Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Buckyball Racing Club presents: The Black Riband Rebooted

Wow, what a complicated race. Way beyond me, but I'm impressed with all you that are going for it!

Chalk one up for the "Grey Comets" who came to relieve me "of the burden of life for her glory."

https://imgur.com/a/vGkAQSs

This is a very different race from the Black Riband 1.0.

Sadly, it's proving hard to run, as I'm estimating a 3 hour runtime, and have been sick and travelling this week, but hopefully there will be another attempt soon!

Originally Posted by Codger View Post (Source)
    Wow, what a complicated race. Way beyond me, but I'm impressed with all you that are going for it!
    Yeah, it's beyond complicated. I would encourage those looking for a simpler time to start with the Spa Run (very simple, if long) and then try the Bootlegger Express. Both are an order of magnitude simpler than the full run IMO.

Originally Posted by Bruski View Post (Source)
    estimating a 3 hour runtime

Out of curiosity, is that a "straight-forward" Black Riband run? Or are you still attempting to claim several awards at once as you mentioned in your PM?

For anyone who doesn't want a complex race, definitely try the Bootlegger Express it should faster and simpler than the original Black Riband (only 5 stations plus one installation). There's a separate record for each choice so you don't have to figure out the fastest one.

Don't do the Spa Challenge unless you really fancy flying to Hutton, etc.

Get well soon Bruski.

Originally Posted by Codger View Post (Source)
    Yes, it's deliberately complex. So I can't really apologise for the complexity. The full run is designed to be a navigation challenge even if you're using EDTS or similar tools. You can simplify it by running a Python or something else with 100t or more cargo and filling up before visiting the target systems (Kamitra in boom can then supply Bast as the cigars are illegal there), it's a simpler run but obviously slower than an optimal one. It's also the one I might make after a month in order to enter my own race without being competitive.

I meant to have the Ask Tony section up by now, but this week was unexpectedly busy - hopefully I'll add it today.
    As I say above, I wouldn't necessarily go for the Spa Trophy as a simpler alternative, but the Bootlegger Express is much simpler. Try an Express run to Bast - it's close to the installations and has a wider choice of illegal commodities than the non-fed systems, so I'd be surprised if it's not the easiest of the five choices.

Originally Posted by Bruski View Post (Source)
    Chalk one up for the "Grey Comets" who came to relieve me "of the burden of life for her glory."

https://imgur.com/a/vGkAQSs

This is a very different race from the Black Riband 1.0.

Sadly, it's proving hard to run, as I'm estimating a 3 hour runtime, and have been sick and travelling this week, but hopefully there will be another attempt soon!
    Ouch! I misread your post and thought you said chalk up one Grey Comet - in my defence I'd just got up at 5:30am, so my eyes were a bit blurry!

How quickly did Nuk's Grey Comet psycho buddies spawn? When I made a test run through Halley Terminal, I was inside the tunnels before anyone spawned, but that was in an engineered DBX (I'm starting to like flying The Darkside).

Anyway since your run has been ended at Halley Terminal, and just so that your 3 hour estimate doesn't scare off everyone else, to the best of my knowledge CMDR Bruski was making an awesome and audacious attempt to take the Black Riband, Classic, Cobra Classic, Cobra Challenge and the Zammo Memorial with his first run.

So I'm still sticking with estimate of one hour for an optimal run. I think that the optimal ship is probably a Krait Mk2 with a class-5 FSD booster (closely followed by a similar Python), but it could easily turn out to be a DBX or Asp-X.

Late response here, more to follow later, but they spawned as soon as I hit the instance, and I was down to half health before I was even near a tunnel.

Will upload the recording later, after I figure out how to trim it.

And yes, the three hour estimate is only for the terminally insane.

I've finally managed to add the "Ask Tony" section.

I've got a few tables done, including Raikograms, but I can't post those until I get home.

Awesome, Black Riband made the newsletter!

Originally Posted by Alec Turner View Post (Source)
    Awesome, Black Riband made the newsletter!
    Cool

I hope my unusually complex race doesn't put anyone off Buckyball Racing!

If anyone is here after reading the newsletter - have a go at the Bootlegger Express first, it's much easier!

CURRENT STANDINGS - 00:00 UTC 10-JUL-3304

Only a single entry to the Black Riband Rebooted so far, as reigning Black Riband holder Cmdr Bruski made an early attempt to snatch every full-route award except for the Lucky Lakon trophy by making an audacious and narcotics-free run in his non-engineered Cobra MkIII Flaming Onionhead Express.

Sadly the attempt was ended early by Nuk's psycho buddies The Grey Comets while attempting a dead-drop at the otherwise deserted installation Halley Terminal in the Ross 690 system. Beware smugglers, this place can be dangerous; the Grey Comets are even crazier than the Rahu-One BRC Fan Club.

As well as adding Bruski's incomplete run to the OP, I've also now added some "Raikogram" travel distance tables. One contains just the target systems, one just the source systems and a third huge table inside spoilers combines the two.

I've also rearranged the "Ask Tony" questions into a better order and moved them into post#4 on their own.

Intent to race
    Bootlegger Express
    CMDR Edelgard von Rhein
    black market station: Hart Station, Bast
    start time: 12:00 GMT (in-game time) 13/07/3304

Originally Posted by Edelgard von Rhein View Post (Source)
    Intent to race
    Bootlegger Express
    CMDR Edelgard von Rhein
    black market station: Hart Station, Bast
    start time: 12:00 GMT (in-game time) 13/07/3304
    Good luck Edelgard!
    Take care in whichever installation you choose.

I'm glad the Bootlegger Express addition works for you.

Now I've just got to decide exactly how to do the Bootlegger Express Leaderboard before you run.

CMDR Bruski
    Attempt 2
    Start Time: 20:37:00 12 Jul 3304

The Black Riband
    The Classic
    The Cobra Challenge Cup
    The Cobra Classic Cup
    The Zammo McGuire Memorial Shield

Cobra Mk IV

FLAMING ONIONBE4R EXPRESS MK.4

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast