Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Possibly dumb question...

Possibly dumb question...

Hello fellow CMDRs o7

Last night I was killed by a player at the CG and after the rebuy screen I wanted to send them a friendly, "Good-Game" message. I went to my history contacts and I found them in the list... but there was no way to send them a direct txt message? It appears the only options where to add them as a friend, block them, and remove them from the history?

Am I missing something?

It was a good time and I'd like to thank them for the thrill of the hunt

Thanks!

Sounds about right. Elite’s messaging system is barely a place holder for a place holder.

So is the only way for me to message them, to add them as a friend, txt them, and then when the exchange is over, remove them from my friends list? (will have to remove them so that neither of us have an unsporting advantage in the future)

Originally Posted by IndigoWyrd View Post (Source)
    Sounds about right. Elite’s messaging system is barely a place holder for a place holder.
    Yep.

There is function you can type in the chat bar, /to but I’ve never figured out the format for users names.

Originally Posted by IndigoWyrd View Post (Source)
    There is function you can type in the chat bar, /to but Iíve never figured out the format for users names.
    Oh really?! lol... that's a very crazy way of doing things. Would also be nice if that were in a help file somewhere.
    I appreciate the info...

If anyone has any instructions on how that works it would be mighty appreciated

o7

according to the wiki, this should work:

• /d (or /direct, or /to) then a player's Commander name then your message to send a direct message.

http://elite-dangerous.wikia.com/wiki/Communications

Originally Posted by Andovar View Post (Source)
    according to the wiki, this should work:

• /d (or /direct, or /to) then a player's Commander name then your message to send a direct message.

http://elite-dangerous.wikia.com/wiki/Communications
    but only if you are in the same instance, basically the same as in the chat

Originally Posted by Raino View Post (Source)
    but only if you are in the same instance, basically the same as in the chat
    This.
    You cannot send a message just to anybody. You need there permission first. Just imagine everybody could spam to anyone whose cmdr name he knows.

Originally Posted by Hossi View Post (Source)
    This.
    You cannot send a message just to anybody. You need there permission first. Just imagine everybody could spam to anyone whose cmdr name he knows.
    Honestly this feels like more hindrance than help.
    If someone started spamming you, you could just add them to your ignore list.
    But if you wanted to talk to someone who just left your instance, you can't? Why? I just don't see how this is a good thing.
    Being able to chat directly with people is a basic feature of online multiplayer games.

On this forum, yers is possibly one of the least dumb questions because it exposes a major flaw with the multiplayer aspect of the game...the chat interface this game uses is actually less effective than the chat interface systems in games made almost 20 years ago. Personally speaking, we always hated it too ^

Thanks for the responses and the information about the command-line style function.

I think that if you've had a direct interaction with a player.. Be it, an interdiction a kill or escape, etc... Even when you both have since gone on to other instances, you should be able to contact that player.

I understand the desire to protect people from spamming, but I think especially for players that have killed someone or been killed there should be a line of communication left open, even if just for a short period of time, 30 mins, etc...

I was fixated with trying to survive (was dead in the water) and after giving up on trying to repair-reboot, I started to txt them a message but was blown up before I could finish. I feel like the aggressor CMDR thought I was possibly combat logging... which I don't do. ever.

I've searched for their cmdr name across the forums, reddit, etc... and they don't appear to be active in the web community. I will not name them as that would be a violation of the name and shame rules. (not that this is a shaming thing at all)

This entire systems seems incredibly broken to me given the persistent-MMO style of game that Elite is.

Has Fdev ever talked openly about changes to this system? I feel like it rarely comes up in discussion so perhaps Frontier feels it's "done" as a feature? That would be depressing :/

OP, seriously, there are very, very few dumb questions where Elite is concerned.

Originally Posted by Speedcuffs View Post (Source)
    OP, seriously, there are very, very few dumb questions where Elite is concerned.
    Haha not even a trace of sarcasm in agreeing with that sentiment actually ^

A question to the op...or anyone else fer that matter who cares and knows frontier games in the past...how many of those games were multiplayer?

Food fer thought yes?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast