Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
Results 76 to 90 of 102

Thread: How are you guys not losing tons of money?

  1. #76
    Originally Posted by IndigoWyrd View Post (Source)
    In almost 4 years and numerous bug released, the closest experience I have had with this has been looking for thargoid probes around ammonia worlds. Sometimes they show up, sometimes I’ll make 2 dozen orbits and find nothing. That’s been it for me though. I’ve even joined other commanders who’ve been on the hunt for a mission target for an hour or more, drop into the system, ADS scan or Nav scan, fly to the target planet and find the mission target before completing a full orbit.
    It definitely happens.

    I do wonder if there are explanations though.

    For example, I once took 4 assassination missions at the same time, completed the first one, headed for the second one and the target was a no-show.
    Eventually, I realised that if I waited much longer I was going to run out of time for the two remaining missions.
    Jumped to a different system, honked, headed for the target planet and then got interdicted by my intended target.
    That's always a time-saver but then I was even happier because my target for the previous mission jumped-in as well.

    I wonder if there are times when, perhaps, your target is supposed to interdict you but if that doesn't happen for some reason they won't be at the designated location?
    You're waiting for them at the target location and, meanwhile, your target is hanging around the system's jump-in point which might be 100kls away, well out of range of your sensors.

  2. #77
    Originally Posted by Stealthie View Post (Source)
    It definitely happens.

    I do wonder if there are explanations though.

    For example, I once took 4 assassination missions at the same time, completed the first one, headed for the second one and the target was a no-show.
    Eventually, I realised that if I waited much longer I was going to run out of time for the two remaining missions.
    Jumped to a different system, honked, headed for the target planet and then got interdicted by my intended target.
    That's always a time-saver but then I was even happier because my target for the previous mission jumped-in as well.

    I wonder if there are times when, perhaps, your target is supposed to interdict you but if that doesn't happen for some reason they won't be at the designated location?
    You're waiting for them at the target location and, meanwhile, your target is hanging around the system's jump-in point which might be 100kls away, well out of range of your sensors.
    In my line of work I often tell people: “I believe you when you say ‘this thing happened.’ It’s just not happening when I look for it.” There could be something to stacking these missions causing issues. As a non-stacker that might be why I’ve never had this problem.

    As for running out of time... unless you’re actually waiting that half hour before heading to Some system to look for that target that will be there between 3:30 and 4:15 or whatever the flavor text says, there’s no reason to run out of time.

  3. #78
    Originally Posted by 777Driver View Post (Source)
    I Make around 50 million every 15 minutes trucking in a bulk freighter. Lost 40 million in 30mins fighting in a CZ in open a few weeks back.. I stick to trucking or fighting NPC’s, PvP is expensive.
    Wish I could figure out how to do that. Best I can do is around 3 million every 15 minutes. I can make more with missions, but that's more hit and miss.

  4. #79
    Originally Posted by Hossi View Post (Source)
    Honking the ADS does not currently work for WING-Missions, it does work for regular non-wing-missions though. I used it several times yesterday.
    Honking the ADS sometimes fails to work for Assassination missions - sometimes, not always. In those cases, you have to scan the Nav beacon. Most other solo missions work just fine with a honk (e.g. Planetary scan).

  5. #80
    OP:
    You are out of practise and a bit unfamiliar with the current game idiosyncrasies. Easy to remedy by just playing for awhile.

    I'd fly a less expensive ship to reduce risk for awhile, and try to get up to speed on the new stuff. Like a Hauler fitted up for simple passenger transport. Fly it for a couple days, fight some interdictions, and regain your skills at flying, landing and navigating. You can get a jump of about 50 LY with that little ship, and pulling VIPs on sightseeing tours will easily get you back in the black both in your ledger and in the galaxy. Stack up some G5 engineering materials easily that way.

    When you are ready to start combat, add on a single fixed multicannon, and mod that with anything plus the Corossive experimental. Then go stalk stuff in High RES, wait for the police to start fights, and jump in at the shallow end.

  6. #81
    Originally Posted by keem85 View Post (Source)
    I'll admit that I'm out of the loop on many things in Elite. Got myself a new battlestation at home and wanted to start Elite again.. I went for a Mother Gaia mission to eliminate a pirate in a system ROSS.. I went to the system ROSS and looked for this pirate for an hour, scanning every ships I could scan in supercruise, but I was not able to find him..... After a while I got bored, because a million payout check for a pirate that takes HOURS to find, is...... imbalanced? So anyways, I tried to interdict a few harmless NPC's, and I failed the interdiction every time. Don't know why they are so hard to interdict. Failed every time.. So I went to the NAV beacons to shoot down some wanted NPC's or someone with a bounty. Found an NPC with a bounty and I shot her down, and immediatly I got shot down too.. And I lost almost 5.000.000 (five million) credits in insurance cost on my Python.. I had played for THREE hours without being able to earn a single coin, but losing five million in an instant...

    This is happening everytime I try to start playing Elite again.. And to be honest, this is what's keeping me from playing Elite all together, because I'm afraid to lose all of my money... How the heck am I supposed to play this game and feel like I'm actually gaining something? I don't want to be doing trading all the time.. I don't have the funds to die all the time... I'm not able to do bounty missions... And if I'm lucky enough to do the bounty mission, there is a risk for me to lose all of my millions in an instant.. So please, if you have ANY good and helpful advice for me, please share... I really want to be start playing again....
    o7 CMDR. As others have said, sometimes you need to go backwards, before you go forwards. I suggest think about what you want to do, then get a small ship to do that task. If you want any help in-game, add me as a friend if you want.

    CMDR Zarra Zarson

  7. #82
    Hi op.

    What most people tend to do is exploit the game until they can afford to die thousands of times.
    Google and Youtube will help you find the current exploits.
    Dont worry Fdev dont do anything about the exploited credits, Its allowed !

    Happy searching!

  8. #83
    Originally Posted by wrmiller View Post (Source)
    I know, right? Took me months to get a Python, and have never lost it. But then I didn't try taking on assignation missions until just recently. And I use a highly engineered Corvette or Python to do it.

    Wandering into a little understood situation with a rather expensive ship is just asking for it IMO. But then maybe I'm more cautious than most.
    I was doing wing missions solo in a Python. It was hard, involved a lot of running and dodging, but pulled it off about 50% of the time.

  9. #84
    Originally Posted by Hossi View Post (Source)
    Honking the ADS does not currently work for WING-Missions, it does work for regular non-wing-missions though. I used it several times yesterday.
    Actually that's not true. I've only had it work with an ads honk for a non-wing mission once over the past week. I'm wondering if its only working when you use the ads while in the time frame the pirate is supposed to be there.

  10. #85
    Originally Posted by Stealthie View Post (Source)
    You can be a newb' at a particular aspect of the game but you should also have the self-awareness to realise that something became a train-wreck because you don't know what you're doing, and then ask for help about that thing, rather than just doing the same thing over and over or rage-quitting.
    I have 3300+ hours in the game now, and am still a newb' at many aspects of this game.

    If a person learns something from the 'mistake', then it's all good. My personal lesson was way back when I was still playing D&D (remember that one?). Came upon a door with some stairs leading down to who-knows-what. I promptly rolled my dice and commented that I was running down the stairs, drawing my sword. The DM rolled his dice, looked at me with this little grin on his face and told me that my torch just went out. Oh crap...

    I no longer 'run down the stairs'.

  11. #86
    Originally Posted by keem85 View Post (Source)
    I'll admit that I'm out of the loop on many things in Elite. Got myself a new battlestation at home and wanted to start Elite again.. I went for a Mother Gaia mission to eliminate a pirate in a system ROSS.. I went to the system ROSS and looked for this pirate for an hour, scanning every ships I could scan in supercruise, but I was not able to find him..... After a while I got bored, because a million payout check for a pirate that takes HOURS to find, is...... imbalanced? So anyways, I tried to interdict a few harmless NPC's, and I failed the interdiction every time. Don't know why they are so hard to interdict. Failed every time.. So I went to the NAV beacons to shoot down some wanted NPC's or someone with a bounty. Found an NPC with a bounty and I shot her down, and immediatly I got shot down too.. And I lost almost 5.000.000 (five million) credits in insurance cost on my Python.. I had played for THREE hours without being able to earn a single coin, but losing five million in an instant...

    This is happening everytime I try to start playing Elite again.. And to be honest, this is what's keeping me from playing Elite all together, because I'm afraid to lose all of my money... How the heck am I supposed to play this game and feel like I'm actually gaining something? I don't want to be doing trading all the time.. I don't have the funds to die all the time... I'm not able to do bounty missions... And if I'm lucky enough to do the bounty mission, there is a risk for me to lose all of my millions in an instant.. So please, if you have ANY good and helpful advice for me, please share... I really want to be start playing again....
    anybody who knows me will say I'm a complete noob. This however is impossible to happen even for an idiot like me. You clearly cannot fight (neither can i!) and you cannot escape (i can) . Please learn to play, even the best pvpers you can escape from, Nevermind npc's!

  12. #87
    Originally Posted by Max Factor View Post (Source)
    Your python makes a great armed trader. Any of the T ships are great traders. Most shipyards you will find a trade vessel.
    True except for one thing.

    777 claimed he makes 50 mil in 15 minutes and the implication was he does it regularly. Even with a T-9 setup with 750t of space and assuming 10,000 profit/ton and a loop between stations that's only 15 Mil per completed loop.

    I been playing ED for 4 years and I like to know where you can find any loop where you can average 35,000/ton profit moving 750t every 15 minutes.

    There's some pretty smart and lucky people playing ED - I'm not one of 'em. I'm tempted to call on 777's claim but won't if he'll explain it. Otherwise it's one of those - "It didnt' happen without pictures deals".

  13. #88
    A lot of the assassination missions, bounty hunting missions, and scan missions are a hassle because they are borked, or because of the new crime system. Hauling cargo or passengers till you die of boredom is far more effective as a money earner.

  14. #89
    Mainly by not getting my ship blown up and only going on killing sprees in anarchy systems.

  15. #90
    Hey OP. I'll wing up with you any time and help with any assassination mission. Danicus or Vanilla Sweet.

    They are fun once you get the hang of them.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast