Thread: Was Sinosaurus the Mistake on Sorna?

Was Sinosaurus the Mistake on Sorna?

I know that it’s generally believed the the mistake mentioned in the Masrani Backdoor entry about about feathered dino experiments was the Spinosaurus. Now while I to believe this to be correct, could this entry be referring to something else? As a reminder, here’s the message:

“OWNER: WU, HENRY

DATE: 02/20/2003 1410 CST

SUBJECT: RUFFLED FEATHERS

NOTES: I'M CALLING THIS THE 'COMMON COLD OF GENETICS'. WE CAN'T CURE THIS ONE SOON I'M SURE. BECAUSE WE'RE ACTIVELY MANIPULATING AND MUTATING THE ANIMALS' GE NES, ADDING FROG, BIRD AND REPTILE DNA, WE CREATE WHAT IS KNOWN AS 'NULL ALLELE'. THE DINOSAURS CANNOT LIVE WITHOUT SOMETHING ADDED TO THEIR CODE SO FOR NOW WE'RE STUCK WITH SCALES. MAYBE MY RESEARCH INTO GENE SPLICING WILL UNEARTH THIS PROBLEM, IT CERTAINLY PROVED ITS LIMITLESS CAPABILITIES WITH THAT ACCIDENT WE LEFT ON SORNA.”

Now, while it does seem to be referring to the Spino, I started wondering if it was referring to another dinosaur. We have the quilled raptors, which would fit the feather research. There’s also the toothed Pteranodon, which are just strange. It is possible that all of them are part of this mistake, but what do y’all think?

Re: feathers = Additionally we have the Mononykus with feathered tails mounted on display in the Lockwood Manor in Fallen Kingdom. Wonder where they came from?

Originally Posted by Howqualepis View Post (Source)
    Re: feathers = Additionally we have the Mononykus with feathered tails mounted on display in the Lockwood Manor in Fallen Kingdom. Wonder where they came from?
    I didn’t notice that. That makes things more interesting.

Originally Posted by SF-1 Raptor View Post (Source)
    I know that it’s generally believed the the mistake mentioned in the Masrani Backdoor entry about about feathered dino experiments was the Spinosaurus. Now while I to believe this to be correct, could this entry be referring to something else? As a reminder, here’s the message:

“OWNER: WU, HENRY

DATE: 02/20/2003 1410 CST

SUBJECT: RUFFLED FEATHERS

NOTES: I'M CALLING THIS THE 'COMMON COLD OF GENETICS'. WE CAN'T CURE THIS ONE SOON I'M SURE. BECAUSE WE'RE ACTIVELY MANIPULATING AND MUTATING THE ANIMALS' GE NES, ADDING FROG, BIRD AND REPTILE DNA, WE CREATE WHAT IS KNOWN AS 'NULL ALLELE'. THE DINOSAURS CANNOT LIVE WITHOUT SOMETHING ADDED TO THEIR CODE SO FOR NOW WE'RE STUCK WITH SCALES. MAYBE MY RESEARCH INTO GENE SPLICING WILL UNEARTH THIS PROBLEM, IT CERTAINLY PROVED ITS LIMITLESS CAPABILITIES WITH THAT ACCIDENT WE LEFT ON SORNA.”

Now, while it does seem to be referring to the Spino, I started wondering if it was referring to another dinosaur. We have the quilled raptors, which would fit the feather research. There’s also the toothed Pteranodon, which are just strange. It is possible that all of them are part of this mistake, but what do y’all think?
    The toothed Pteranodon in JP/// were probably supposed to be Cearadactyls like in the first book.

You have an interesting point, although I'm thinking we shouldn't discount the Spino just yet. Remember, when JP/// came out there was almost no surviving fossil evidence of Spinosaurus, that would have probably involved a lot of guesswork on Wu's part. I think what the Memo is alluding to is "We haven't succeeded with feathers yet, but we were able to create the Spinosaurus from almost nothing, so why not?"

Originally Posted by Capt.Hunt View Post (Source)
    The toothed Pteranodon in JP/// were probably supposed to be Cearadactyls like in the first book.

You have an interesting point, although I'm thinking we shouldn't discount the Spino just yet. Remember, when JP/// came out there was almost no surviving fossil evidence of Spinosaurus, that would have probably involved a lot of guesswork on Wu's part. I think what the Memo is alluding to is "We haven't succeeded with feathers yet, but we were able to create the Spinosaurus from almost nothing, so why not?"
    Trust me, I still think the Spino’s the most likely candidate, but you make a good point. It could have been a hybrid, but only to recreate an existing dino. Success could have led Wu to think of the possibilities, and explain his more... villainous personality.

Personally, I think the comments point towards the JP3 raptors, they're the only JP dinosaurs that were shown to have feathers.

I didn’t notice that. That makes things more interesting.
    Yep - mostly naked (not scaly), but they do have feathers on the tail. Would indicate that at least some early model dino-clones (prior to the Lockwood/Hammond rift) had feathering.

Oh, duh! I can't beleive I forgot about this until now cause it was so wild. Anyway, so in the book "The Lost World", significantly different from the movie, I know, but at one point while hiding from raptors in the old ingen laboratory village at night they encounter a pair of Carnotauruses that can active camoflage like Indominus could in the JW movie.

Originally Posted by Aramus418 View Post (Source)
    Oh, duh! I can't beleive I forgot about this until now cause it was so wild. Anyway, so in the book "The Lost World", significantly different from the movie, I know, but at one point while hiding from raptors in the old ingen laboratory village at night they encounter a pair of Carnotauruses that can active camoflage like Indominus could in the JW movie.
    Oh yeah. I remember hearing about that. I really wanted the carno in JW:FK would camouflage, but it was still cool.

Oh yeah. I remember hearing about that. I really wanted the carno in JW:FK would camouflage, but it was still cool.
    Unfortunately, I think that having things like the Demon carno a lot of people remember from the toyline would kind of counter the pale coloration the Carno's had in the books when they were out in light. I don't believe the Indominus actually has its camo ability in the game either.

Originally Posted by SotF View Post (Source)
    Unfortunately, I think that having things like the Demon carno a lot of people remember from the toyline would kind of counter the pale coloration the Carno's had in the books when they were out in light. I don't believe the Indominus actually has its camo ability in the game either.
    No, it doesn’t sadly. I hope they add it later. They really made gene mods a thematic focus that I think theyll expand that area later to include more than stat tweaks later.

Originally Posted by Aramus418 View Post (Source)
    No, it doesn’t sadly. I hope they add it later. They really made gene mods a thematic focus that I think theyll expand that area later to include more than stat tweaks later.
    There was also the chameleon raptor in the first book...

But technically, the Demon came before the color changing carno with JP stuff.

Jurassic World Evolution Moderator Lora Craft69's Avatar
    Moving this to The Bunker.