Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Kev B's 6DOF motion sim v5 (full size) - ready for flight! (OMG)

Originally Posted by Mad Mike View Post (Source)
    holy carp that is fantastic.

sadly i doubt it would be robust enough for a man of my frame. maybe something like that would be the encouragment to keep off the pies and beers.
    Fear not Commander Mike, those 6 drive units are pretty powerful (6x45Nm or 2ookg max loading with settings/measurements I'm using) and everything else is scale-able. My fatty mate will be trying this one out as part of my testing - lol. He's a drag-racer so pretty fearless.

Originally Posted by A D View Post (Source)
    Amazing! Elite's own Doc Emmett Brown and De'Lorean.
    ... that's cool - thanks! - we even have the same surname

I'm just flabbergasted. Amazing! You really know your stuff. Wiring a plug and swapping out a light fitting is about as technical as I get when it comes to electronics.

Very cool

Next time I see you in CQC I help you test it to the limit

Originally Posted by MUSKETEER View Post (Source)
    Very cool

Next time I see you in CQC I help you test it to the limit
    cheers Musky. you were actually helping me test it day before yesterday in CQC. I'm just finishing the (snazzy) touchscreen controls and I'll be flying again shortly..

So when can I put my order in.

OMG!!! Thats soooo awesome! I am totally lefthanded though wont ever be able to build something like that!
    Well done Doc brown!!!

Hope you are not wasting that thing on CQC only, play the real thing!!!

Are there commercial solutions for Elite that do something similar?!

Originally Posted by Dread Lord View Post (Source)
    OMG!!! Thats soooo awesome! I am totally lefthanded though wont ever be able to build something like that!
    Well done Doc brown!!!

Hope you are not wasting that thing on CQC only, play the real thing!!!

Are there commercial solutions for Elite that do something similar?!
    The only one which is not ridiculous amounts of money is these guys:

https://www.pagnian.co.uk/product/ne...ight-cockpits/

But that is still very pricey.

Originally Posted by Max Factor View Post (Source)
    The only one which is not ridiculous amounts of money is these guys:

https://www.pagnian.co.uk/product/ne...ight-cockpits/

But that is still very pricey.
    And at most 10 on only two axes.

I seriously haven't seen anything near 6 axes in mass production.
    It's most on custom order stuff for military etc and googling for something give a few results that won't give a price at all, not unusual, or an article or two with setups north of $25.000.

There is some movement happening though
    For example.
    https://www.yawvr.com has a bowl based design.
    feels a tad odd to. not quite a fan of the styling or marketing strategy which smacks of a 90's infomercial.

Slightly more interested in the feel three.
    http://www.feelthree.com

But neither of those has more than three axes of movement.

Originally Posted by TorTorden View Post (Source)
    And at most 10 on only two axes.

I seriously haven't seen anything near 6 axes in mass production.
    It's most on custom order stuff for military etc and googling for something give a few results that won't give a price at all, not unusual, or an article or two with setups north of $25.000.

There is some movement happening though
    For example.
    https://www.yawvr.com has a bowl based design.
    feels a tad odd to. not quite a fan of the styling or marketing strategy which smacks of a 90's infomercial.

Slightly more interested in the feel three.
    http://www.feelthree.com

But neither of those has more than three axes of movement.
    Agreed. Nothing that really compares to what commander blastard is doing.

Fantastic! I’ve built 2dof seat mover for racing sims and although it works with Elite, it is lacking with flying sims.

One question though, have sim tools or equivalent finally gotten proper motion nulling on VR headsets?

I know the simply solution with oculus would be simply mount the camera's on the plattform itself, can't really see you have done so here.
    The Lighthouse base stations however need to be as stationary as possible since they quite frankly breaks if they are pushed around during use.
    Something that would also be an issue for the Pimax.

So far there was some wonky software going on, mounting one of the wand controllers to the plattform and subtracting the motion on this to what the HMD was doing.

Didn't look hard, but didin't seem to find any new posts or threads on this since last year.

One question though, have sim tools or equivalent finally gotten proper motion nulling on VR headsets?

I know the simply solution with oculus would be simply mount the camera's on the plattform itself, can't really see you have done so here.
    The Lighthouse base stations however need to be as stationary as possible since they quite frankly breaks if they are pushed around during use.

So far there was some wonky software going on, mounting one of the wand controllers to the plattform and subtracting the motion on this to what the HMD was doing.

Didn't look hard, but didin't seem to find any new posts or threads on this since last year.
    I don't think you would want that. Surely the idea is that it simulates G-Forces and you would want that movement to be evident.

Originally Posted by Max Factor View Post (Source)
    I don't think you would want that. Surely the idea is that it simulates G-Forces and you would want that movement to be evident.
    It simulates forces yes.
    But you experience those because the ship or car moves and you are along for the ride.

If you do not cancel out the motion from the rig itself it would be as you will be thrown around inside the car or cockpit.

It would from in game look as if you are bouncing around.
    But the cockpit is stationary.
    If you cancel out the motion from the head tracking.

This is the reason why before vr motion rigs bolted the screens to the rig itself. not just for maintaining view.

Hi TorTorden
    no to the simtools ability. I dont find it an issue with it at all really - it just adds to the motion experience as far as I'm concerned. If yaw is quite extreme on the rig then your head 'can' leave your body - but thats rare in my experience. Ive tried the 'wand on chair by head trick' with SteamVR+motion cancellation app. More trouble than its worth for minimal benefit I found.
    Have also tried 'wands mounted to rig' but again, if yaw too extreme then VR headset will lose tracking position (the wands sense they have moved so you need to keep re-centering).
    I know one of the motion sim 'guru' who uses a home-brew motion cancellation by mounting the wand to its own gimbal that moves in opposition to what the rig does - so keeping the wand and headset locked whatever the chair (and your head) does. I can't be bothered with all that tho as like I said - it doesn't bother me and my rigs have a fair bit of movement.

B

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast