Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: After 560 hours my combat piloting is still sloppy and crude. Please advise.

Ok, my Vanilla Vulture is all done with .05 volts to spare when deployed. All core internals are A class except Life Support, 5C Bi weave shield. Going back and forth between Pulse and Multi-Cannons, but am finding a 1+1 split is working best for me. I just noticed that Coriolis shows power consumption and that some of your builds exceed threshold (eg. adding chaff). Is this a non issue? I just assumed it would lead to lower shield and weapon regeneration or some other adverse affect. Someone suggested having only one chaff launcher powered at a time which is clever.

In terms of piloting I'm happy to say I saw some modest improvements today. More attention to forward and reverse throttling is upping my game and I'm finding I'm fighting at closer ranges. I think I was wasting a lot of weapon power at the 1k-2k range. Paying attention to distance is also keeping me more attuned to where the enemy is facing relative to me. The hologram enemy target display never really clicked with my brain because whenever I moved it looked like the enemy had also moved. Much easier if I'm close enough to just visually keep track of them and where they are pointed. I've also been trying going into reverse briefly when doing the 180 flip rather that just riding out the ships natural full pitch and downthrust curve in the blue zone. The turn feels faster and giving up the inertia doesn't really seem to matter as too much speed was just locking me into the joust and flip game that I'm trying to escape. Better to flip faster and boost towards the enemies backside as they are starting to turn than complete a slower turn and see they are already bearing down on me. Playing with 3 and full pips to engine does seem to keep me safer than worrying about shields. Even with less or even zero pips my shields are going down less because I'm getting shot less.

I put MRP's in my empty slots. I didn't put them in because I put much faith in them, but because I notice the minimum mass for 5A thrusters was 420T so I added them in to 'make weight' (I'm at 422). Is there even an agility penalty for being under the minimum? I know Shields go off of base mass, and handling decreases as you approach optimum mass as well as shortening your FSD distance, but the the minimum mass thing confuses me. But I got rocked down to 45% hull without taking component damage or cracking my canopy so maybe the MRP's aren't just ballast. I might have just been unlucky before.

Let's talk about power management without engineering the Vulture.

You can easily drop total power consumption by just replacing one Pulse Laser with a Multicannon.

It will also work better on enemy hulls. And using just one laser on their shields will allow your capacitor to stay charged longer. You also get practice switching between weapons in a fight. I leave the gimbals on the MC, and put a fixed Pulse on so that there's something to use instantly if they chaff.

The ship needs either a Biweave or a class A shield for combat, and class A thrusters for best handling, don't skimp on those.
    Let's assume you A rate the FSD so it can travel. Some people swap out the FSD within the system where they are going to fight, and put in a lightweight undersized one just for supercruising. That's risky if you end up getting a bounty and have to jump out.

So OK, what do you absolutely have to use in a fight?
    - Thrusters, obviously.
    - Shields, and Shield Boosters/chaff.
    - Guns.
    - Sensors and Life Support.
    Set all those to Priority ONE.

What things do you maybe need?
    - KWS if fitted.
    Set to Priority TWO.

What things do you need turned OFF?
    - FSD
    - Cargo Hatch
    Set those to Priority THREE. And just switch off the hatch in your module settings if you like.

OK, try the ship in the hangar, and deploy the weapons to see if everything you need is running, and everything you want off is off.
    You cannot go to supercruise to escape with guns deployed anyway. So setting FSD to shut off is logical, IMHO, when guns come out.

_________________________________________________________________________________

OK, let's look at module survival under fire. This happens mostly when shields drop, but it's possible to get this effect with them up if your enemy is engineered.

Modules only get hit when your hull is breached. Breaches increase as your hull gets damaged.
    First line of defense is to use a stronger hull. You have reinforced, Military grade, and Reactive Armor to select from.

The other way to harden the hull is HRP's, but in this case, the Vulture has limited space. SO I'd do the next thing:

Prepare for a hull breach-
    There's 2 things you can do: use class B modules for more survivability ( little effect) and install MRP's.

MRP's inhibit module damage by multiplying it by a factor like "0.8" to block 20% incoming damage. The exact numbers are not as important as this mechanic. Putting in 2 or 3 MRP's will bring your module damage to virtually zero. As the damage is applied to the MRP's first, you really want one big one up front, and then a few smaller ones after.

Vultures have this module slot layout:
    5-4-2-1.
    Stack low mass MRP's in the 2 and 1 slots as they will ameliorate the damage at the lowest end. And put at least one in the 5 slot to soak up MRP pain.

Those changes should give your ship much more survivability.

Originally Posted by thraymacus View Post (Source)
    I put MRP's in my empty slots. I didn't put them in because I put much faith in them, but because I notice the minimum mass for 5A thrusters was 420T so I added them in to 'make weight' (I'm at 422). Is there even an agility penalty for being under the minimum? I know Shields go off of base mass, and handling decreases as you approach optimum mass as well as shortening your FSD distance, but the the minimum mass thing confuses me. But I got rocked down to 45% hull without taking component damage or cracking my canopy so maybe the MRP's aren't just ballast. I might have just been unlucky before.
    The agility penalty is, I believe, calculated on the thruster optimal mass - down to 50% of the optimal mass, your ship gains turn rate and speed. Below 50% confers no advantages. Going over the optimal mass confers turn rate penalties.

I just noticed that Coriolis shows power consumption and that some of your builds exceed threshold (eg. adding chaff). Is this a non issue? I just assumed it would lead to lower shield and weapon regeneration or some other adverse affect.
    If a module isn't powered, it doesn't function. There is no partial power.

Not all modules need to be powered at all times, however and this is where power priorities come in.

Is there even an agility penalty for being under the minimum? I know Shields go off of base mass, and handling decreases as you approach optimum mass as well as shortening your FSD distance, but the the minimum mass thing confuses me.
    Minimum mass for thrusters is simply the point at which reducing mass further no longer helps. There is no penalty for being below it, you just have free mass budget to add stuff without reducing the performance of the ship.

Originally Posted by the100thmonkey View Post (Source)
    The agility penalty is, I believe, calculated on the thruster optimal mass - down to 50% of the optimal mass, your ship gains turn rate and speed. Below 50% confers no advantages. Going over the optimal mass confers turn rate penalties.
    Anything above minimum mass reduces thruster performance, both in transalation acceleration and top speed, as well as rotationals.

Optimal mass is a misnomer as the real optimal mass is minimum mass or less.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12