Page 56 of 69 FirstFirst ... 4652535455565758596066 ... LastLast

Thread: The Star Citizen Thread v9

Originally Posted by Zetta View Post (Source)
    Isn't there a small claims case that is getting heard today or tomorrow? Will be interesting to see what the outcome of that is.
    Tomorrow, Friday 13th... dunn dunn durrrrrrr!

Originally Posted by Tuub t Tute View Post (Source)
    Tomorrow, Friday 13th... dunn dunn durrrrrrr!
    But for whom?

Originally Posted by Snarfbuckle View Post (Source)
    But for whom?
    It's Friday the 13th for everybody.

Originally Posted by MarktJones View Post (Source)
    Hmm...true, it's kind of difficult to avoid.

Well played, Sir!

I haven't kept up with the total details, I think CiG's rebuttal filing was "You are suing a company that doesn't exist, it is not one of our 20 shell companies, go away!"

Yeah, but no all at once. I'm In NZ and get it in about 20 minutes. You're safe for hours

(assuming you're in the UK)

Friday the 13th and the Zombie Apocalypse Star Citizen only work if you believe in them. (Yeah, lame one, I know.)

Originally Posted by Komemiute View Post (Source)
    And people still complain about ED notoriety cool-down and Stations lift taking too looong!
    Thats what got me years ago. Its not that Elites gameplay isnt "lite" or "grindy" or maybe even "shallow". As in all games some people like these qualities others dont.

But the fact that Star Citizen is praised to do everything better then ED does and already IS really showcases how "distorted perception" works. I mean either that or people do these claims intentionally.

"Oh man, everything looks the same. You have 100 billion stars and no content"....takes a look at Star Citizen with its TWO mini-moons and no content.

You were saying? But pointing out the obvious instantly flags you as a hater. It just shows how many SC backers operate with 2 very different sets of parameters when forming their view on the world. And the main factor in this phenomenon is investment it seems. Either through money or empathy. Watching this cult in action makes me think that most of them dont look for trouble. I can believe that most would be really happy if the world simply stopped caring about CiG and do something else leaving them in peace. But the fanatics are as much victims here as the people they descent upon as a swarm. Too many people benefit from the ongoing drama and do everything to re-ignite a luke-warm fire or fan the flames. SC streamers and bloggers have enjoyed an initial boost in viewers and popularity but these numbers soon dropped once CiG failed repeatedly to deliver anything of value in any timely fashion. Only the most stubborn or ruthless remain and who is what can be determined by their videos content easily enough.

BoringGamer for example simply throws every tiny detail into the fray and regurgitates ATVs and quotes while playing shiny footage in the background. The content of his monologue bars any news and puts people to sleep by sheer repetition and he makes very sure to stay positive without actively misleading people into this scam. Montoya on the other hand is not only discussing highly controversial topics but he also takes a very firm (pro-)stand and provides reasons, sources and opinions which are mostly wrong, fictional or aggravating directed at others. He often takes cheap shots at others and is directing his minions to do his bidding. Whenever people talk about "warlords" its funny how much Montoya matches that description. He has his minions, takes pride in his own looks and how "successful" his org is and often mentions how influential he is or perceives himself. The recent open attack against FTR is a new low even for him. I guess his rather "timid" attempts to control DS have resulted in legal actions directed against him (source: rumors) so hes looking for weaker victims.

And what else can he do? His viewer counts are dwindling. Interest in Star Citizen falters and I m sure he gets less and less "donations" from his minions. The game itself doesnt provide any value for longer periods of time. You usually show something ONCE and after that its only ever the same because nothing changes and even good looks are starting to get boring when you see the same all day long every day. Its too bad to see that in order to save his small YT channel he decided to walk the "dark path" but then, even his own president is using strong-arm tactics and remains remarkably stubborn and child-like in his tantrums so why not follow the example of the "most powerful man on earth"?

Its funny but even tho Star Citizen generates and provides a lot of internet drama already he needs to create his own which goes back to HIM in order to get more publicity and attention.

I am often surprised as to what people will do in order to draw benefit Be it Chris Roberts, CiG as an entity or any of the given people involved in this chaos pool. I mean I do have my own view on this matter and its pretty clear and one-sided for sure but still I wouldnt take ACTION in order to support my own opinion beyond words. Many people openly threaten or bully others, use every tool at their disposal to drive their own narrative forward even if that means abusing their influence and powers and being very unfair. I can understand that you can get "drawn into the fray" if a discussion gets heated and suddenly you find yourself spouting vitriol and smashing things in your household out of sudden anger. Been there done that. But what we see with Star Citizen and its orbiting players (even as small ones as Montoya) goes way beyond berserker rage which is volatile and short-living.

For something like Star Citizen to continue for this kind of length without any noticeable delivery of success there simply MUST be people involved who use illegal or at best scrupelous tactics to keep the thing going. Or a really good reason of course. But if there is one it should be communicated.

"Blockers" and "we got nothing" are simply not good reasons sorry to say.

If CiG would admit that its on its last leg and just tries to survive then people could decide on their own to stay on this train-wreck and keep supporting it in order to continue. If they try to appear successful tho and claim to have quality and content which is fabricated in order to create the "illusion" of these things (aka.....what they are doing right now) then it crosses a legal border and becomes a scam. If they started out without the capabilities and no idea how to do this doesnt make it not a scam. While "technically" it would be correct to state that Star Citizen didnt start out as a scam it makes no difference to me personally. If they promised a game back in 2012 without having the first idea how to do it and backed up their claims with open lies and deception (it seems like both things are very very likely in hindsight) then Star Citizen never had a chance from day 1. "Could have, should have" isnt going to change this fact. Ergo Star Citizen was a scam from day 1. I m not going to cut CR any slack and let him off the hook by admitting "oh he is just stupid and doesnt know what he is doing". There are serious resources involved in this endeavor, expectations are present and were fanned and promised by propaganda. I am sure that if we put some light on the first few months/years of any given scam we could argue that they all "technically didnt start out as scams" but that doesnt change the fact in the end.

In 2018 things are really simple in my eyes.

Can Star Citizen fulfill its promises?
    Can Star Citizen end up being the game that was announced in 2012?
    Does Star Citizen even possess the basic requirements to fulfill on its promises after 6 years of full development?
    Is CiG representing its own progress in a rational and realistic manner (aka no lying)?
    Does CiG have any "good" reasons to explain this bad result after this kind of time and money spent?

If most or all of the answers above are "NO" or start with a capital "IF" then I really dont know why we keep talking about this. But then....Star Citizen itself isnt really the main topic anymore. Not even in this thread even tho we try to keep it in focus to avoid the Yaffle (but boy, its hard work). Interest and entertainment is generated by the users and comes from drama. In this regard Star Citizen is a true MMO already even without releasing

Star Citizen is like a soap show going into its 7th year which had a good start and promising future. But the main theme in this show is "suspension" and after years of gripping the edges of your chair and waiting for the next piece of the puzzle to show in order to advance the whole thing while being fed morsels in order to keep you sustained it all has become a little....stale? I for one would be happy if this show canceled or come to an end already. Even the best story needs to provide results and answers in order to be successful in the first place. Can there be a come-back for SC? Possible but I dont see how. Even if it provided a really great story arc or answer NOW it would be too little too late. Too many people have started to have unrealistic expectations or become personally involved on such a way that even success would not be good enough anymore.

But this show doesnt have a station that could pull the plug on this disaster based on viewer counts or feedback given. Instead the show itself writes its own reviews and keeps going even most people are sick of what they show. For me Star Citizen is like a TV show with overlayed live chat functions. The show isnt interesting anymore and I dont really care to watch it but the people in chat are keeping me hooked

Originally Posted by Zetta View Post (Source)
    Isn't there a small claims case that is getting heard today or tomorrow? Will be interesting to see what the outcome of that is.
    Yes, don't hold your breath for it though. The arbitration clause in the 3.0 terms of service has killed any hope of a refund unless you are willing to go the whole hog with a full on court case.

I've said for the longest time that selling pre-orders without a delivery date, including digital goods, is in breach of the consumer legislation in the UK - but I didn't consider that backers on the whole would take no action for year after year after year in this direction.

The grey market falling apart is an interesting development, that's a fair chunk of folks who have been promoting the project to keep their own end of the scam going.

'We don't get paid by CIG', the youtubers and content creators call out, as they flip donated jpegs for $$$ via paid !raffle tickets sold via third party sites and promoted on facebook.

Yes, all very grubby. I do find it interesting checking some of their videos out, if nothing else than to enjoy the mental gymnastics they go through theory crafting about what the game "will" have down the road.

Originally Posted by Cobra1984 View Post (Source)
    The grey market falling apart is an interesting development, that's a fair chunk of folks who have been promoting the project to keep their own end of the scam going.
    That reminds me, I've only the haziest notion of how the grey market works - you sell a spaceship jpeg for more than you paid for it, based on its relative scarcity in the game, is that it? And how does a seller transfer "ownership" of said jpeg to the buyer? And what's more, CIG surely can't be happy about it, as buying a jpeg from a seller effectively cuts them (CIG) out of the loop financially, right, with all the funds going to the seller instead of into Chris and Sandi's retirement pot?

Well, I guess they already got their money from the initial sale. Expecting to get some more money simply for handing the JPEG from one person to another is double dipping, isn't it? ;-)

Originally Posted by Memnoch View Post (Source)
    Wll, I guess they already got their money from the initial sale. Expecting to get some more money simply for handing the JPEG from one person to another is double dipping, isn't it? ;-)
    Heh I guess - but a private seller offloading a jpeg onto a buyer who doesn't own it prevents CIG from getting a new sale, surely?

That's true, it does. Maybe a new stretch goal will be to implement DRM for ship JPEGs to prevent second hand sales? Maybe they could "invent" steganography to embed an image of a benevolently smiling Chris "Genuine" Roberts into every one?

I realise they aren't actually selling JPEGs but otherwise the joke doesn't work. ;-)