Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.
Thread: Can hot weather cause Internet connection problems?

I would check your modem's status/diagnostic pages to see the connection quality, which would at least give a hint as to where the problem is.

Originally Posted by Rob At Work View Post (Source)
    Atmospheric conditions would be more likely to affect wireless connections than hard wired ones in all seriousness
    Thermal expansion/contraction, humidity, or animals attacking cables can certainly cause issues with cable, DSL, or fiber as well.

2. This is the last staff post in this thread. #17
    DSL, Cable, LTE, something else?

Originally Posted by Brett C View Post (Source)
    DSL, Cable, LTE, something else?
    I'm a scrub and have no idea.

I use powerline too. Sometimes I have to just unplug and re-plug the socket in the wall - I reckon sometimes static builds up in the lines or whatnot and it needs to be 'reset' thusly.

Additionally, thanks to a tip I found before here on the forums, I find my connection is more stable (over LONG periods of time) if I run a CMD prompt that pings my router with 1 byte endlessly; I actually made it into a .bat file to run every time I start up my PC. The command is:

ping -t -l 1 {your router local IP goes here without the brackets}

I used to use powerline, I could work all day over citrix (i.e. which requires constant connectivity) without any problems, then switch to ED and have a few dropouts an hour. ED seems very sensitive to any issues, either matchmaking or transaction server errors usually. A deft flick power on and off with my toe under the desk would be enough to fix it. Sometimes I could even see when the network connectivity seemed to be slow entering/leaving supercruise and reset the powerline in time for the connection to re-establish before time out.

Having upgraded to nice shiny new motherboard with built in wifi then everything works better.

Sounds to me powerline systems have problem with waking up from a sleep state, hence solution s like the keep alive ping from above.

Citrix for instance would rely on constant back and forth communication but games like ED would only send data when needed so it the system idles down and fails to wake up in a timely fashion.

Personally I'm just quite amazed these systems are ever used at all.
    Just get a 15 Cat5e cable and be done.
    The hour and a half spent running a cable properly is easily made up in the next three years of not having to deal with these issues.

Originally Posted by V'larr View Post (Source)
    I use powerline too. Sometimes I have to just unplug and re-plug the socket in the wall - I reckon sometimes static builds up in the lines or whatnot ...........
    Oh Dear! - I really want to make a joke about fitting blanks to unused sockets so as to stop electricity leaking out but I am worried some people might either take offence or take it seriously.

Originally Posted by Para Handy View Post (Source)
    Oh Dear! - I really want to make a joke about fitting blanks to unused sockets in so as to stop electricity leaking out but I am worried some people might either take offence or take it seriously.
    Blanks? all you need is a sock, looks like you never been in Bavaria

Originally Posted by Para Handy View Post (Source)
    Oh Dear! - I really want to make a joke about fitting blanks to unused sockets in so as to stop electricity leaking out but I am worried some people might either take offence or take it seriously.
    Or recommend a product like this
    https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...m-exterminator

Only $79.99

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12