Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Getting my Guardian Cannon to fire

Guess I better go and get more blueprints. Going to build a Alien killing ship from scratch. Just wanted to see how these worked

Originally Posted by Devari View Post (Source)
    It's works "perfectly fine" in forward fire mode as long as you don't mind taking a huge dps hit. If you aren't actually using the Guardian turrets for multicrew then you have no advantage whatsoever for using the turret versions and you're better off just getting fixed versions since they take fewer resources to unlock (1 weapon blueprint instead of 2 blueprints) and give you far better fixed weapon dps.

If the turrets worked like every other turret in the game and could fire automatically in "target only" mode then I would consider the dps tradeoff worthwhile and would probably have gotten the turreted versions instead but since I don't use multicrew gunners it would just be a massive dps loss.

They may have changed this at some point but I've read several threads on these forums indicating that the "turret" functionality for Guardian weapons is multicrew only which his why I haven't bothered with them and I haven't seen anything to indicate they changed this.
    like i wrote, mine work perfeclty fine as turrets.
    "guardian weapon" is not the criteria for them to work in multicrew only... its the trigger method.
    the turret AI is not trained to use flak/flechette (hold trigger until projectile is close to target, then release) or charged plasma (variable charge length)
    mining lasers obviously dont work in turreted mode because you can't target asteroids to command the turret to shoot at it
    shock cannons would probably be OP in with AI turrets...

guardian shard cannons have nothing special. they are just guardian themed frags.

Originally Posted by Bunkerkind Anni View Post (Source)
    guardian shard cannons have nothing special. they are just guardian themed frags.
    That sound though... kind of like an old gun

Originally Posted by Craps View Post (Source)
    I recently installed a Guardian Shard Cannon on my Python. It shows to have ammo and has a fire group assigned to it but it will not fire. Anyone have a suggestion in fixing this problem?
    You might just be getting too old?

Flimley

like i wrote, mine work perfeclty fine as turrets.
    "guardian weapon" is not the criteria for them to work in multicrew only... its the trigger method.
    the turret AI is not trained to use flak/flechette (hold trigger until projectile is close to target, then release) or charged plasma (variable charge length)
    mining lasers obviously dont work in turreted mode because you can't target asteroids to command the turret to shoot at it
    shock cannons would probably be OP in with AI turrets...

That makes sense now, most of the threads I read were about the guardian plasma charger not working in turret mode and the responses seemed to indicate that it was a feature of Guardian weapons (or experimental weapons in general) to have them only work in multicrew. If the Guardian shard cannons work fine as automatic turrets in "target only" mode them I am going to unlock those right away because I am really enjoying my large fixed shard cannon but would also like to use the turret versions. I use medium overcharged corrosive multicannons on most of my ships as turret weapons and would like to swap them out with medium shard cannon turrets to see if that gives me better burst damage. I do realize that from a pure dps perspective an Engineered gimballed frag cannon would probably be a better choice but I like the visual effect and the ability to theoretically engage both humans and Thargoids effectively using the same weapon.

Originally Posted by Flimley View Post (Source)
    You might just be getting too old?

Flimley
    I am getting old....65 here ...lol

I am getting old....65 here ...lol
    All credit to you sir ! o7

Flimley

Originally Posted by Devari View Post (Source)
    That makes sense now, most of the threads I read were about the guardian plasma charger not working in turret mode and the responses seemed to indicate that it was a feature of Guardian weapons (or experimental weapons in general) to have them only work in multicrew. If the Guardian shard cannons work fine as automatic turrets in "target only" mode them I am going to unlock those right away because I am really enjoying my large fixed shard cannon but would also like to use the turret versions. I use medium overcharged corrosive multicannons on most of my ships as turret weapons and would like to swap them out with medium shard cannon turrets to see if that gives me better burst damage. I do realize that from a pure dps perspective an Engineered gimballed frag cannon would probably be a better choice but I like the visual effect and the ability to theoretically engage both humans and Thargoids effectively using the same weapon.
    im currently out farming meta alloys for the corrosive resist cargo racks,
    but when i am back, and i dont forget it, i will finally test the other combination: NPC crewman + fixed plasma charger and flak.
    i wonder if the NPC AI can actually use them.
    that would be Krait

but when i am back, and i dont forget it, i will finally test the other combination: NPC crewman + fixed plasma charger and flak.
    that would be Krait
    That's an interesting thought, and would suggest at least some of the code to use them is there. It's possible they will fire them in minimum power mode every time though, due to just tapping the fire button...

Originally Posted by Novo Mundus View Post (Source)
    That's an interesting thought, and would suggest at least some of the code to use them is there. It's possible they will fire them in minimum power mode every time though, due to just tapping the fire button...
    i can tell now, my NPC pilot will at least fire the plasmas fully charged,
    and my focused pulse laser turrets and plasma imperial fighter are no good against scouts at all

my krait did better with two shard turrets and an multi-condor.

that would be Krait
    That sounds interesting, I suspect that the NPC pilots who fly the SLF can use the fixed versions of the Guardian weapons when they are flying your main ship but I wonder if they will fire it in both rapid-fire mode and full-charge mode or if they are limited to one mode only. I've found that NPCs tend to use too many resources when I let them fly my ship, like rapidly wasting my SCBs and missiles even when there's no particular need to do so. That's why I just let them fly the SLF since they are too inefficient at running my main ship properly. They also don't use pips particularly well and I've never seen them consistently keep 4 pips to shields so they can't keep the main ship from taking damage anywhere nearly as well as I can using basic pip management and strategic use of SCBs.

i can tell now, my NPC pilot will at least fire the plasmas fully charged,
    Do they also fire rapid-fire mode as well or do they default to only the full-charge mode?

and my focused pulse laser turrets and plasma imperial fighter are no good against scouts at all

my krait did better with two shard turrets and an multi-condor.
    I am currently using a single large shard cannon and I have been rather disappointed in terms of the burst damage. It has an effective range of up to 1.7 km but in practice I've found that I have to be within 500 m or less to actually get most of the shards on target and it is basically useless beyond 1 km even against large ships. I am going to outfit a Guardian plasma charger instead to see if I like that any better but I have to upgrade my power plant first as I am right at the limit of my grade 6 low emissions PP that I have installed on my Krait. I don't want to go up to a class 7 PP due to the weight but I need the low emissions mod for the heat management since the Krait is not a very cool running ship in stock configuration. I if I can get a larger PP fit to work without excessive weight issues then I should be able to swap out my shard cannon with a plasma charger and see if that weapon is more useful.

Wish I could have an NPC gunner running the turretted plasma chargers...

Guess I better go and get more blueprints. Going to build a Alien killing ship from scratch. Just wanted to see how these worked
    You can come crew on my krait to test it out.

Commander name same as account name here. Friend me and send me a message if you seen me online.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12