Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can you "pre-mine" something before taking a mining mission?

Can you "pre-mine" something before taking a mining mission?

Can I accept and turn in a mining mission all in one go, if I have already mined the required quantity of, whatever? I assume you can't buy the stuff at market, to satisfy a mining mission. But can you use something you happen to already have in your hold, provided you mined it yourself?

I used to do it all the time. Not sure what changes were made in 3.0, but I would mine, then go back to the station and check for missions before selling it as a commodity.

You can, but Murphy will dictate that you are never offered a mission for something already in your hold.

Originally Posted by BradHann View Post (Source)
    You can, but Murphy will dictate that you are never offered a mission for something already in your hold.
    Murphy's law is strong with Elite.

But sometimes it works out. (And sometimes you're flying from one station to another to get rid of those last couple,of tonnes of osmium and the mission board simply says "nope")

Dom, the guy in charge of the mission system, says that the mission generator doesn't look at your cargo when generating missions.

Originally Posted by Limoncello Lizard View Post (Source)
    Dom, the guy in charge of the mission system, says that the mission generator doesn't look at your cargo when generating missions.
    Be honest, if you were programming a feature to troll the players, would you tell them?

Originally Posted by Chris Simon View Post (Source)
    Be honest, if you were programming a feature to troll the players, would you tell them?
    Yes, that does fit the sadistic sense of humour we have learned to expect from FD.

Embarrassed to say, this had never occurred to me! Thank you, OP, for turning the light on for me.

You certainly can, and my experience (limited with ED but vaaaaast with Murphy) indicates repeatedly.
    Week before last I fitted out my T6 Miner and stacked my mishlist with Methanol Monohydrate tasks. Headed a few hops to a Pristine Icy set I'd mapped and went to work. I set my Recovery limpets to ignore anything but a couple targets and I made heavy use of Prospectors. And I went back & forth a fair amount, but every time I got back to station there'd be completions to turn in and fresh to take on. Typically, I had a running demand for 80-180T, and probably fulfilled close to 600T (maybe more?) for the week.

But when I'd get back and turn in completions, I'd usually have leftover inventory that would be enough to fulfill a waiting new mish, and they are very do-able this way. Absolutely. At least, for now. On console. hth *<8) o7

Originally Posted by kris44dad View Post (Source)
    I assume you can't buy the stuff at market, to satisfy a mining mission.
    That assumption is probably worth testing - certainly buying goods for mining missions was allowed in 2.4 (though it eats into the profits).

There are mining CGs that won't accept bought goods, but the standard missions certainly have allowed you to do this (though I only do this for BGS reasons, and haven't needed to recently).

Originally Posted by Factabulous View Post (Source)
    That assumption is probably worth testing - certainly buying goods for mining missions was allowed in 2.4 (though it eats into the profits).
    2.4 allowed you to buy the stuff for the mission in the same station. This has been fixed, but you can still buy goods for a mining mission, just has to be at a different station.

Originally Posted by Limoncello Lizard View Post (Source)
    ... but you can still buy goods for a mining mission, just has to be at a different station.
    Assuming it's not a material/substance that's available ONLY through mining, perhaps. Would need verification, personally, but I only tried once and that mish turned out to be for a 'Mined Only" sourcing solution. So I just kept goin' wit' da flo' yo!?

Originally Posted by Ziraben View Post (Source)
    Assuming it's not a material/substance that's available ONLY through mining, perhaps. Would need verification, personally, but I only tried once and that mish turned out to be for a 'Mined Only" sourcing solution. So I just kept goin' wit' da flo' yo!?
    You can get platinum at some of the crashed anacondas. I've salvaged painite a couple of times.

Quest givers only want the fresh stuff. I could offer someone to get be a box of chocolate chip cookies and they could go to the store to get them, but the person that actually bakes them for me and delivers them still warm out of the oven will win my contract. Maybe it's the same principle...

Originally Posted by khaos526 View Post (Source)
    Quest givers only want the fresh stuff. I could offer someone to get be a box of chocolate chip cookies and they could go to the store to get them, but the person that actually bakes them for me and delivers them still warm out of the oven will win my contract. Maybe it's the same principle...
    What sort of cookies are you eating that you would use them in an analogy about rocks?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast