Thread: Exploration Contents: SRV PLANETARY SCAN MODULE AND PLANETS CANDIDATES FOR INDUSTRIAL MINING

Exploration Contents: SRV PLANETARY SCAN MODULE AND PLANETS CANDIDATES FOR INDUSTRIAL MINING

TL;DR:
    To extend exploration at planet surface level I introduce this feature that requires to land on a planet, using a probe with expandable bits installed on the SRV to analyze the surface materials and the planet sub-layers and to identify Candidates for Industrial Mining. Earthquake activity is also included in this proposal. Other additional features like Geyser Spray Ride and Lava Rocks Sampling could be added if supported by additional development. The rewards for these additional activities should motivate the explorers to land and to spend some time on the planet surface.

REASONS FOR ADDING THIS FEATURE:
    This new type of scans will add some activity to do during the exploration of new discovered landable planets and it will increase the exploration data values to provide more motivations to the explorers to land and to spend some time on the planets surface rather than just pointing a scanner from the distance and wait for some loading time.

LORE:
    The exploration data may have a big value if they can provide support to the economy and to the private companies business. If a rocky/icy planet results in a “Candidate for Industrial Mining”, a company may decide to build a facility there to extract the materials.
    This is just background information; it would not affect the BGS.

GAMEPLAY:
    The new Probes presented during the Lavecon 2018 will provide the location of POI that should be recorded and visible also on the planetary surface map.

A new more detailed sensor is installed on the SRV. Its function is to provide the most accurate planet data: planet core material, earthquake/volcanic activity, sub-layers thickness and so on, but most important it will tell if the planet is a candidate for industrial mining.

You land on the planet at one of the POI's discovered by the ship probes and you deploy the SRV. You need to find the correct spot on the surface to perform the scan (it should be generated in a radius of 1-2 km from the landing area). The spot is identified on the SRV scanner with a specific sound and frequency. Follow the signal, the area is highlighted on the radar when in range (like finding outpost or crash sites; no change to the current mechanics).

Once inside the scan perimeter, you can scan the ground: press and hold the button defined on the fire group, honk style. During the scan the SRV deploys a driller bit into the ground and digs lifting some dust/ice (visual fx). Once the scan is complete all information about the planet are gathered. If the planet is candidate for mining a message on the HUD will appear.

The scanner will also find out if the planet has got a strong earthquake activity, in positive case a message in the information panel will be displayed. Just keep on pressing the fire button and a magnetic impulse to provoke a seism will be generated into the ground through the bit.

If the earthquake is generated you experience it (shaking and trembles of random intensity) and the probe would get additional data that could generate a bonus on the scan data values. Odds to generate an earthquake should be 60% of success, which means that if a first attempt fails, a second will most likely succeeds.

If no earthquake is generated you need to wait 30 seconds to cool down the magnetic generator and you can try again.

Click here to see a draft representation of the system: https://imgur.com/hWC7rqR

If you are very lucky you could also observe an earthquake without provoking it while cruising on the planet with the SRV. In this case you just need to stop the SRV wherever you are and deploy the probe into the ground (this would happen randomly once every half an hour).

The bit is expandable and it allows 20 ground scans (20 "life points"). The magnetic impulse will also contribute to deteriorate the bit by removing additional 2 "life points" at each impulse. When the quake is naturally observed only 1 "life point" is removed beacuse the magnetic generator is not used.
    The bit is automatically discarded at the end of its life.
    The bits can be replenished as ammunition at starports and they are stored directly inside the SRV scan module (they won't use cargo space). A maximum of 2 bits can be stored. They can also be synthesized using common materials (5 iron and 5 nickel for example).

----------------

ADDITIONAL FEATURES (NICE TO HAVE):

Ice Geyser Ride: ride a geyser spray would automatically collect additional data like pressure/temperature and materials composition of the sub-layers. This would not consume the probe bit. It will provide data only once per planet

Volcanic Activity, Magma Rocks Sampling: ride the SRV next to a magma puddle/river to collect with the cargo scoop (or maybe with a new mech arm installed in place of the gun) a magma rock. The risk here is to generate critical heat levels in the SRV. This would not consume the probe bit. Once the rock is in the cargo rack it is automatically analyzed. When analysis is complete it can be discarded. It will provide data only once per planet

For the last two features a bigger bonus should be applied because you risk the SRV hull integrity.

-------------

DATA VALUE

Concerning the total reward we have to consider three factors:

- the time it requires to land on a planet, run forth and back with the SRV and take-off again, plus the time to go to another planet to repeat.
    - the time to collect materials to synthesize the bits.
    - the odds to find some bonus on top of the basic scan (candidates for mining, earthquakes, geyser/magma rocks)

The data value of a body with no rare/precious materials, analyzed with the SRV probe and no other bonus should be 200k credits for a moon and 300k credits for a planet.

A body with rare/precious materials analyzed with the SRV probe should be 350k credits for a moon and 500k for a planet.

Additional data value for earthquake: 300k credits (only once per planet)

Additional data value for geyser/magma rock sampling: 400k credits (only once per planet)

When the planet is Candidate for Industrial Mining the overall planet data value is multiplied by 2.

Doing the math:

• simple moon with no bonus features: 200k cr.
    • a typical rocky/icy moon with earthquakes provides 200k + 300k = 500k cr.
    • a planet candidate for mining with rare material but no other feature : 500k x2 = 1 million cr.
    • hit the mother lode: a planet with rare materials, candidate for mining with earthquakes and magma rocks or geyser (500k+300k+400k) x2 = 2.4 million cr. This should have the same odds of an Earth Like World.

EDIT:
    Exploration Ranks Bonus Removed

These values looks much higher compared to what we have now in exploration, but please consider that the hourly income would still be much lower than what we can get with basic cargo and passengers missions in the bubble without any additional risk.

Thanks for reading this far!

Originally Posted by SenseiMatty View Post (Source)
    TL;DR:
    Ice Geyser Ride: ride a geyser spray would automatically collect additional data like pressure/temperature and materials composition of the sub-layers. This would not consume the probe bit. It will provide data only once per planet[/B]
    I like this idea a lot! It won't let me rep ya again already, but I'm all for ideas that give more of a reason to drive around planets.

On top I suggest that also the exploration ranks should provide an additional multiplier to all exploration data so that the ranks can actually have an impact on the game:

Aimless: 1.0x
    Mostly Aimless: 1.0x
    Scout: 1.1x
    Surveyor: 1.1x
    Trailblazer: 1.2x
    Pathfinder: 1.2x
    Ranger: 1.3x
    Pioneer: 1.4x
    Elite: 1.5x
    You don't get higher bounties when you're Elite in Combat.
    You don't get higher margins when you're Elite in Trading.
    Why should you get more money when you're Elite in Exploration?

If anything, it should be the other way around - so that you get LESS money for exploration at higher ranks, to increase the difficulty level.

Originally Posted by DrewCarnegie View Post (Source)

If anything, it should be the other way around - so that you get LESS money for exploration at higher ranks, to increase the difficulty level.
    Getting paid less money isn't making it "more challenging", it just makes something annoying and unsatisfying.

BUT, I don't necessarily think pay should change like that, and I like how currently someone can go out in a Sidewinder and make a bunch from exploration.

BUT, I don't necessarily think pay should change like that, and I like how currently someone can go out in a Sidewinder and make a bunch from exploration.
    I get your point guys. Well this last part is not really necessary and it is independent from the feature that I describe so it can be skipped.

Also all numbers that I indicate in my proposal are just reference that should be balanced in my opinion but that can be completely reworked in case I'm wrong. What is important for me is the basic concept.

I get your point guys. Well this last part is not really necessary and it is independent from the feature that I describe so it can be skipped.

Also all numbers that I indicate in my proposal are just reference that should be balanced in my opinion but that can be completely reworked in case I'm wrong. What is important for me is the basic concept.
    I disagree with the basic concept:
    Changes to exploration should be focused on making it more interesting and rewarding, rather than simply making it pay better.
    Doing something tedious just because it pays well is the very definition of 'grind'.

So I'm much more supportive of your planetary mining suggestion - since you've avoided any form of passive earning mechanism

Holy Space-Christ! Very nice breakdown SenseiMatty!

I'm going to sound like a broken record, but remember to repost this when the Focused Feedback for Exploration happens.

Otherwise I agree that the payout should remain static. Maybe have more complicated exploration missions unlock for higher ranks?

Originally Posted by Jubei Himura View Post (Source)
    Holy Space-Christ! Very nice breakdown SenseiMatty!

I'm going to sound like a broken record, but remember to repost this when the Focused Feedback for Exploration happens.

Otherwise I agree that the payout should remain static. Maybe have more complicated exploration missions unlock for higher ranks?
    It looks like we're not gonna have an exploration FF so I bring it UP! now anyway.