Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.
Thread: Key Binds Folder

Key Binds Folder

HI

I have recently installed ED on PC after some time on PS4. Can you advise where the key Binds are located as I would like to keep a copy of my HOTAS key binding after having lost them before following computer failure.

My setup is Win 7 Ultimate 64 Bit. I have one 128 gig SSD as C: drive and one 2TB as D: drive on which my games are installed on.

OK I found the location haddent turned on View all Files dugh!!

C:\Users\XXX\AppData\Local\Frontier Developments\Elite Dangerous\Options\Bindings

Hopefully this might help some one else down the track.

Fly Safe
    Cmdr: Victis Honor o7

Thanks Allan

C:\Users\*******\AppData\Local\Frontier Developments\Elite Dangerous\Options\Bindings

or %localappdata%\Frontier Developments\Elite Dangerous\Options\Bindings

(Both are the same thing, ******* is your username)

3. This is the last staff post in this thread. #3
    Hey Knightal,

I can confirm that Para Handy's post is correct and I hope you enjoy your new platform and the experiences it shall bring

Fly safe commander,

My computer had an update and now I lost all of my keybinds. I have slowly tried to redo them. When I use voice command Alix repeats “departure handover but the ship doesn’t raise and my ship is damaged. I get a message that keybinds for throttle up not set. When I go to “throttle up” what do I enter, also which coloum do I enter it left or right? How can I get a list of commands?

Originally Posted by pilotincmd2 View Post (Source)
    My computer had an update and now I lost all of my keybinds. I have slowly tried to redo them. When I use voice command Alix repeats “departure handover but the ship doesn’t raise and my ship is damaged. I get a message that keybinds for throttle up not set. When I go to “throttle up” what do I enter, also which coloum do I enter it left or right? How can I get a list of commands?
    You could start by looking in the manual - link on your launcher.

fed up of losing binds?
    here's how not too see post 2 onward https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showth...38#post6198538

Bookmarking so I can find the copy I saved.

Do you need to save all the files in this directory?
    I have:
    Custom.2.0.binds
    Custom.3.0.binds
    StartPreset.start

Originally Posted by Mysturji View Post (Source)
    Bookmarking so I can find the copy I saved.

Do you need to save all the files in this directory?
    I have:
    Custom.2.0.binds
    Custom.3.0.binds
    StartPreset.start
    Custom.3.0.binds
    To add extra flavour, you can rename it to your liking, and make it selectable in the controls selection screen.
    Just rename the copy to yourfancyname.binds and open the copy in a text editor, and replace "Custom" on the 2nd line with "whatever you want to see", and then copy the file to your E: D install directory \ControlSchemes. You just need to keep a copy elsewhere, as all updates clear all but FDEV defaults from the ControlSchemes folder.

(disregard, misread… just don't put stuff in ControlSchemes because why would you do that, the game picks up custom named schemes from your user profile just fine and updates will not touch those.)

Originally Posted by Shadowdancer View Post (Source)
    (disregard, misread… just don't put stuff in ControlSchemes because why would you do that, the game picks up custom named schemes from your user profile just fine and updates will not touch those.)
    ... unless they are still called "custom" it seems.

Originally Posted by Para Handy View Post (Source)
    ... unless they are still called "custom" it seems.
    Even then updates do not delete them; issues arise when device names change and you change and save your binds, that's when the game will overwrite the "custom" binds with the current version. Just saving them to somewhere else doesn't do much in that case though since you'd still need to manually fix your stuff

Originally Posted by Shadowdancer View Post (Source)
    Even then updates do not delete them; issues arise when device names change and you change and save your binds, that's when the game will overwrite the "custom" binds with the current version. Just saving them to somewhere else doesn't do much in that case though since you'd still need to manually fix your stuff
    However, every time someone posts that their bindings have been lost on update, they were just using "custom". I have always renamed & edited and never ever lost my binds.

When a device is missing while you're editing custom binds or a default profile, it will overwrite the file, IME that's about the only way to really lose them. You can rename inside the user profile folder and so far no update has touched those.

I really hope Frontier add some management functionality and support for missing devices, because right now it's Not Great™. Since 3.0 the game won't even show bindings unless all devices are connected, so the game kinda tricks you into overwriting what you had