Thread: Interesting article Perseverance Triumphs over Frogs in Elite Dangerous

Interesting article Perseverance Triumphs over Frogs in Elite Dangerous

Well, better than the stories of man-children screaming death threats in the wars of other space games I guess.

Very interesting read, thanks.

I've not really spent any time looking in to that aspect of the game, not just out of disnterest but the realisation of how much work it could involve for very little gain, other than the incidental cash, rep etc. The swapping hands of systems or individual stations doesn't really mean much ultimately. I don't think it was very well thought out but it is nice to know that it can be done even if you have to devote half your life to it.

Originally Posted by Memnoch View Post (Source)
    Very interesting read, thanks.

I've not really spent any time looking in to that aspect of the game, not just out of disnterest but the realisation of how much work it could involve for very little gain, other than the incidental cash, rep etc. The swapping hands of systems or individual stations doesn't really mean much ultimately. I don't think it was very well thought out but it is nice to know that it can be done even if you have to devote half your life to it.
    Well, it's true that it is time-intensive. At the same time playing with a group and an in-game agenda delivers motivation not found like that in the game. It's the reason I quit playing ED - the way I played it wasn't compatible with the in-game grind for engineer power-ups, credits, reputation. Game-wise I was hitting a wall progress-wise while playing my way.

I hated Engineers before 3.0 and started playing again a couple of weeks ago and finding the ne Engineers much nicer to deal with. It doesn't take too long to get the materials to get to Grade 5, concentrating on picking up only Grade 4 and 5 bits and trading for what you don't have.

It's one of those games where it can feel grindy depending on how you want to play. Setting objectives and long term goals can make the game soul crushinginly grindy but just jump in and play around may not lead to achieving much but you will have much more fun that way. ;-)

Originally Posted by Memnoch View Post (Source)
    I hated Engineers before 3.0 and started playing again a couple of weeks ago and finding the ne Engineers much nicer to deal with. It doesn't take too long to get the materials to get to Grade 5, concentrating on picking up only Grade 4 and 5 bits and trading for what you don't have.

It's one of those games where it can feel grindy depending on how you want to play. Setting objectives and long term goals can make the game soul crushinginly grindy but just jump in and play around may not lead to achieving much but you will have much more fun that way. ;-)
    It's not just the engineers. A lot of things I've tried to "level" or "collect" just didn't work out. Mats didn't drop. Superpower rep didn't increase. Credits were slow to collect. At the same time I encountered engineered AI and had to struggle with the stupid commodities and modules to ferry around for engineering. And while I did this I realised I just wouldn't be able to play the game like I did before. At least not anytime soon.

Warframe chief designer Steve whatdshisname was interviewed about players jumping ship. He talked about a fellow dev tackling new player experience to keep up retention rate with little to no success. Why would players not stick to the game. Steve explained his belief that it's that players either have a gut feeling or a good understanding of the required time to invest in a game there is. If that exceeds a certain threshold they jump and look for something else and there is pretty much nothing you can do about it.

It's the same in Elite. Sure - I played my 600 hours, but when I looked at all the stuff I'd need to do just to get to play like I used to and unlock a couple of new things to play with - I jumped. There was no way to reasonably catch up on it. And the way to reach it wasn't plastered with easy to reach milestones neither - it looked like a long marathon of undetermined lentgh - thanks to the RNG nature of the drops.

What makes me salty is that it feels I wasted the 600 hours for nothing. Though I definitely had my fun - it's just gone for me now.

such awesome and exciting gameplay and gripping developments ... i nearly fell asleep reading.

granted, i went a little late to bed yesterday ...

Very interesting article, although i get the impression the author is quite negative about ED in general. Perhaps it could have been better if they had left perosnal opinion out of it... but hey ho, that's how these opinion peices go.

Anyway, great work by the guys fighting against the DF.

Strangely enough, no mention that the DF are a goon faction.

That's a strange article. Written by somebody who doesn't like the game about two groups who don't like the game, spending weeks doing stuff they don't enjoy. That's probably why they describe everything, except PVP, as a 'grind'.

Possibly their time would be better spent finding a PVP game to play instead and actually enjoying themselves.