Thread: Federation ranking tips needed please

Federation ranking tips needed please

Hi All...I'm new to the ranking system in ED and I want to up my federation rank (currently NONE!). I've dug around and understand some of the concepts:

1. take on federation missions including passenger missions to increase federation reputation.
    2. take on federation naval missions when available to move up the ranks.

I've heard mention of speeding up this Federation ranking by taking on missions between stations in Zhana & Gang Yun. Is this true?....if so does anyone have further details or tips on this please.

Thanks in advance for any help with this.

SJS1968.

Originally Posted by sjs1968 View Post (Source)
    Hi All...I'm new to the ranking system in ED and I want to up my federation rank (currently NONE!). I've dug around and understand some of the concepts:

1. take on federation missions including passenger missions to increase federation reputation.

I've heard mention of speeding up this Federation ranking by taking on missions between stations in Zhana & Gang Yun. Is this true?....if so does anyone have further details or tips on this please.

SJS1968.
    https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showth...-back-2-8-2018

Take a look there.

But you got the essentials down.

Originally Posted by sjs1968 View Post (Source)

SJS1968.
    Ye, exactly that. It really doesn't take long if you focus on it. I have only been playing for a month (and I have four kids and work, so that isn't an intense month, no idea my hours but I'm under 50) and I am Lt Commander. I just picked a long route that worked as a lap between around 20 planets, with the furthest-most few more than 20ly apart from near the centre (so I could sell exploration data within my route), within Federation space, and take predominantly Federation missions (data etc ones are fine in the days before passenger cabins, I still take them now) - I just take missions where one of the potential rewards is a three star boost to reputation. It really doesn't take many of those to become friendly and then allied with the faction, superpower rep boosts, then you get missions offered which offer rank promotions (they are offered with a three link chain symbol in black). By the time I got my first one of those, my rank progress bar showed 100%. But actually when I took my first ranking mission and completed it it was still at 100% afterwards - I got all the way up to Lt Commander before it dropped to 91%, and that off limited playing time. So it does move quickly as long as you keep taking the three star rep missions.

There are differing opinions as to whether to go somewhere remote or somewhere highly populated but in both cases you need a large supply of Federal missions. I choose somewhere in the bubble where there were many stations in each system and multiple Federal factions. There is more money in Passenger missions but I found it faster (but less profitable) to do cargo delivery missions due to the relative availability of each. You are looking for a large supply of high REP missions, ideally to a common target station so you can make one trip and deliver many missions.

Originally Posted by Azreh Helas View Post (Source)
    https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showth...-back-2-8-2018

Take a look there.

But you got the essentials down.
    Back when I posted that thread you didn't have the choose your reward option to get rep+++.
    I'd imagine it would take a lot less time to rank up now than it did then.

Despite not currently being in boom, running data from Chakpa to Ochosi is still quite viable for Federation ranking today.

I came here looking for a quick place to farm up some modular terminals for Qwent, been able to queue up 20 data missions fairly easily. Figure I’ll have probably earned a FAS or Gunship by the time I’m done...

I have my own place for hardcore Fed ranking, the traffic report suggests I’m the only one who knows about it and I’ll be keeping it that way!

Originally Posted by GeoDanger View Post (Source)
    Back when I posted that thread you didn't have the choose your reward option to get rep+++.
    I'd imagine it would take a lot less time to rank up now than it did then.
    That's probably true i only started ranking once 3.0 came out. The important thing though is that Ceos and Sothis are mentioned, they are a federal rank gold mine. i Made a couple of million Cr while doing it too.

Originally Posted by Azreh Helas View Post (Source)
    That's probably true i only started ranking once 3.0 came out. The important thing though is that Ceos and Sothis are mentioned, they are a federal rank gold mine. i Made a couple of million Cr while doing it too.
    Oh yea, totally agree. The fact the Fed. missions go to and from those 2 spots coupled with decent payouts once allied make it a go to spot. If I started a new account I'd go there right away in fact.

Originally Posted by CMDR Maymo View Post (Source)
    Despite not currently being in boom, running data from Chakpa to Ochosi is still quite viable for Federation ranking today.

I came here looking for a quick place to farm up some modular terminals for Qwent, been able to queue up 20 data missions fairly easily. Figure Iíll have probably earned a FAS or Gunship by the time Iím done...

I have my own place for hardcore Fed ranking, the traffic report suggests Iím the only one who knows about it and Iíll be keeping it that way!
    I did this yesterday it it was amazing! I went from cordial with the feds to allied, ranked up from cadet to chief petty officer and was averaging about 5 mil cr an hour, which is pretty dang good considering I only started picking up the higher paying missions after allying. I did all that in about 2 hours so Im very pleased indeed.

Does anyone know of something similar for the Empire? Im sure someone will complain that is taking advantage of the system, but for my style of game play I want to get the permits and ships more than anything first so I can delve into my role play.

Originally Posted by TheKryptoKraken View Post (Source)
    I did this yesterday it it was amazing! I went from cordial with the feds to allied, ranked up from cadet to chief petty officer and was averaging about 5 mil cr an hour, which is pretty dang good considering I only started picking up the higher paying missions after allying. I did all that in about 2 hours so Im very pleased indeed.

Does anyone know of something similar for the Empire? Im sure someone will complain that is taking advantage of the system, but for my style of game play I want to get the permits and ships more than anything first so I can delve into my role play.
    Yeah, the best place I’ve ever ranked Empire is Mainani. Unfortunately it looks like the systems in lockdown this week, however the system Ngalinn next door is still up and running, Hickman Survey can usually provide 20 data Empire missions.

Edit: I’m actually on the way back from Maia in a DBX, I’ll pop in on the way past and check for you.

Edit 2: Yeah, there’s a bunch of CMDRS here working the system, always a good sign. It’s riddled with war but the data is still flowing ok...

...and the lockdown just finished.

Thank you so much CMDR Maymo, your information has been a huge help for me! +Rep

Also, if anyone is interested in more Empire ranking, while I was using CMDR Maymo's advice I jumped over to Firsoff Orbital to pick up the Imperial Courier, figured if i'm going to be running data missions for a while I should be a legit Courier lol, and the station is currently in an expansion. Data mission runs are HIP 8758 > Firsoff Orbital to HIP 8444 > Bliss Base and back. I've been getting between 15-20 missions without board hoping and allied with most factions off my first run, most missions seem to have a time bonus so one round trip I have been netting around 3 mil cr. Only draw back I've seen are the stations are around 3k Ls from drop in so it takes a little longer than the Mainani/Ngalinn run but one bonus is that Firsoff has a TON of ships and mods.

Thanks everyone for all the replies - big help plus tips on empire ranking when I get to that.

I'm currently ranking up with FED and earning plenty of credits between CEOS & SOTHIS in my Python.

Only issue to be aware of with my Python is landing at SOTHIS Mining platform which seems to have just the one medium landing pad so quite often get landing request denied. Couldn't figure this out at first until I realised this limitation. Wouldn't it be better if the game informed the player that all available landing pads occupied....please wait rather than just an abrupt "Landing request denied" without any explanation.