzOTW,

Can you please disable RivaTuner and try launch the game again and see if this helps at all.

THE FOLLOWING ONLY FIXED MOST OF THE ISSUE, THE LARGER ISSUE SEEMS TO BE CAPTURE SOFTWARE IN GENERAL

It would appear that the RivaTunerStatisticsServer (RSS), which is part of the MSI Afterburner install, is the root of the issue.

I was running it as part of the afterburner software with the OSD disabled because I do not use it. I had "Application Detection Level" set to "Low".

I first exited Afterburner, which also exited RSS since that's the only thing it's used for on my PC.

Game ran fine for minutes testing.

I then re-enabled Afterburner and tried it again to test.

Game crashed within seconds of 3D rendering.

I then turn "Application Detection Level" in RSS to "None".

Game seems to be running fine again.

It would appear RSS is the conflict. On my PC, the feature I use that make Afterburner require RSS is automatic profile management so my slight video card overclock isn't running at all times. Setting "Application Detection Level" to "none" appears to retain this function, while also solving the problem.

Other functions of RSS and framerate counting, on screen display of Afterburner information, and video capture.

In any event, I seem to be able to play again. No idea why it worked for one session after installing a new driver. Maybe RSS hadn't yet inserted itself into the new driver's subsystems.

Looks like I may have spoke too soon.

Problem seems to be happening again.

Yup, spoke too soon for sure. My mistake really for thinking I could actually PLAY the brand new game I just paid for a couple of days ago that I have been unable to play since a single session the first day.

So after all the testing above, I foolishly thought I could put the annoyances this poorly built game put me through behind me and actually get value for my $60.

Decided to stream Island 2 as I had Island 1 days before.

Nope, silly me. This game isn't actually playable, it's just crashable.

I don't even have Afterburner or RSS running any more and the crash is back. Get in to a game, get about 10 second of gameplay, hard crash.

After a reboot I can apparently play again, but I'm not even going to attempt to stream it.

So apparently your game decides that if it detects anything trying to capture it, it's going to shut down and then keep shutting down even if you close anything that might possibly want to capture it, until you reboot.

I'm about to just ask Steam for a refund since it's apparent this game is just never going to actually let me play it.

8. Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread. #8
    Hey GoNzOTW,

Very sorry for the frustration with this.

We are currently looking into this issue for you.

Sorry for being a jerk, it's just a bit frustrating.

If it helps, after the reboot I've been able to play, I'm just afraid to try to stream it again.

The problem does seem to be tied to capture software in some way. that's about all I can tell.

I've also noticed that when I exit the game, it apparently crashes as well.

10. Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread. #10
    No worries.

I just rechecked your Dxdiag and I see there is a more up to date version: https://www.geforce.co.uk/drivers/results/134907

To assist us in this investigation:

What programs are you using to stream?
    What platform are you streaming to?

Glad to hear you're able to get into the game now.

I am already running version 398.11 of the nvidia drivers.

I stream to Twitch with the Streamlabs fork of Open Broadcasting Software.

Originally Posted by GoNzOTW View Post (Source)
    DISREGARD THE FOLLOWING POST, ISSUE IS NOT FIXED

It would appear that the RivaTunerStatisticsServer (RSS), which is part of the MSI Afterburner install, is the root of the issue.

I was running it as part of the afterburner software with the OSD disabled because I do not use it. I had "Application Detection Level" set to "Low".

I first exited Afterburner, which also exited RSS since that's the only thing it's used for on my PC.

Game ran fine for minutes testing.

I then re-enabled Afterburner and tried it again to test.

Game crashed within seconds of 3D rendering.

I then turn "Application Detection Level" in RSS to "None".

Game seems to be running fine again.

It would appear RSS is the conflict. On my PC, the feature I use that make Afterburner require RSS is automatic profile management so my slight video card overclock isn't running at all times. Setting "Application Detection Level" to "none" appears to retain this function, while also solving the problem.

Other functions of RSS and framerate counting, on screen display of Afterburner information, and video capture.

In any event, I seem to be able to play again. No idea why it worked for one session after installing a new driver. Maybe RSS hadn't yet inserted itself into the new driver's subsystems.

Thanks for that!! I actually got to play the game for the first time today. It seems to have been my issue as well. I do hope you can get your streaming going again. Best of luck!

Glad it helped, that was the reason I went in to so much detail.

14. This is the last staff post in this thread. #14
    Hey GoNzOTW,

Our compatibility testers have been looking into this one for you, unfortunately, they haven't been able to repro your crashes - however, they believe they have a good idea of what is causing the issue. We can see you have overclocked your processor from 3.4 to 3.9GHz. We believe that streaming (which is CPU intensive) is causing your overclocked Ryzen to beome unstable and the game to crash.

Due to this, can you please fully uninstall MSI Afterburner and return your processor to its base clock, and see if the issue continues to reproduce.

Thanks in advance and sorry for the frustration this is causing you!

I had already backed off the overclock, game still crashes on a whim.

Afterburner doesn't do CPU overclocking in any event.

It appears the main crash issue was related to Ride tuner Statistics Server trying to hook in for video capture functionality that I didn't use. I was able to solve that as detailed above. Actually seems to have been the reason for a long standing PUBG ceash issue I was having as well.

I haven't played in a few days, but I am largely able to play now. If I try to do anything on a second monitor while I play, the game still crashes often. Even doing nothing else it crashes fairly often. But at the least I'm able to mostly play now relying on auto and manual saves.

It's possible I have a slight memory instability, as is the way with Ryzen, but no other games give me the frequent crash issues this one does.