Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Are source and return missions ruining the games economy?

Originally Posted by UseLessUK View Post (Source)
    Really, Just spotted a mission for slaves for 50 million...
    heh, I had assumed since it was server side the nerf was already in place, glad to hear it's not.

Since I'm back here though.. Let's just note that FD could have done any number of things here, they decided to nerf payouts.

You could have increased the amount that needed to be hauled, you could have set a limit for participants to be rewarded, you could have been more judicious regarding WHICH commodities were going to be used as quest units, you could have forced players to actually BE in a wing to pick the mission up.

Instead of any of these fun alternatives, FD nerf'd the payouts?

That's just lazy.

Originally Posted by Guywired View Post (Source)
    It's funny how they said they are adjusting things because of the affects it had on local economies but they are changing the payout of the missions. That logic doesn't play out. It's not the payout messing up economies, it's the amount of goods that were being sold. They either needed to reduce the amount of good required by missions or have stations increase production/restock rates and/or inventory amounts. So in essence it seems as if their answer is to make these missions so unappealing that no one will want to do these anymore.

Originally Posted by Stasis Wolf View Post (Source)
    It's funny how they said they are adjusting things because of the affects it had on local economies but they are changing the payout of the missions. That logic doesn't play out. It's not the payout messing up economies, it's the amount of goods that were being sold. They either needed to reduce the amount of good required by missions have stations increase production/restock rates and/or inventory amounts. So in essence it seems as if their answer is to make these missions so unappealing that no one will want to do these anymore.
    Yup. If they're no longer appealing, players won't do them, so supply levels won't get drained by them.

Curing the disease by killing the patient? Not the first time we'd have been there, won't be the last I'm sure.

Originally Posted by Godnamedthor View Post (Source)
    Don't let the greed guide you.
    if I see a juicy mission I check supply before accepting.
    Went past some 30-50m missions simply because there was no way to acquire the stuff in a reasonable time.
    Yes, it's not really cool to have to use out of game tools to find things but I like it.
    I have a 10" tablet mounted to my playchair and use it as my trade/search panel.
    Haha.
    Its essential.
    I have a whole Elite page on my tab with around 20 different sites for quick access.

Originally Posted by Stasis Wolf View Post (Source)
    It's funny how they said they are adjusting things because of the affects it had on local economies but they are changing the payout of the missions. That logic doesn't play out. It's not the payout messing up economies, it's the amount of goods that were being sold. They either needed to reduce the amount of good required by missions have stations increase production/restock rates and/or inventory amounts. So in essence it seems as if their answer is to make these missions so unappealing that no one will want to do these anymore.
    This was my conclusion as well.

Not sure why a ‘fix’ always has to be a ‘break’. If they become anything like the wing cargo delivery missions (deliver 8000t for 8m credits) then they’re just going to be another fodder mission wasting space on the boards.

Originally Posted by mung0 View Post (Source)
    ...Curing the disease by killing the patient? Not the first time we'd have been there, won't be the last I'm sure.
    Unfortunately you're probably right.

Just spotted 3 missions each paying 50 million 2 for the same thing, Insulating Membrane (1602 and 1040), and the other for Palladium (810)...

2 of them: http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/uselessuk/screenshot/9408979

Just spotted 3 missions each paying 50 million 2 for the same thing, Insulating Membrane (1602 and 1040), and the other for Palladium (810)...

Just try sourcing over 1000 units of insulating membrane though...

I'll have a look. If the payouts are nerfed, I'll go back to playing other games until Q4. Can't abide this 'Fun Police' attitude that FDev develop every time some mission pays out more than 5 bob.

Originally Posted by Mole HD View Post (Source)
    Just try sourcing over 1000 units of insulating membrane though...
    Although that maybe an issue, the big problem I can spot, due to past experience, would be sourcing the Palladium. Spent over an hour the other day looking for some to complete a mission, as I could not find any in quantities greater than 6.

Can't abide this 'Fun Police' attitude that FDev develop every time some mission pays out more than 5 bob.
    Ah! the good olde bob... fond memories.

I'd do the palladium one in an instant. Only two runs would be needed with my Cutter.

However, what we usually forget is the cost of the actual commodities needed. 50 million credits may seem a lot but if you haul everything yourself it costs a lot. Even if you buy it at the lowest current price (10415/ton), 810 tons of palladium would cost you 8.4 million CR. So in the end you wouldn't get 50 million but 41.6 million. Still a lot, yes, still worth it but it's good to take this into account. Yesterday I did some similar missions with lower payouts and I realized the ~23 million payout was actually only around 11-12 million profit in the end. Of course it's different if there's a full wing doing these. I'd say these missions are quite good for what they are and this is how I'd envision an "endgame" content for high-end ships.

Originally Posted by dreampage View Post (Source)
    I'd do the palladium one in an instant. Only two runs would be needed with my Cutter.
    Same, however, as previously mentioned the quantities stations have on EDDB against the actual quantity they have in stock is hugh. So you could spend most of the available 24 hours looking for enough to complete the mission. Happened to me the other day checked EDDB which said over 1000 in stock, got there and there were 6 available. Tried a few more stations all with the same issue, no stock to sell.

Although that maybe an issue, the big problem I can spot, due to past experience, would be sourcing the Palladium. Spent over an hour the other day looking for some to complete a mission, as I could not find any in quantities greater than 6.

Ah! the good olde bob... fond memories.
    Plenty over here, albeit on outposts so no T-9 routes. (sorry about the screenie showing my extended desktop from the double monitors...damned windows. Couldn't be bothered cropping it in paint...)

I did one mission for 50M crs, sourcing Consumer Technology. It cost me aprox 12M to purchase, making my profit about 38M. It took me 8 trips in a Python, splitting my trips between three different stations. Not a bad return for the time invested. Since then I haven't found another profitable mission, the cost of goods is higher than the reward, or there not enough supply to meet the target. We're limited to very few stations around Colonia that will carry the goods or the amount needed. Haven't notied what the consequences of completing the one mission had on the local economy.

Originally Posted by GODofDUTY83 View Post (Source)
    Haha.
    Its essential.
    I have a whole Elite page on my tab with around 20 different sites for quick access.
    I didn't know you could do this, thanks for the heads up. Really appreciated and rep for you

Plenty over here, albeit on outposts so no T-9 routes. (sorry about the screenie showing my extended desktop from the double monitors...damned windows. Couldn't be bothered cropping it in paint...)
    Change the 'Landing pad size' to L and the 'Current system' to Shinrarta Dezhra and then tell me there's plenty...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast