Page 1 of 10 1236 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 147

Thread: Kids trapped in cave, Thailand.

  1. #1

    Kids trapped in cave, Thailand.

    I'll get a link to the BBC/ITV article when I am at the desktop.

    I find this whole story both heartwarming and heartbreaking.

    Basically these kids, a football team IIRC, and their coach, explored a cave... And got trapped by floodwater. Well after about ten days alone, divers in the cave found the poor kids.

    The heartwarming part is how many of the country's forces, and foreign aid workers, have come together to save these guys.

    The heartbreaking part is despite contact being made, these kids are essentially trapped with no way out.

    I'll be following this one. The collective efforts to save these guys gives me some hope.

  2. #2
    And thanks the British divers

  3. #3
    Originally Posted by Patrick_68000 View Post (Source)
    And thanks the British divers
    Yes. Am I correct in thinking they were the guys who made first contact with the kids?

  4. #4
    Originally Posted by Un1k0rn View Post (Source)
    Yes. Am I correct in thinking they were the guys who made first contact with the kids?
    YES !


  5. #5
    Originally Posted by Patrick_68000 View Post (Source)
    YES !

    World Cup, saving lost souls... I'm proud of my country sometimes after all!

  6. #6
    Greatest moment of the week.


  7. #7
    Monsoon season hasn't really got going yet, that could drastically increase flooding and complicate matters even further. They are (according to the BBC) at least a couple of miles in with different flooded area's between them and the exit and most of them can't swim let alone scuba dive. Cave diving is also notoriously dangerous even for experts in really good conditions and the conditions are apparently terrible.

    Fingers crossed this has a happy ending.

  8. #8
    Originally Posted by Un1k0rn View Post (Source)
    Yes. Am I correct in thinking they were the guys who made first contact with the kids?
    British Cave Divers (they are extreme sport practitioners (although they do provide "blue light" cave rescue function in UK) although NOT Pro-Divers, they are probably the most "professional" in the world. They are currently teaching the Thai Navy Seal Divers how to use full-face diving masks on the kids.... these Navy Seal Divers seem not have the training/knowledge on this kit)

    (I have been in touch with the Brit Cave Rescue guys out there now: I am an ex-Caver/Potholer (Rescue Medic) but not a trained diver although did once do some exploratory diving in a cave called P8 in Derbyshire UK)
    https://imgur.com/a/4jbFUeo

    Update 05/07/18: The two original Brit Cave Divers are now back home but more colleagues have taken their place assisting the Thai authorities. We wish them all well.

    o7

  9. #9
    Why the hell those caves weren't closed during monsoon season is beyond me.

    Some of the heaviest rainfalls I've ever seen anywhere have been in Thailand.

    I was in Thailand again during monsoon 2017. It deluged some days like you just couldn't describe to people or make them believe....

  10. #10
    The two Biritsh divers were the first to reach the Thai kids, they even had to take their tanks off to get through some of the tunnels.

    There are so many countries involved in this rescue, each sending their specialists in at a moments notice.

    It's nice to see that we can work together when it matters.

  11. #11
    Originally Posted by Marak View Post (Source)
    It's nice to see that we can work together when it matters.
    It's a shame that, with our human species, that is the exception rather than the rule.

    I'm a SCUBA diver (was diving in Thailand last year after monsoon finished) but there is no way you could get me interested in cave diving. Too many risks... props to the cavers who are doing this.

  12. #12
    Originally Posted by Marak View Post (Source)
    The two Biritsh divers were the first to reach the Thai kids, they even had to take their tanks off to get through some of the tunnels.

    There are so many countries involved in this rescue, each sending their specialists in at a moments notice.

    It's nice to see that we can work together when it matters.
    I remember in 2010 the mining accident of Copiapů (Chile)

    33 miners were blocked underground in 688 meters deep during 69 days

    The rescue operations had lasted two months and 10 days and there were many people for the rescue

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010_C...ining_accident

  13. #13
    Originally Posted by Patrick_68000 View Post (Source)
    I remember in 2010 the mining accident of Copiapů (Chile)

    33 miners were blocked underground in 688 meters deep during 69 days

    The rescue operations had lasted two months and 10 days and there were many people for the rescue

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010_C...ining_accident
    I wouldn't be surprised if we hear a thing or two from those men soon, in support of the boys.

  14. #14
    Originally Posted by Un1k0rn View Post (Source)
    I wouldn't be surprised if we hear a thing or two from those men soon, in support of the boys.
    Well seen. It would be a nice gesture

  15. #15
    Now they know what they are dealing with, they should be able to move/guide them out one at a time.

    The water getting deeper is not going to help of course. But they should be able to move them one stage at a time. I think drilling would take too long, again considering the rising water etc..

Page 1 of 10 1236 ... LastLast