Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone else love the Asp Scout's engine layout?

Originally Posted by Madrax573 View Post (Source)
    Well basically put since it's update with the extra slot and size increase it has become a very good multipurpose ship.

This is what I used to use as a general purpose runner. https://s.orbis.zone/_5hfHzoo

But when it comes to numbers it boils down to Agility, agility, agility and having an oversized PD which allows the 2M + 2S hardpoints to be cap hungry and still have long firing times and lots of boosting capacity to take advantage of aforementioned crazy agility.
    A lot of people will talk about the oversized canopy it shares with the ASP-E but if you can fly the scout you should never be face tanking anyways.
    Inspired by your build I'm giving it a try. It's not quite as engineered as yours, but it's along the same lines.

One thing is, I have never had good experiences with frag cannons for some reason. I never seem to be getting the DPS at the level that it should be on paper. I'm sure that's on me though. I am not a very good combat pilot. Even after 650+ hours, I still find NPCs to be challenging opponents.

The other thing is, I find the Asp Scout to be quite drifty, which does something to negate the high agility rating to me. Even with G3DD thrusters I have a hard time staying on the tails of far less maneuverable ships.

I think I am basically required to reply to Asp Scout threads now, so here we go.

The rather unique back view is part of what I like about the Asp Scout. It is very distinctive in screenshots and still pretty fresh because not enough people go exploring in it. It is becoming my preferred vessel at this point because it has about the same jump range as my exploration T6 but turns better than any common explorer ship.

Another reason I love it: Because of ergonomics, I have been playing with an Xbox controller lately. It sometimes likes to hit boost and reset pips instead of put down landing gear like it is supposed to. The other day, that happened inside a starport. In the AspS, I was able to flip the ship and full stop right above the pad without hitting anything. Try that in a Cutter!

Originally Posted by Farran View Post (Source)
    I think I am basically required to reply to Asp Scout threads now, so here we go.

The rather unique back view is part of what I like about the Asp Scout. It is very distinctive in screenshots and still pretty fresh because not enough people go exploring in it. It is becoming my preferred vessel at this point because it has about the same jump range as my exploration T6 but turns better than any common explorer ship.

Another reason I love it: Because of ergonomics, I have been playing with an Xbox controller lately. It sometimes likes to hit boost and reset pips instead of put down landing gear like it is supposed to. The other day, that happened inside a starport. In the AspS, I was able to flip the ship and full stop right above the pad without hitting anything. Try that in a Cutter!
    You're making me want one!!

Asp Scout update:

After playing around in my local HiRez (usually the most I can handle), I can say one thing for sure: I have figured out how to use fragment cannons and they are pretty cool. They absolutely shred small ships and make medium opponents much easier. But against large ships my medium fragment cannons seemed to drop off pretty fast. I'm sure that's how it's supposed to work but it definitely makes me want to avoid large ship opponents with these weapons. I'm sure some folks like to hang around in a large ship's blind spot and whittle them down, but I'm not a good enough pilot to stay in their blind spots and it seems to take a long time in any event. I'm sure that a ship with a large hard point would be a big quality of life upgrade in this regard.

The other breakthrough I had was that I seem to be getting a better handle on the drifty-ness of the ship and can account for it better. I am still having trouble staying out of the line of fire of some opponents though - NPC Imperial Clippers really seem to have my number for some reason. I know I should be able to fly circles around a ship like that in the Asp Scout but that's just not happening. I'm sure it's down to my lack of piloting skill and not necessarily a reflection on the ship itself.

I also find myself struggling with pip management in this ship for some reason. The shields aren't great on an Asp Scout and but the engines ARE great. So I've been prioritizing engines over systems when it comes to pips as a general rule. When I do put more pips to systems it doesn't seem to make much difference most of the time in terms of shield lifespan.

This is all in a bounty hunting context, of course. I haven't really put the ship through its paces in other mission types.

Reminds me of the EE Frightning

Originally Posted by S0rkvild View Post (Source)
    FD should do something with Asp S. Needs so kind of oomph - like an extra weapon slot, extra internal, that ridiculous canopy reworked, more utility slots, cheaper price, ANYTHING. And yeah that cool wing extension - foldable
    Sooo much yes, I'd say make it like 30% smaller and give it anoter C2/C1, also much faster as well :3. An actual combat ASP would be wicked.

One gap in the ship market is a capable long range pewpew vessel. (Yeah the ASPx can be, but you loose so much adding weight, same with the DBX/DBS)

Originally Posted by TheMegaTurnip View Post (Source)
    Sooo much yes, I'd say make it like 30% smaller and give it anoter C2/C1, also much faster as well :3. An actual combat ASP would be wicked.

One gap in the ship market is a capable long range pewpew vessel. (Yeah the ASPx can be, but you loose so much adding weight, same with the DBX/DBS)
    Some sort of equivalent to Vulture so people can choose. Right now it is - Vulture this, Vulture that. Since Lakon pulled of a great job with new medium fighters, so why not to roll with the punches and do something with Asp.

Some sort of equivalent to Vulture so people can choose. Right now it is - Vulture this, Vulture that. Since Lakon pulled of a great job with new medium fighters, so why not to roll with the punches and do something with Asp.
    Yup, I agree man.

Also, I know it's off topic but I REALLY hope FDev put in another light fighter somewhat like the Viper IV handling dynamic because its f*cking wonderful, but with something like a large and three smalls ahaha.

Originally Posted by TheMegaTurnip View Post (Source)
    Yup, I agree man.

Also, I know it's off topic but I REALLY hope FDev put in another light fighter somewhat like the Viper IV handling dynamic because its f*cking wonderful, but with something like a large and three smalls ahaha.
    It's probably too much to ask, but I would love it if the Asp Scout was given a hard point configuration similar to the DBX. I actually have a lot of fun bounty hunting in the DBX despite its relative sluggishness. Two medium beam lasers and a large MC are a great combination, even un-engineered like mine are.

With the AspS's ability to maintain time on target for longer periods, medium beams would be even more potent...

A minor point, but I wish they'd put actual proper reverse thruster exhaust ports on the ship. Currently they're just solid hull material:

https://i.imgur.com/RXbFp7x.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/CdSgZ3a.jpg

The AspS does its job just fine when compared to its big brother. Cheaper but still a solid Ship if you have realistic expectations.

I just recently bought one, finally. Equipped it as an explorer with 47 ly jump range. It's not a bad ship, just limited. I do like the way it looks.

Originally Posted by AIKI_ZVEZDA View Post (Source)
    Every other ship has 2 or more thruster blocks placed along the edges of the ship.
    In an engineering standpoint it's definitely a great idea to have more than 1 main engine, in case the others fail (even though that's not how it works in game... if 1 drive goes down, they take the rest with them)

Although, considering the engines themselves are off center, the rotational thrusters would have to work pretty hard to keep the ship flying straight, and in an atmosphere it'd pretty much be a need for an emergency landing.

Not the Asp Scout, though! Because it's got dead center engines, there wouldn't be that much of a thrust difference,
    Except the Asp's engines are not centred in the z axis (assuming x is port to starboard, y is fore to aft, and z is 'up' and 'down') so you have exactly the same problem.

Fundamentally you need the Center of Mass of the ship to be along the axis of combined thrust of the engines. There is clearly more mass in the asp below the axis of thrust* so without stabilising thrust from lateral engines, every time you turn the main engines on this ship is going to nose-down.

There are very good reasons why current vessels** that have all of their thrust concentrated along the axis of centre of mass which results in a tubular 'rocket' shape.

[...] so it could concievably fly with one engine dead, although at a much slower speed.
    No, half the thrust but the same mass would mean it has half the acceleration not speed.

* Assuming the Asp has uniform density across its volume

** Vessels such as the old space shuttle had much greater issues to overcome because of their aerodynamic design for re-entry glide that co axial mass and thrust became a secondary consideration. As a consequence it was a pig to steer in space (but then it also didn't go far)

Do you believe in this mythical Asp Scout buff? First I read about this thing back in February, we've gone through Q2,Q4 that were ideal for such implementation and now Q4 is just behind the corner, but from what FD told us already there are no words regarding the Scout...

Do you believe in this mythical Asp Scout buff? First I read about this thing back in February, we've gone through Q2,Q4 that were ideal for such implementation and now Q4 is just behind the corner, but from what FD told us already there are no words regarding the Scout...
    Was there another one mentioned? I think the February thread came before the slot changes so that might be it unless it gets another pass.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast