Thread: Module reinforcement for explorers

Module reinforcement for explorers

MRPs are advertised as protecting against weapon damage, but can they also protect internal items - and I'm thinking specifically of the power plant - against the kind of damage you might get when exploring? For instance, getting a little too close to a star, accidentally dropping out of supercruise too soon, or landing heavily on a planet.

Can't hurt if you've got spare slots & don't mind the weight penalty. It might help solve the age-old exploration problems though: what to do with all the spare slots and the excessive jump range...

I am not sure, although you may want to review module benefit against jump range drop off as these items have weight.

Example Coriolis build of an Ananconda with a mod reinforcement in the restricted slot gives an un-engineered range of 27.02ly

https://coriolis.edcd.io/outfit/anac...0Reinforcement

Removing a module reinforcement package changes it to 27.56 so about 0.5ly impact - peanuts i say!

All spare slots as mod reinforcers makes the build go down to 26Ly range before engineering

https://coriolis.edcd.io/outfit/anac...orcement%20Max

Although maybe 2 of those slots could be a limpet controller and cargo bay and add a mining laser so you are pretty self sufficient out ion the black....

note teh above builds ae mnot perfect, no engineering done to them and you might not want fighter bays as well as SRvs... its more a comparison.

You could test by adding one to your build and then overheating whilst scooping a nearby star whilst in bubble and see if module reinforcement expires first before the other mods?

Realised I was probably teaching you to suck eggs, so deleted.

Thanks for the response guys. The reason for asking is that I've decided to use an Imperial Cutter for further exploration. Yes I know it's a curious choice but I fancy a change and I think I'd like to look cool this time around. (A Zen thought: is it possible to look cool when no one is watching?)

Anyway.........the major issue for me is not weight or jump range - which I don't see as a problem unless you're heading for the rim where stars are further apart - but the power plant, and FD's insistence that it must not be repairable. The rationale for this is that AFMUs need power and FD have never heard of batteries. But if I can't repair the thing then perhaps I can slow down it's deterioration due to the inevitable mistakes that'll be made in the weeks and months I'm out there. The thought arose because the Cutter has two military slots and, as I'm seriously considering not using shields either, that leaves hull reinforcement and module reinforcement for both slots.

P.S. Why take a mining laser on exploration? Materials for synthesis are acquired with an SRV. Am I missing something?

MRPs are supposed to protect modules against weapon damage that breaches the hull (when a weapon's armor piercing value is higher than the target's hull hardness). I don't know for sure, but I would expect non-weapon damage not to be affected.

If you're concerned about your power plant's integrity, I would suggest you engineer it with the armoured blueprint and/or the double braced experimental effect, it'll get a bit heavier but a greatly improved integrity and some other positive effects too, and an undersized A-rated powerplant for exploration shouldn't weigh much in the first place.

To answer your P.S: you can also get materials from mining. So some people would take mining lasers with them into the black on the off chance they would need a certain material and there are no landable planets but ringed gas giants in the system, or maybe their SRV(s) blew up.

Edit: And I totally understand your wish to go out there in a Cutter for the looks, on my last exploration trip I went to Sag A* in a Clipper.

Engineering is the answer and saves a slot...engineering does it better than anything ye put in a slot so its literally the only answer ye need.

That being said, Ive never once used an MRP when in the black because theres never been any need...even after 5 months in the black, my PP never went below 75% and that was an unengineered T9 so if that can hack it, so can just about anything else ^

MRPs don't do anything to protect modules from anything other than weapons.

I put one on my combat explorer, but I always prepare for the off chance that I'll have to fight a wing of CMDRs while 20k ly from home. If you don't do this, don't waste your mass budget on MRPs for your exploration vessel.

If you have a good shield you're unlikely to take collision damage, and a Cutter can carry a lot of heatsinks (as well as having plenty of spare power to run a low emissions power plant) so the chances of you taking enough damage from either source to end your trip is fairly low to start with.

Supercruise dropouts do absolute percentage damage so resistances - or high integrity modules - aren't any use there anyway.

Originally Posted by verminstar View Post (Source)
    Engineering is the answer and saves a slot...engineering does it better than anything ye put in a slot so its literally the only answer ye need.

That being said, Ive never once used an MRP when in the black because theres never been any need...even after 5 months in the black, my PP never went below 75% and that was an unengineered T9 so if that can hack it, so can just about anything else ^
    In what way does engineering save a slot?

If you have spare non-military slots then additional AFMUs can also help reduce damage to your power plant, because of the way the game applies damage if you hug a star etc. In effect the game rolls damage dice and spreads the resulting damage across your modules, ignoring empty slots and cargo racks. So the more modules you have, the less the power plant's share of the damage will be. And of course AFMUs have zero mass so won't reduce your jump range.

Originally Posted by Subadei View Post (Source)
    In what way does engineering save a slot?
    Whats the point in fitting an MRP when it doesnt actually do what the op wants it to do? Engineering the pp does what the op wants it to do...simples ^