Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: David Braben of Frontier @ E3: "No Mods" (PCGamer)

David Braben of Frontier @ E3: "No Mods" (PCGamer)

Saw this and though people in the JWE forum might like to see it as I can't see it linked here:

"Frontier elaborates on why Jurassic World Evolution doesn't have mod support"

http://www.pcgamer.com/frontier-unde...res-a-balance/

thx.

Good i hate mods.

1) Mod support doesn’t really make it harder to update and support the game, that’s a copout reason… When you update a game, its up to the modders to upkeep their mods

2) their reasoning about they can’t update the game because it would trash the mods is a weak argument… Every game out there that has plenty of mods have updates and the developers really don’t care if it breaks the mods

Even without mod support, players are going to MOD the game… The anti-tamper part of the game only protects the executable file… Even the devs of said so themselves when someone asked them on the steam forums about modding the game anyway. The data files of the game can be completely changed if somebody knows what they’re doing..and people are already doing it

Don’t get me wrong, I don’t think a game has to have mod support, But at least give more believable answers than in that article

I’ve been coding video game since 1986… I can tell when someone is giving a weak answer

Originally Posted by Ciro View Post (Source)
    Good i hate mods.
    Why would you even spend emotional energy on that? Something that you can completely ignore without any ill effect on your game? They're player made, free, and completely separate from the experience...

Originally Posted by NY09 View Post (Source)
    Saw this and though people in the JWE forum might like to see it as I can't see it linked here:

"Frontier elaborates on why Jurassic World Evolution doesn't have mod support"

http://www.pcgamer.com/frontier-unde...res-a-balance/

thx.
    I mean, I suppose I can see it their way, it is annoying to have mods broken by new patches. I suppose I don't really care enough to go either way, but generally I do prefer things being done by the developer. I know for Elite it can be a bit annoying messing with all the 3rd party stuff all the time, but it's simply difficult to not use them since they are generally very good and bring a lot of QoL to the game. Sometimes mods are good enough for me to want to check out, but I don't feel I'll really be missing out on them for JWE.

Mods are not the responsibility of the developer, and all users know that any mod that may break is their own risk. Developers should never have to worry about breaking them and should update as normal. The mod makers can then choose to update the mod to work with the new version, not the other way around. This is a non issue and they know this, having worked with mods before. It is an odd thing to say.

More likely, there is a licensing problem with Universal not wanting the name to be associated with whatever the public wants to use it for, and to keep control of it themselves. If it is that, I don't know why they don't just say that.

Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom hits cinemas next week, June 22. Braben says JWE will receive its first major update after that.
    Also in the article, although a few new dinosaurs will come, I'm also eager to know if within this "major" also new features will be added

Originally Posted by Ciro View Post (Source)
    Good i hate mods.
    We do speak very highly of you though!

You can still mod it on pc its just not official . buh huh universal you mad ?

Originally Posted by tallbearnc View Post (Source)
    1) Mod support doesn’t really make it harder to update and support the game, that’s a copout reason… When you update a game, its up to the modders to upkeep their mods

2) their reasoning about they can’t update the game because it would trash the mods is a weak argument… Every game out there that has plenty of mods have updates and the developers really don’t care if it breaks the mods

Even without mod support, players are going to MOD the game… The anti-tamper part of the game only protects the executable file… Even the devs of said so themselves when someone asked them on the steam forums about modding the game anyway. The data files of the game can be completely changed if somebody knows what they’re doing..and people are already doing it

Don’t get me wrong, I don’t think a game has to have mod support, But at least give more believable answers than in that article

I’ve been coding video game since 1986… I can tell when someone is giving a weak answer
    So basically Frontier is saying they don't want to mess up the mods and upset the fans of the game and you see this as something negative? Just look at what happened to the GTA games, especially GTA 4. Rockstar did an update for the game just last year after nearly a decade of it being an unoptimized mess they came along and fixed. It basically destroyed a bunch of mods. For a game that old that people won't be updating mods for. The game got negative reviews dumped on it on Steam.

I don't blame Frontier and I don't see it as a copout. It makes total sense if you see what goes on. Maybe when they are done with the game they will allow mods. But I suspect they don't cause they are using Universals intellectual property. People keep talking about Planet Coaster but that game doesn't use the intellectual property of another company.

Originally Posted by PCMR4Life View Post (Source)
    So basically Frontier is saying they don't want to mess up the mods and upset the fans of the game and you see this as something negative? Just look at what happened to the GTA games, especially GTA 4. Rockstar did an update for the game just last year after nearly a decade of it being an unoptimized mess they came along and fixed. It basically destroyed a bunch of mods. For a game that old that people won't be updating mods for. The game got negative reviews dumped on it on Steam.

I don't blame Frontier and I don't see it as a copout. It makes total sense if you see what goes on. Maybe when they are done with the game they will allow mods. But I suspect they don't cause they are using Universals intellectual property. People keep talking about Planet Coaster but that game doesn't use the intellectual property of another company.
    You have absolutely no clue its not their decision its only Universal. Thats why you cant kill them either because they wont allow it. Frontier has to say pretty much nothing they only fullfill the contract they have zero freedom as you can see in the shallowness. (PC proves they could do much better) You could make in PC a better JW then in this JW Games. Sad isnt it.

As a PC player I don't really care for mods a whole lot. From my experience most of them are garbage and don't work. I manage to get very few of them working right. I know that's odd coming from someone who plays games on a PC but that's just the way it is for me. It's not that I don't use mods. I have installed plenty of mod, that's how I know a lot of them don't work. Generally if I install a mod for a game I do it to fix the game. Not really to add a bunch of crazy stuff like a Bat Mobile and the Hulk. I know a lot of people like mods, but I don't care for them myself. I gave up trying to get the graphics enhancer for GTA 4 to work.

I would rather pay Frontier a little bit of money and get working content that looks professional than some garbage from an amateur, something that someone made for fun. I don't care if people use mods, I just don't use them a lot myself.

Originally Posted by paleostudent View Post (Source)
    You can still mod it on pc its just not official . buh huh universal you mad ?
    The mods will probably get slapped with DMCA complaints.

The mods will probably get slapped with DMCA complaints.
    I make them on my Pc i will do whatever i want. How should it affect me explain? juts as an example. Just becauser you dont like mods and cant even run them as you said, you should get a console. Official Mods would SAVE THIS GAME FROM THE DEAD because it will be dead after a month i guarantee.When the hype train rool sof the kids even they will realize how boring it is . (The best graphics in the world cant help without gameplay)

As a PC player I don't really care for mods a whole lot. From my experience most of them are garbage and don't work. I manage to get very few of them working right. I know that's odd coming from someone who plays games on a PC but that's just the way it is for me. It's not that I don't use mods. I have installed plenty of mod, that's how I know a lot of them don't work. Generally if I install a mod for a game I do it to fix the game. Not really to add a bunch of crazy stuff like a Bat Mobile and the Hulk. I know a lot of people like mods, but I don't care for them myself. I gave up trying to get the graphics enhancer for GTA 4 to work.

I would rather pay Frontier a little bit of money and get working content that looks professional than some garbage from an amateur, something that someone made for fun. I don't care if people use mods, I just don't use them a lot myself.
    WOW amateurs i guarantee to you that a lot of modders are far more talented then the actual devs of their own games. how ignorant. every game with mods proved this dozen of times. Not to mention the extra content fore free.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast