Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is this real, or is it just fake cake?

Title of this thread = obvious Portal meme bait. Must... resist...

So where do I go to witness this for myself? Someone mentioned a high-level USS distress call (I've only ever seen level 2 myself). Someone else mentioned a very unique combat zone situation. Anybody have some tips on exactly how to hunt down one of these battles? Are battles like these even taking place these days, now that the Federation and Empire are "allies" in the Thargoid war?

And Frontier, when are we going to get the equivalent of a Thargoid vs. capital ship battle, or better yet, Thargoid vs. station or megaship battle? All I ever see is the aftermath.

Originally Posted by Old Duck View Post (Source)
    I've been playing Elite Dangerous for almost a year, and I've never seen anything close to this:

I've encountered plenty of capital ships just sitting around in space or being fixed up in dry dock, and I even seen one appear in a combat zone, but nothing like what's portrayed in this video. Do battles like this actually take place in the game and I've just not encountered them yet, or is the cake a lie?

Considering the other dev diaries I've watched, I'm feeling pessimistic about the answer..
    you can find them sometimes in combat zones, and there is a distress call that also has a couple fighting (one belonging to a pirate faction).. but that video is fake from the start to the end.. Capital ships can't be destroyed, just 'dispatched' when you destroy all the heat vents, and the combat between them is just a laser fest full of explosions not because of missiles, but because of fighters dying around them.

The moment they appear and the music/sound is amazing tho.. As limonzello said, the sidewinders wing is just a joke

I wish they have gone back and revisit capital ship action. While currently it is exciting to be in combat when one appears, wish there would be more interactivity. But that might be just sitting in todo list and wait for engine tech to catch on before doing so.

Originally Posted by Limoncello Lizard View Post (Source)
    The fakest thing in the vid, is that they turn up to a CZ in a wing of sidewinders, and the opposition don't crack up laughing.

More fake than us picking a side even though (a) there is no all out war OR (b) we are high ranks in both factions?

Originally Posted by Flimley View Post (Source)
    There is nothing more awesome than watching a capital ship appear overhead. I once witnessed this twice in one day !
    Did you check YouTube for the answer you require ?

Flimley
    This is the coolest video of ED, ever.

I would love to see this in real game, but I guess we are Mms away from this

Originally Posted by Old Duck View Post (Source)
    So where do I go to witness this for myself? Someone mentioned a high-level USS distress call (I've only ever seen level 2 myself). Someone else mentioned a very unique combat zone situation. Anybody have some tips on exactly how to hunt down one of these battles? Are battles like these even taking place these days, now that the Federation and Empire are "allies" in the Thargoid war?

And Frontier, when are we going to get the equivalent of a Thargoid vs. capital ship battle, or better yet, Thargoid vs. station or megaship battle? All I ever see is the aftermath.
    All the Threat 4 Distress Calls in Federation space used to be FNS battlecruiser under attack by a stolen pirate-flagged FNS battlecruiser. Probably saw dozens of these. Not sure if they changed anything since 3.0 though.

Imperial vs. Fed capship fights have a fair chance of being at conflict zones in border systems where Fed and Imperial factions are at war.

Originally Posted by ilo View Post (Source)
    As limonzello said, the sidewinders wing is just a joke
    Honestly, even the Farraguts are no match for three Sidewinders (or just one with some Engineering) with CMDRs in control of them.

Originally Posted by h347h View Post (Source)
    Capital ship combat is pretty sweet. Sadly it is pretty rare.
    its awesome, but when you start to shoot and it steals all your kills, its somewhat of a buzzkill.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12