Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Should "firsts" not be worth more than they are?

My view is that if we have space in the database for first discovered tags we have space for a counter..
    First discoveries should get a really significant bonus and that nice first discovered by tag.
    Subsequent reported scans increment the counter and get reduced rewards down to some minimum.
    Once rewards hit a minimum level on all (or some?) of the bodies in a system data on that system becomes available to purchase (though you can still scan for a low(er?) reward if you want).

This increases incentives to report first, rewards long range explorers to distant areas of the galaxy even if they cross paths with another explorer and mitigates against pre-arranged tracks for making money from exploration without really exploring - the route will dry up quickly and become pretty worthless.
    This actually acts like a bit of an exploration gold rush mechanic. If the first few (whatever that means) scans get really good rewards then rumour of a new earth like or so on would be a thing pilots might want to rush to...

Originally Posted by Watcher View Post (Source)
    My view is that if we have space in the database for first discovered tags we have space for a counter..
    First discoveries should get a really significant bonus and that nice first discovered by tag.
    Subsequent reported scans increment the counter and get reduced rewards down to some minimum.
    Once rewards hit a minimum level on all (or some?) of the bodies in a system data on that system becomes available to purchase (though you can still scan for a low(er?) reward if you want).

This increases incentives to report first, rewards long range explorers too distant areas of the galaxy even if they cross paths with another explorer and mitigates against pre-arranged tracks for making money for exploration - the route will dry up quickly and become pretty worthless.
    This actually acts like a bit of an exploration gold rush mechanic. If the first few (whatever that means) scans get really good rewards then rumour of a new earth like or so on would be a thing pilots might want to rush too...
    Thats my thoughts exactly the road to riches needs a NURF

I my self last docked at a asteroid station around the 9th november for the most part i have traveled through unexplored space charting BH/NS/HerBig/Wolf class stars

Originally Posted by c00ky1970 View Post (Source)
    This is from 2.3 analysis and assumes high exploration rank (as that factors into payout)
    Helpful post, except exploration rank does not come into play wrt payouts. The same regardless of rank.

Originally Posted by Schmack View Post (Source)
    Still, exploration payouts have been basically (I think) at starter levels since inception while the economy in the bubble has seen huge increases in payouts. I could run one mission in the bubble in just a few minutes and make more than the exploration I could pick up on a trip to Colonia. It's really lopsided.
    Overall I agree that first discoveries should be more with succesive scanners less so. Disagree that exploration payouts are at the starter level. They were significantly increased with 2.3. You can certainly earn more in the bubble, but my last multi-week journey netted about 5-6M an hour. 250+ hours for 1.45B. You just have to learn how to do it. Plus, and for some like me a big plus, my CDRs name is on a few thousand bodies out there.

Originally Posted by LP Garnell View Post (Source)
    You can certainly earn more in the bubble, but my last multi-week journey netted about 5-6M an hour. 250+ hours for 1.45B. You just have to learn how to do it. Plus, and for some like me a big plus, my CDRs name is on a few thousand bodies out there.
    I can see then that I need to be more selective. Ignore landable planets, ignore anything that isn't blue-ish, only scan distant stars if in range. It doesn't sit right with my personality though �� .. leaving all those planets undiscovered simply because the game says exploration rank is really linked to monetary value. I'm doing it for the rank rather than to get name on a body no-one will likely see, so it's a shame in my mind that true pioneering spirit makes less than bubble rescans.

Originally Posted by LP Garnell View Post (Source)
    Overall I agree that first discoveries should be more with succesive scanners less so. Disagree that exploration payouts are at the starter level. They were significantly increased with 2.3. You can certainly earn more in the bubble, but my last multi-week journey netted about 5-6M an hour. 250+ hours for 1.45B. You just have to learn how to do it. Plus, and for some like me a big plus, my CDRs name is on a few thousand bodies out there.
    Is there actually an efficient way to figure out on which systems I have been first? This week I am just coming back from a 3 years hiatus (left before engineers, surface landings, Thargoids, ...), and did quite some exploring back then. New PC, so no old logs available either...

Originally Posted by Shiro Akai View Post (Source)
    On the contrary.

First scan should be just a bonus for being first there. It's not a great feat to visit some place for the first time.
    yeah it’s not as if the great explorers of our world were ever showered with wealth and gifts when they returned home they just did so they got a T shirt saying ‘Columbus was ere’ (note that’s a crap T shirt as history is proving Columbus wasn’t the first to find anything).

Originally Posted by Shiro Akai View Post (Source)
    On the contrary.

First scan should be just a bonus for being first there. It's not a great feat to visit some place for the first time.

Rescans, OTOH, should pay more due to containing more valuable data.

Finding new Pharaoh tomb would make you famous explorer. But expeditions to uncover treasures bring more data about that discovery.

Pong. Your turn.
    I'm with you on the bonus, but rescans? Try selling a map of Houston to Rand McNally sometime. See how much they offer you. Hopefully having an in game codex in season 4 will add some more rewards and recognition for discoveries.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12