Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 16 to 25 of 25

Thread: FDs other projects - Atmospheric Landings/Space Legs?

  1. #16
    Originally Posted by sleutelbos View Post (Source)
    Frontier is a company. They are going to dedicate the number of people to each product that is likely to generate the largest profits. If that means 300 on each, they hire 600 people. If that means 1 on ED and a billion on JWE, they hire a billion + one person. It is nonsense to think these project 'eat' the team of the other. If it makes financial sense to have a dude working on ED, that dude will be working there, regardless of any other project they make be working on.
    In black and white terms yes... But if you have a handful of developers with 5 years experience of the Cobra engine, that's not easy to replicate/hire is it... Now where do those bums earn the most bang per cheek?

    I get what you're saying, but it's not as simple as just hiring staff/booting staff out as projects come and go I suspect.

  2. #17
    It would be interesting to have more details of Cobra works. They've described it in past as a looser set of tools than something like Unity. Also, that they have people writing the core graphics tech and then graphics programmers writing game specific stuff on top. Presumably stuff like planet v1 texturing system or coaster strut generation.

  3. #18
    Somewhere in the world there is a game being pitched that will have the features of ED, SC, GTA and Arma all rolled into one. Plus the potential player count of Planetside.

  4. #19
    Originally Posted by NeilF View Post (Source)
    I'm confused why some people seem to see FD working on other titles (eg: JWE) as a bad sign for ED. For me it's surely a positive thing for two main reason?
    1. Financial Security - If FD want to do a big ED update and then sell it (as a new version), this would take man years of development effort and be a significant cost. Having money coming in from other channels (titles) while this is ongoing means the company is in a far better/safer place.
    2. Cross title benefit - I suspect some of the development work done to the Cobra engine for Planet Coaster and JWE finds its way into ED. eg: The new lighting model? Done specifically for ED, or did that come about from work done on JWE? If we get atmospheric landings in the Q4 DLC or ED 4.0, will some of that work have come from development done for Planet Coaster or JWE? Or indeed maybe some of it is vice versa? ie: There's been some atmospheric work done over the years for ED, and some of that was applied to JWE?



    And Space Legs
    What if one/both of these mystery future projects FD has announced is first person, using the Cobra Engine?

    Now I'm dead set against WASD in ED at the moment as I feel the core game isn't even progressing into deep enough water, let alone then adding on another game facet of first person, risking development time being taken away from the core game possibly just to bolt on more shallow point & click gameplay now for first person. BUT, if another game FD is working on has first person, NPCs, AI, combat, missions etc. ie: Enough commonality with what ED would need, such that a significant quantity of it could be "lifted" thus breaking the back of some of it?

    TBH, I've only mentioned Space Legs because I just felt left out because everyone else here has posted a space legs thread this month and I haven't! I feel complete now! Plus putting "Space Legs" in the title means I'll get 20x more posts... You watch!
    This is pure speculation, however implementing spacleg in ED seems more and more distant in the future, however a new game using the ED backdrop as the frame work could be an option. Elite Deadly could be a FPS WASD driven game, SP in the ED Universe, they could used all the art work, the ships and most of the assets created for ED. They would need to make a story and ofc all the work with voice acting.

    If the story is good, and the mechanics for the FPS works I would buy such a game for sure.

  5. #20
    Originally Posted by Stewart_ View Post (Source)
    Counter argument: Putting more people on a project doesn't necessarily mean more productivity!
    My favorite argument, women and babies

  6. #21
    I can't believe no one has yet mentioned X: Rebirth yet as an example of how not to do space legs. It was abysmal. Now imagine what they could have done to make it more fun and you have to actually stop and think. What exactly was wrong with it? Well. let's see.

    Copy/pasted interiors that all look the same. This could certainly be made to look better with more varation in the environments.
    Horrible looking NPCs to interact with. Same as above, get better artists! ;-)
    Why do I have to board these damn stations in the first place just to trade. This was the killer for a lot of people. You had to hunt down a POI on the station and then find that person inside. So painful to do that IIRC there were mods so that you could interact and trade directly without getting out of your ship.

    This doesn't necessarily mean it shouldn't be done but it has to be done right or people will just hate it, just as people did with the the Engineers and its RNG silliness. FDEV have already shown that they can., on occasion, get things spectacularly wrong and without involvement from the community and asking us what we want, they may once again forge their own path and have history repeat itself.

  7. #22
    Originally Posted by Memnoch View Post (Source)
    I can't believe no one has yet mentioned X: Rebirth yet as an example of how not to do space legs. It was abysmal. Now imagine what they could have done to make it more fun and you have to actually stop and think. What exactly was wrong with it? Well. let's see.

    Copy/pasted interiors that all look the same. This could certainly be made to look better with more varation in the environments.
    Horrible looking NPCs to interact with. Same as above, get better artists! ;-)
    Why do I have to board these damn stations in the first place just to trade. This was the killer for a lot of people. You had to hunt down a POI on the station and then find that person inside. So painful to do that IIRC there were mods so that you could interact and trade directly without getting out of your ship.

    This doesn't necessarily mean it shouldn't be done but it has to be done right or people will just hate it, just as people did with the the Engineers and its RNG silliness. FDEV have already shown that they can., on occasion, get things spectacularly wrong and without involvement from the community and asking us what we want, they may once again forge their own path and have history repeat itself.
    Hopefully they will look at these woefull examples and know not to go down that route.

  8. #23
    Originally Posted by Necronaught View Post (Source)
    Somewhere in the world there is a game being pitched that will have the features of ED, SC, GTA and Arma all rolled into one. Plus the potential player count of Planetside.
    It's frustrating because all I wanted was a modern version of Wing Commander. That's it.

    You have ships and few systems and a bunch of campaigns. Maybe you can play the campaigns coop. And you can play multiplayer maps against other players just as you can with modern combat flight sims. That's all I wanted.

    Instead, we got a bunch of companies creating an entire galaxy of boredom.

  9. #24
    I'm pretty much in agreement with the main points of the OP too. Frontier has also been growing and expanding during this time period and they managed to make two more games , build and move into a new office building to their specifications, and also are reaching the billion dollar capitalization mark as an up and coming contender of a game dev company. It's quite a good first time record Braben has done having never managed this level of all but excellent growth, as a ceo and in his 50's. I think JWE and PC are great examples of future atmospheric and crowd npc work that will someday segue into ED's fpp aspect. I've mentioned it before, but for those who haven't seen it, the job listings of a month ago showed a lot of reference in their position descriptions for candidates to work in "cross development" among their titles. So eventually someone who works on the design and the movement of the foliage and run in JWE could help with ED's future atmospherics of alien trees ,grass and such.

    And I feel Frontier has already made a decision to continue to work on ED for years to come. There was a very short segment in the June 28th 3.1 release livestream a few days soon after the spacelegs-teasing Krait trailer, where Braben talked about making the game better and new things for the game they were enthusiastically working on and couldn't wait to tell but only at the assigned announcements probably later this year. In the following below, as Braben was making those statements which lasted in all a quick few minutes, Ed made humorous but meaningful glances at the audience conveying expressions of "see , told you guys so", "have hope, ED is here to stay and getting better!". For Frontier it was about getting into a good financial and resourceful position before they could afford to and be ready for new grand improvements to ED which is all good and hopeful, imo.


    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-f7Z...tu.be&t=18m42s









    (3.1 launch livestream, 6-28-18 , 18m42s)

    "
    BRABEN: What's really good now in those four years in, is actually all those agonizing thoughts and decisions we had in the earlier days, if you know , how big space is. And, you know that we've actually gone full size on space and players still can find each other. You know, it's not..I think things have worked very well, but that's not to say we cant make them a lot better. I think what we'll see, over the next months, over the next years, the game continuing to get better as we put things and to make those things more enjoyable and more fun. I don't want to spoil it. I mean, many people can guess some of the things that are coming. But, it's great, it's good fun to keep that guessing game going.. I don't mean that in a bad way.

    Ed: Yeah, and also before we explain and tell people about those things we're going to make sure that's it's all kind of ready and in a good position to be actually like hey! There you go..

    BRABEN: Absolutely.

    Ed: And we can't wait to touch about this sort of thing, and any plans for the future.
    "


  10. #25
    Originally Posted by BlackSpaceCowboy View Post (Source)
    It's frustrating because all I wanted was a modern version of Wing Commander. That's it.

    You have ships and few systems and a bunch of campaigns. Maybe you can play the campaigns coop. And you can play multiplayer maps against other players just as you can with modern combat flight sims. That's all I wanted.

    Instead, we got a bunch of companies creating an entire galaxy of boredom.
    Interestingly without going into the evovled out of control shenanigans since their kickstarter exploded, StarCitizen's original plans for Squadron 42, was supposed to be just that, a single player updated Wing Commander like campaign game which would you could take your character and assets into the supposedly finished developed MMO SC universe later. (and SQ42 originally was announced to be released 2015, then delayed to 2016, then now vague comments or silence as 2018 rolls on) In contrast ED was intentionally going to be traditional to it's franchise following up with a modern updated take on FE2 & FFE which had their smaller but then unprecedented thousands of galaxy travelable stars, where for ED then, the sim astronomy aspects and gigantic scope was the first priority as the continuing traditional franchise's unique primary features. Though of course FD have also done a fantastic job on the ships in their characteristics and overall space combat.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12