Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Good released sci fi games?

Originally Posted by JonnyC0mbat View Post (Source)
    That would be the bees knees.
    DCS: Star Wars

EDIT: Oh dear, can you imagine the Star Wars mark up on each ship pack from DCS.

Tie Fighter: 100 USD
    Millenium Falcon: 500 USD

DCS Star Wars would compete with Star Citizen ship prices with Disney licencing markups.

Originally Posted by Snarfbuckle View Post (Source)
    DCS: Star Wars

EDIT: Oh dear, can you imagine the Star Wars mark up on each ship pack from DCS.

Tie Fighter: 100 USD
    Millenium Falcon: 500 USD

DCS Star Wars would compete with Star Citizen ship prices with Disney licencing markups.
    I wouldn’t put it past them.

I wouldn’t put it past them.
    I have been thinking of getting DCS and sure, the game itself is free but if I want a few airplanes it get expensive FAST.

Originally Posted by Darkfyre99 View Post (Source)
    Most recently? For me it's Subnautica all the way. It has it all: exploration, resource gathering, base building, and a great story that you solve along the way. It's what exploration in Elite should be. It will also be a fantastic VR game once it fully supports the use of Vive Wands or Oculus Touch as controllers.
    Picked this up a while back, for VR, but I'm waiting for motion controller support. Looks like a neat game tho - did you play in VR as it is, now?

Just sitting here waiting for a Tie Fighter remaster.....

A man can dream.
    Or a new Wing Commander.

We thought Elite Dangerous, No Man's Sky and Star Citizen meant a rebirth of the space shooter but all we got is these overly ambitious projects that totally missed the mark.

All I wanted was game that plays just like WWII combat sims. You have a campaign where you fly in squadrons with AI. You have a multiplayer where you join a server where humans take sides and fight for objectives.

That's all I wanted. I didn't want billions of stars and second life and second job where I grind away to buy virtual ships.

I would support a kickstarter for a real space combat sim with no MMO/RPG nonsense.

Originally Posted by BlackSpaceCowboy View Post (Source)
    Or a new Wing Commander.

We thought Elite Dangerous, No Man's Sky and Star Citizen meant a rebirth of the space shooter but all we got is these overly ambitious projects that totally missed the mark.

All I wanted was game that plays just like WWII combat sims. You have a campaign where you fly in squadrons with AI. You have a multiplayer where you join a server where humans take sides and fight for objectives.

That's all I wanted. I didn't want billions of stars and second life and second job where I grind away to buy virtual ships.

I would support a kickstarter for a real space combat sim with no MMO/RPG nonsense.
    Freespace2 and mods scratches that itch for me.

Or a new Wing Commander.

Well, SQ42 is supposed to be the single player campaign for Star Citizen but it's pretty much up in the air if/when/How is is released.

Or a new Wing Commander.

Who in their right mind ever though ED or NMS would ever be a 'WW2 campaign shooter in space'?

"We always thought the World Cup would be about who could make the biggest pizza, but all we got is a bunch of people kicking a ball! I just want pizza, not football!"

Or a new Wing Commander.

Yeah, whatever happened to games with campaigns where you play a series of missions with a briefing before each one? That's really missing from modern space games. I was hoping for that from Squadron 42 but I now doubt there'll ever be a squadron 42

Originally Posted by Chevy66 View Post (Source)
    Yeah, whatever happened to games with campaigns where you play a series of missions with a briefing before each one? That's really missing from modern space games. I was hoping for that from Squadron 42 but I now doubt there'll ever be a squadron 42
    If you want a 'military career' game with a mix of spaceships and FPS, try Cod:IW. Its actually pretty good!

Originally Posted by Chevy66 View Post (Source)
    Ugh, not that I disliked Tie Fighter - it was one of the best back then, but I'd rather have real dynamic campaigns than the ever repeating same missions.

Originally Posted by Navigare Necesse Est View Post (Source)
    Ugh, not that I disliked Tie Fighter - it was one of the best back then, but I'd rather have real dynamic campaigns than the ever repeating same missions.
    That there is the holy grail, and over the years it's seeming even more unlikely to ever appear in a true dynamic form. The only real dynamic campaign that springs to mind was Falcon 4.0 in 1999 and it damn near broke the guy who made it. It still holds up though, and having a true dynamic campaign in a sci-fi game would be fantastic.

(I still play Falcon 4.0 to this day, although heavily modified by BMS)

Originally Posted by Darkfyre99 View Post (Source)
    It's what exploration in Elite should be.
    Except that it can't be in a gameworld of galaxy sized proportions, with billions of planets.
    FDev will have to go about it in a very different way.

But there are worthwhile game systems in SubnauticA FDev might have a look at.

Originally Posted by Memnoch View Post (Source)
    Funnily enough I fired it up after last playing in 2013. Wow, 5 years ago....

Anyway, the short answer is no, it really isn't worth playing. Still has the horrendous searching for station POI. You can't even trade in the only ship you can fly and must own or hire transporters and strangely in the first hour I made over a million from searching around in station vents for cases of diamonds. Utter junk.

Here's hoping that X4 is nothing like this or Egosoft are going to crash and burn so hard. Worryingly I saw an X4 video where Bernd said "I still believe in space highways". Oh, Bernd..... :-(

Oh, Objects in Space is now in early access. It's fun like 8-bit modempunk game.
    Man i loved x3tc and ap too though not as much. Imo ED devs could learn a thing or two from those games. One of the reasons i bought a new PC was than i knew x4 was coming.

Originally Posted by SushiCW View Post (Source)
    Lots of good suggestions already. I'll throw Overload onto the pile:

If you ever played Descent back in the day, you know what to expect. This game is Descent 4 in all but name, and solidly well done.
    Man if i could get back the hours i spent playing Descent 4 online

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast