Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Exploration : A Special Case

The trouble with flying in Open for me is not that it isn't safe (I know what I'm doing) but that the steps needed to make it safe reduce the variation in the ships I can fly.

If I didn't mind about "not giving goons the satisfaction of being able to chase me" it would be different, but to fly safely in Open I generally restrict myself to ships which I know I have a very good chance of surviving a hostile encounter in - which rules out a lot of the slower, weaker, low mass lock ships, and a lot of the engineering optimisation which focuses on making ships slower and weaker in exchange for jump range. So my Open explorers were fast or tough or sneaky, while in Fleetcomm I can fly more interesting or more optimised ships without worrying too much about it.

*shrugs* Most of the time you're perfectly safe in Open if you're not visiting a hot spot like an Engineer base or CG or whatever. As a returning explorer, if you take precautions you're ok.

Yeah, I'd also prefer more deep space outposts instead. The problem with introducing any kind of data-saving feature is that once it's in, a lot more people are likely to just hit the self-destruct button instead of go the way back. I mean, I've done that so myself when I didn't have much data worth saving. Plus DSOs have other boons as well.

On Open vs Solo: the big thing for me is the ability to take high-res screenshots in Solo. Plus whenever my internet connection is flaky, Solo is of course more tolerant of faults than Open is. Besides, the only times I ever met someone out in the black (without arranging it beforehand) was at Sagittarius A* and Colonia. (Met a would-be griefer in the latter while I was flying a combat-ready ship. He set up for interdiction, but broke off - guess that was when he saw my loadout.)

As for Fleetcomm, or any other large private group: given that you can't realistically vet potential griefers there, it doesn't offer much more protection than Open. Sure, your would-be assailant will be banned, but that's little consolation if they got you. Mind you, that's a big if: just by being prepared and mindful, you've got good chances of surviving.
    However, Fleetcomm should be more safe than Open before DW2, as would-be griefers wouldn't want to be banned from it before the main dish.

On deep space outposts, I was thinking this could solve the "suicide home" issue if dying sends you to the nearest base, rather than the last one you docked at. I know the death rules changed recently, and the game tries to do that now, but what I can't remember is if the "spawn at nearest base" thing only works in the current system or not. If dying somewhere on the other side of the galaxy were to take you to the nearest base, even if that base is 20 kly away, then the suicide would only save you a few kylies and not get you all the way home, at best. In other cases, it might move you a little further out, depending on where the nearest base is. I think that would strongly deter people from self destructing as a means of long-distance travel, though admittedly it might enable some short-distance travel, though that would always have the cost of not bringing your scan data with you.

If those outposts lack shipyards, it will also prevent people from using the "suicidewinder" trick to get back to the bubble. (though it would be nice to have outfitting, so that livery is in an option)

I like the idea of adding deep space outposts-- it solves a few things and it doesn't require any new game mechanics. I wonder if a fleet of travelling megaships might do the trick?

Megaships would pretty cool, but Frontier have been strangely resistant to the idea of them moving through deep space. I remember them specifically saying that there isn't going to be a weekly express that goes in one jump to Colonia. Still, a megaship somewhere in the core would make more sense than having an asteroid base built there, for example.

I was thinking this could solve the "suicide home" issue
    Why do people think of an “issue“ which has to be “solved“ when others decide to use the suicide(winder) to get back home?!
    Quoting orvidius words here, but read often about this being an issue, which I honestly never understood.

Originally Posted by Rudi Raumkraut View Post (Source)
    Why do people think of an “issue“ which has to be “solved“ when others decide to use the suicide(winder) to get back home?!
    Quoting orvidius words here, but read often about this being an issue, which I honestly never understood.
    I don't think it's an "issue". It's an option which has a penalty built in. It's fine.

It's only an issue in the sense that a portion of the player community takes issue with it. Personally, I don't care. I've only done it once so far, myself, but I know there are others that despise the abuse of a "loop hole" so to speak.

Originally Posted by Rudi Raumkraut View Post (Source)
    It's only an issue if you get to take your data with you.

I have self-destructed in a moment of pique, and the disappointment in myself was a worse penalty than the data loss When that rebuy screen came up offering a brand new, fully-stocked ship... ...it felt like when i was a kid and my Grams bought me ice cream at the fair even though i'd been acting like a little jerk. (still bought the ship, though)

Personally i mostly play in open, be it exploring out in the black, doing missions in the bubble or whatever else.
    Those few times when i do play private is when playing with friends or on the last 5kly into the bubble until i'm back at my homesystem to switch into my combat python. After that it's back into open for me to sell the data.
    And i don't run the beefiest loadouts as well. at least my traders and miners and explorer have very weak shields to max out efficiency but i still haven't seen the rebuy screen because of unwanted pvp so far.

i do however like the idea of a black box that can be salvaged and turned in by anyone for a 10% on the value.

apart from one planned occasion i have never actually seen another commander in the black. i did however see a high wake on 2 jumps in a row once so someone took a similar route there slightly in front of me.

o7

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12