Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Elite Dangerous 2 - PC Games N article.

For what its worth, I dont think ED 2 would be called ED2. Possibly Elite: Deadly

Originally Posted by Falcon_D View Post (Source)
    For what it’s worth, I don’t think ED 2 would be called ED2. Possibly Elite: Deadly
    "Elite: Dead", or "Elite: Dead on Arrival" is more like it.

They still haven't fulfilled their original promises to the backers of this game nor the LEP's who believed in what they advertised and sold, let alone all the other players who've purchased this game and DLC since release.

Originally Posted by Sylveria View Post (Source)

They still haven't fulfilled their original promises to the backers of this game nor the LEP's who believed in what they advertised and sold, let alone all the other players who've purchased this game and DLC since release.
    Well. I dont know about the backers or those who got the LEPs or other players.

But they promised me that I could fly a spaceship and do something with it (other than practice landing and course plotting) and they fulfilled that promise to me.

P.S.: I got this game as a place holder while waiting for SC about 4yrs ago and I pretty much play it every day. And its the only game on my PC ATM.

Originally Posted by JesusRocks1988 View Post (Source)
    Article says a whole lot of nothing IMHO
    that is correct.

Well. I don’t know about the backers or those who got the LEPs or other players.

But they promised me that I could fly a spaceship and do something with it (other than practice landing and course plotting) and they fulfilled that promise to me.

P.S.: I got this game as a place holder while waiting for SC about 4yrs ago and I pretty much play it every day. And it’s the only game on my PC ATM.
    Except that simplicity in describing what was promised will be the eventual downfall.

You see, burying one's head in the sand isn't going to stop the avalanche. It's only the beginning.

Waking up to reality is quite painful. Once others have realized that all Frontier has to offer is just one giant "arena" and not much else they'll move on to something better. But that's what you wanted, right? Your own giant universe all to yourself? Maybe a few "friends", too?

It's very rare a follow up product is offered to the market which considers the existing one broken or incomplete.

And that's just in terms of content, not the approach behind the borking. I'd consider it curious, if anyone would pledge to buy a further incarnation of Elite under current conditions. They'd at least have to get in some design talent.

That said, there's no reason at all...the current game can not be developed in perpetuity. No need for a follow up.

I'm excited to discover just how good FD actually are as a development house. Whether they continue with this game, with a view on getting it right...or simply bin it as a right off and turn into a proper Chop Shop.

A sequel to Elite Dangerous" would called something different such as Elite: Deadly. Because every Elite sequel has its own name and "Elite Dangerous 2" is too long and confusing with all the expansions.

For what it’s worth, I don’t think ED 2 would be called ED2. Possibly Elite: Deadly
    Seconded.

Originally Posted by Cosmo View Post (Source)
    A sequel to Elite Dangerous" would called something different such as Elite: Deadly.
    No reason why "Elite: Deadly" and ultimately "Elite: Forever" can't be the outcome of the seasonal development. As objectives are implemented, the game gets re-designated to show the development progress.

That way, all existing KS and LEP backing applies, and those choosing to purchase premium packages can see exactly where things are on the roadmap.

Originally Posted by Genus View Post (Source)
    No reason why "Elite: Deadly" and ultimately "Elite: Forever" can't be the outcome of the seasonal development. As objectives are implemented, the game gets re-designated to show the development progress.

That way, all existing KS and LEP backing applies, and those choosing to purchase premium packages can see exactly where things are on the roadmap.
    The final version of Elite Dangerous is when it goes into maintenance mode and doesn't receive big updates or expansions anymore. They'll likely sell it as Elite Dangerous: Deluxe or Elite Dangerous: Ultimate. "Elite: Deadly" sounds like a new, standalone installment in the Elite series and could be 6 years (or more) from now.

The only original promises they've left to fulfill are mentioned in the Roadmap.

- Landing / driving / prospecting on asteroids
    - Walking around interiors and combative boarding of other ships
    - Combat and other interactions with other players and AIs in the internal areas of star ports
    - Accessing richly detailed planetary surfaces - (airless worlds could also be richly detailed)
    - Availability of giant ‘executive control’ ships to players

Frontier never promised Earth-like atmospheric worlds. We do anticipate it though.

Originally Posted by Jack Schitt View Post (Source)
    IMO the only reason for an ED 2 in the short- to mid-term future would be if ED's code is so self-limiting as to be unable to support all the wished-for features. It would be a ground-up rebuild of the game we currently have, but with a network architecture and framework better able to cope with new and changing gameplay mechanics for the medium- to long-term. If such a game was created then as a completionist I would almost certainly buy it, but if it was crowdfunded I'd put in no more than was necessary to secure an early copy. No limited edition sets or in-game naming or lifetime expansion packs. Once bitten...
    If you check out the suggestions forum, you'll literally see brilliant suggestions like "sorting lists", or suggesting a VR keyboard, which apparently is a breeze in other games but for ED, it may take years. The audacity of hope. To me, that suggests maybe the old engine may be a little self-limiting.
    This presents 2 options for easier future development. Those are either making a new game "Elite : Supreme" or rebooting the whole galaxy into an upgraded/new engine. I remember someone answering a question someone asked by stating "that'd require rebooting the galaxy", probably meaning everyone would lose their saves and having to start from scratch.
    I'd be fine with them having to reboot the whole thing and would prefer that to needing a new game.

Originally Posted by Cosmo View Post (Source)
    The final version of Elite Dangerous is when it goes into maintenance mode and doesn't receive big updates or expansions anymore. They'll likely sell it as Elite Dangerous: Deluxe or Elite Dangerous: Ultimate. "Elite: Deadly" sounds like a new, standalone installment in the Elite series and could be 6 years (or more) from now.
    Yeah. Will be a shame.

I even believe that the name has been registered copyright to protect the intellectual property

But we do not know who had registered this name on the document

Is this Frontier or any other person who anticipates the future ? ...

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345